1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jack Stephens

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, May 9, 2017.

1. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

To be fair though a miss placed pass out of defence by a CB is usually more costly than a midfielders pass further forward. Although granted a midfielders miss placed pass out of defence could be just as costly.

2. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

The effect of a run of games to a young player could not be clearer in the case of Jack. I think it was his second game when we went up to Anfield in the League Cup and most were scared that he was going to get ripped a new one, he returns last week after playing the last 14 games and not a peep from anyone here before the game, the lad has def come on as a player.
    Teams that play on the ground he does well against, but I think he does lack the physical side and his defending of crosses is not the best. I think he is a defensive midfielder and possible back up CB, but he could forge a great partnership with Romeu

tiggermaster likes this.
  3. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think McGuire is any better than Maya - and, if Hull stay up, they won't want to lose him, so we'd end up paying over the odds for, in my opinion, a big lump who hasn't done a lot all season (apart from keeping our attack quiet, which isn't their fault, apparently, but Claude's). I'd rather we kept Virgil and played him and Jack in most games, with Maya on the bench and coming in when we want to play 3 at the back.

4. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Mcguire is a very good cb

5. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

I still think Maya is his equal (or <whispers> his better) .....

6. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

Gibson has had a good season, but I see him staying loyal to Boro

7. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Each to their own

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  8. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Has tonight cleared things up a little as to the potential vulnerabilities of Yoshida and Stephens?

Of course one game with a few mistakes doesn't make them bad defenders but "the level the club wants to be" is a level that doesn't allow such mistakes.

9. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

We're essentially playing with two backup defenders, and have been for half a season. I don't think they're our "A-grade pairing" by any stretch, but they're both good backups. It's been unfortunate that they've been pushed into this situation.

NISaint likes this.
  10. NISaint

NISaint Well-Known Member

Ha, were you sitting waiting for full time to post that? Amazing how soon after the whistle went that this appeared. I didn't say that I wanted them to be our main centre back pairing, did I? As LTL says, we've ended up having to play two back up defenders together but I think both of them have played with enough credit lately to be trusted with a starting place alongside either VD or his replacement. I said I thought it would be a bit harsh to demote them both back to the bench and I stand by that. It almost seems from your message like you expect to find me choking on my own words lol. That's not the case at all, sorry.

Velcro Roy likes this.

11. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Absolutely.

My point is that neither of these two are currently (Stephens is still learning) good enough to be our starting centre backs next season and therefore we must bring in a top centre back to partner virgil.

I have nothing against Yoshida or Stephens. In fact I have been hugely impressed with how they have both stepped up; they have been much better than I expected. However, despite them exceeding expectations I still think we need better and am confused by people saying they have earned the right to start next season.

Puck and Le Tissier’s Laces like this.
  12. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

See my above reply.

You didn't suggest they should be our starting partnership but did say theye earned the right to be a starting CB next season - which is what I disagree with as neither are good enough.

13. NISaint

That's your opinion lol. I on the other hand would be happy to have one of them play alongside VVD. Your first message though was in relation to the match tonight which I don't understand, seeing as they were both playing together and not with van Dijk. Tonight was meant to have what, "cleared up" my opinion that one of them would be good enough to partner Virgil lol?

14. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

We clearly disagree on that matter - which is fine.

I was using tonight as an example of why they are not good enough to be starting for us if we want to push on and challenge the top 6. Just, as you say, my opinion.

15. NISaint

You mean tonight was a good example of why they shouldn't start together, which I never said should happen but ok :) We were playing Arsenal too remember, it's not like it was a league two team or something.

16. NISaint

But hey, it still sucks that we lost. Fed up with this season which at this minute supersedes my qualms with the defenders at our disposal.

Archers Road likes this.
  17. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

We need a better CB partnership if we want a top half finish. Both Stephens and Yoshida are decent defenders, but you need something better than that to reach a good position in the league. We can manage with them in the starting lineup, but I really doubt we would have a successful season in that case.

Archers Road likes this.
  18. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

As a pair I agree they are not quite good enough against the top sides. The likes of Costa, Sanchez, Ibrahimovic or Giroud will tend to get between them at some point (though arguably those strikers will get between most defensive units).

Individualy, I'd put either of them alongside VvD, with slight preference for Jack as I think he is improving rapidly. When betting on horses it pays to back the improving animal. Same thing with players really.

19. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Next season will be better. We have to believe that, don't we?

20. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Yoshida is a full international and has a lot of experience. Young Jack has under 21 experience but is not by any means the finished article. He needs for time before he can be a true 1st choice. He has done exceedingly well though and just shows the faith the board has in him. After all he has been out on loan is it 4 years? I still think he will become a top defender.