1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Its tight at the top and even tighter at the bottom!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Singing Blue 3, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Singing Blue 3

Singing Blue 3 Well-Known Member

It really is an interesting football season!.

In the Premier League whilst Man Utd and Arsenal are just 4 points apart it seems the title race will be between these two clubs. The relegation places whilst currently dominated by the four teams whose name begins with a 'W' are engaged in a dogged relegation fight it seems already. Just 3 points separates the last relegation place of 18th place and Fulham in 12th spot, and just a further 3 points separates Stoke in 9th position from the desperation of relegation in 18th position in the league. It looks as though that particular battle will only be decided very near to the end of the season and probably on the final day of the season!

Similarly in The Championship QPR seem to have scampered away at the top and look certain to be in an automatic promotion position and favorites for the Championship title. A whole host of 5 clubs follow chasing the other automatic promotion position separated by just a mere 1 point. At the bottom the last 3 clubs have lost ground and indeed the 3 relegation positions appear to be a fight to the death between the current bottom 4 unless other clubs near the bottom dramatically lose form and fail to register points against those sides around them at the bottom.

In league 1, Brighton look to be Champions elect but the other automatic position appears to be up for grabs. Bournemouth have the points on the board and currently lie second, saints have games in hand as do Charlton, and with Huddersfield also in the mix it could go down again to the last day of the season before this last automatic promotion place is settled. Only 3 points separate the last play off place and 8th place. So it sure to be an exciting end to the season.

I have not focussed on the bottom of League 1 or League 2 as this does not at this stage of season really concern the 3 South Coast teams wanting to get promotion to the Championship and Pompey who are already there and look to be staying there at the end of this season hopefully.

Given all the above who do you think will be relegated from the Premiership into the Championship and will all three South Coast teams, namely Brighton, Bournemouth and Saints make it back to the Championship with Pompey, and a positive plethera of South Coast derby matches next season?

What are your thoughts?

2. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

Hi Singing Blue 3

Good Question: I think both Southampton & Brighton will be in Championship next season, but sadly I cant see Bournemouth there! So far Brighton have had a cracking season , the Seagulls have not had their 'bad spell' just yet so soon as that starts we could see a battle for 1st & 2nd Place between Brighton & Saints! <laugh>
    As much as I would like to see the Cherries in the Championship with the rest of us , after Howe's departure I think Cherries fan will agree that they have written off Promotion and looking at maintaining League 1 status!

My Thoughts: SAINTS , Brighton & Huddersfield all to be promoted

3. Singing Blue 3

Singing Blue 3 Well-Known Member

Hi Kingsland as I said on the mirror thread on our board, it is going to be very tight right up to the last day of the season, particularly in League 1 on auto promotion and also in the the relegation fight in the Premiership!

4. Saint Possum

Saint Possum Well-Known Member

If i was a betting man, then yes Brighton, Southampton, Charlton and poss Huddersfield would be my top teams to pick 3 out off. But i don't think this leagues top places are set in stone and i really believe there will be a unexpected team or two who actually gets promoted. Maybe at our expense, Who knows.

5. RedStripe

RedStripe Member

Saints and Charlton to get autos, Brighton to win play-offs. You heard it here first!

6. settheSTandard

A fair and accurate summing up of the situation by Singing Blue 3.

Whilst the disappointment of 2 relegations in recent times were hard to bear, there is something to be said for playing in leagues where any supporters dream of success can be fulfilled. The trouble is, that same success leads you back to the league where the only race you are going to be in is to avoid relegation.

To be promoted, my heart says Saints, Brighton & Bournemouth but my head says Brighton, Charlton & Saints