1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It's tough to put up with when...

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by wishiwasinliverpool, May 24, 2017.

1. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

I can't imagine they will win much next season unless they spend heavy again. Not whilst Jose in charge. He's toxic.

2. moreinjuredthanowen

hopefully.

3. moreinjuredthanowen

they will spend lots.

The issue with that type of game in CL is it will get you through groups if you have 2nd seeding but the proper sides will cream it.

in the end i expect a glut of cash form city and utd and really it depends which side improves most

and the reality is Utd have a solid base defence to build on while city have the forwards and usually what happens is a defensive side improves does better than an attacking side who can't defend

4. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

No doubt klopp should have added to the squad sooner.

But the summer is here and this is the time. Even after the summer, we will need 1-2 more windows more. There is a lot of work that is required. As long we keep making good progress each ...

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  5. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

I think we took the League Cup seriously enough, but we just played a better team over two legs. The FA Cup thing was ****ing abysmal and totally expected.

wishiwasinliverpool likes this.
  6. Jimmy Squarefoot

Performance in cups wasn't good enough but we qualified for top 4 which is good in itself. We needed to qualify for CL in order to progress and develop this squad further.

Winning a league cup or FA cup would have had zero impact in the long run.

saintKlopp likes this.
  7. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

In retrospect, without European football and doing poorly in the Cups, getting 4th was the minimum we should have achieved. With the mancs clearly focusing on the Europa and Arsenal in free fall helping us. If the mancs had been fighting with us for that 4th, then fair enough.

Don't dismiss the Cups. We've never in the past and these trophies do provide us with some cheer don't they?

8. AndyI

AndyI Well-Known Member

You should never dimiss the cups and get into the "4th is everything" mindset, or you turn in Arsenal with their groundhog day. Obsessed by a trophy they can't compete in.

Even they have won the FA cup twice recently and are in the final again.

However you dress it up:
    1 lc in the last 11 years and no trophies in the last 5 years.
    Is piss poor.

Ok, we've lost a few finals in that period but i'd take any bloody trophy next season!

9. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

The feeling should be more of relief that we are moving in the right direction. But to say that we've had a successful season like some are proclaiming is gilding the lily in my opinion. Not when we only had Arsenal trying to catch us from a hopeless distance.

Let's hope that Klopp does spend on bringing some top players and reinforce the squad. Let's not have anymore of the "considering the thin squad we had...". We can see every club will be reinforcing and that surely will mean to stand still is to go backwards.

10. Jimmy Squarefoot

I'm not dismissing the cups - trophies are very important but we've been without CL for a while and we will continue to be stifled without it.

Qualifying for CL is better for our long term growth which will then enable us to challenge for trophies. Winning the league cup is a nice trophy to have but would have had no impact on our ability to attraact players and build the squad.

Merely qualifying for CL is pointless - it's about giving us a chance to get better players to then go onto win trophies

carlthejackal likes this.

11. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

The 4th place trophy has skewed football imo.

The 4th best side in England 'wins' the right to enter a competition that they've got little or no realistic chance of winning.

But it's supposedly great because the side can attract better players, but without a huge squad then the extra games can impinge on league form, so the following season you might miss out on the 4th place trophy and these "CL players" might want to **** off again. It's mad when you think about it.

Football should be about pots, winning pots breeds a winning mentality within a club, and creates belief. I'd have taken the LC this season over a EL place and I'd take an FA Cup win over a CL place.

AndyI, Solid_Air 2 and BobbyD like this.
  12. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Wishi it's been tough putting up with stuff for quite some time not just losing those two finals.

Klopp has brought back the feel good factor and that's a start. Getting 4th with some of our performances was no mean feat. We have a long way to go but at least we've got something to look forward to - it's been a while <laugh>

13. LuisDiazgamechanger

Tobes, not very kind of you, but I am not surprised.

14. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

It wasn't directed at Liverpool specifically and it wasn't unkind, merely realism. But seeing as you've made it about Liverpool, then I'll say with confidence that you haven't got a snowballs chance in hell of lifting that pot next season mate <ok> You're a million miles behind the likes of Barca, Madrid and Bayern.

Arsenal have competed in it for over 20 years and invariably get knocked out in the last 8/16 #standard

15. Jimmy Squarefoot

Qualifying for top 4 isn't a replacement for winning trophies.

It's to enable the club to become better to then win trophies in the future.

16. moreinjuredthanowen

we all are you are perfectly right

all english clubs are miles off it.

IF someone has the balls to put absolutely everything into it and be very solid and tactics (not hoofers) someone might get into a favorable QF draw but IMO that should be that.

17. moreinjuredthanowen

yes cos we know we are **** but want to not be ****... unlike everton....

18. Jimmy Squarefoot

Actually ties back into another thread but we had Rafa who was tactically astute but labelled as boring...

Personally - I think we will see a strong showing in Europe next season from English clubs. Because conte Pep Klopp mourinho are experienced managers who understand European football.

It's no coincidence that there was a big gap between the big clubs and the rest in the league this year.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  19. LuisDiazgamechanger

I pray that Everton and Liverpool go through in the qualifying round of both Europa and Champion leagues. We see how your team are going to
    travel to Bulgaria on Thursday and play on Sunday. Wonder if you can cope with the pressure of Europe.

20. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

It's not pressure that'll be an issue, it's squad depth, you'll have the same problem.

United played 64 games this season, you played 47, we played 41, that's a colossal difference. The way Klopp plays with the high energy style etc, you'll need a big summer if you're going to be able to compete on all fronts.

philo beddoe likes this.