1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jack Stephens

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, May 9, 2017.

1. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I can see Yoshida wanting to go if we are after a new starting cb (which we are). Like I said on the Liverpool game thread, Stephens is showing Gardos how a back up cb should play.
    Also McCarthy is starting to worry me a little, with his contract running out. So it could be two new cbs in the summer.

2. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Yeah but I thought McCarthy was considered more of a RB anyway.

3. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Learning the game at rb, before changing to cb. Happened to Chambers as well, we have a thing for doing it.

4. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Well if we offered McCarthy enough I'm sure he would Commit.

5. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Jack and Maya have both stepped up when we needed then to. Very pleased with both of them this season. As for VVD, not much needs to be said other than let us hope and pray we refuse to sell him.

Get rid of Gardos, let Caceres loan expire and then bring in a quality centre half to partner with Virgil. Then when VVD next summer we will have the decisions as to whether Jack has improved enough to start or whether we need to bring in another starting CB.

6. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

You have a good memory; l had forgotten how much Fonte struggled early on. I do think Stephens has done incredibly well and l do think he has the attributes to become an excellent CB: better then Fonte; maybe a new VVD.

7. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

Had a chat with Claude, we both agree that Jack is an outstanding talent and a nailed on first choice starter for the next 12 seasons. We also agreed to look for a back-up in the summer and then decide who to partner him with after pre-season.

8. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Yeah, but are CBs really that important SIS?....

9. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

well Palace played without a recognised CB on Saturday and lost 5-0. (and as we know, it's the exception that proves the rule!) :)

Saints_Alive likes this.
  10. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Well the club has said it wants to make the Champions League or at least challenge for Europe. He simply isn't at the level a team aiming for that would need as a first choice defender. Doesn't mean he's a poor player and he's fine as backup or as first choice for a mid-table side but he's too prone to errors and lapses in concentration for a side with European ambitions.

I don't think his future hinges on VVD, that suggests we want rid of him. I'm sure the club would be happy to keep him either way and fair enough, he seems a good personality and probably a good dressing room influence. I just think that we will be aiming to buy another central defender this summer and suspect Yoshida may ask to leave because he won't be happy to stay here as backup.

11. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

One of my favourite players this year. Reads the game well and looks composed on the ball. Made important interceptions. Sign him up long term. with inevitable team rotation he will get a good amount of games.

Players like McGuire and Keane quite rightly get a lot of praise. I believe Stephens is equally as good and can learn from the best in VVD.

A good player now and a great prospect for the future.

Velcro Roy likes this.
  12. Bill Hill

Bill Hill Well-Known Member

For me Stephen's is nowhere near ready for us yet if we are aiming at the top 6 or even top 8. Good on the ball, decent tackler and has good potential. But pretty hopeless in the air especially against the bigger centre forwards in the league. That may improve in time but for me he is nowhere near the answer for next season except as back up. Or loan to good championship side.

13. tiggermaster

tiggermaster Well-Known Member

We should sign a quality centre back, Keep VVD. Stephens should play alongside Romeo. We would soon be as strong as Morgan and Wanyama in front of Fonte and Toby.
    Stephens is very mobile, don't compare him with genuine centre backs, think Eric Dier. We have 3 left backs, At least 2 right backs and Yoshida. Could be an awesome defence.
    Tigger's feeling positive, thank god for sunny evenings with gin and tonics..:emoticon-0128-hi:

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  14. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I suppose I've got to stop feeling sorry for Gardos. But for injuries I think he would probably have prospered at SAints, but e seems to have lost whatever potential
    Hmm, yeah. Now there's a couple of CBs. Occasionally, perhaps we could have Martini [yes, spelling is off, but it's a joke] to come in and partner Gin. Especially against Arsenal. ;)

tiggermaster likes this.
  15. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Fair play to Jack & Yoshi for giving the Southampton management a bit of a summer headache.

As ever it's the balance between the future & the right now.
    Since Virgils injury we have conceded a lot of goals. Now it's a team game and its not just the Centre backs defending, but it's hard to think that we can get back to the level we were the last few seasons with these two as starters.
    Back threes are en vogue at the moment and this might be a good option if we want to keep VVD, Yoshi, sign a new Centre back and still give Jack game time to continue his improvement

16. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Stephens and Virgil as first choice pairing next season. Pretty obvious I'd have thought. After that it gets complicated.

17. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Agreed.

18. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

As I said earlier in the thread, I would like Stephens to be moved into the DM during the pre-season to play alongside Romeu in a similar way to Eric Dier of Spurs.
    That would leave (hopefully) VVD and Newbie (McGuire please) as first choices with Yoshie as back up & cup games

19. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see if Puel decides that Jack is too good a CB to lose so will keep playing him there or he'd like him to play more forward (with the advantage of him being a good back up CB if needed). A useful player, but it will come down to what Puel sees everyday on the training pitch. My gut feeling....he'll keep playing him at CB because he could be a great one.

20. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

I can't see a single iota of evidence as to why Jack should be pushed past Maya.

The complaint that Maya has mistakes in him is simply confirmation bias. No-one seems to notice how many of Oriol's passes go astray (and there are plenty, believe me) yet if Maya misplaces one the crowd groans as though that's what they expect from him.

Maya's solid. Jack isn't, yet.

Vin