1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It's not all down to finances

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Eireleeds1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Time and time again I've read the posts about Bates lack of financing of our club. While it would be welcome, I feel it is not crucial for our promotion prospects next season. Norwich and Swansea spent little as did Blackpool the previous season. We may only need three new players to bolster the side providing we hold on to the important members of last seasons squad. So please have patience, spending wads of cash on a player doesn't guarantee he will be a success, just as getting in a freebie doesn't guarantee he will be a flop

2. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

Actually Blackpool were the absolute exception to the rule. And you've got to remember, they still signed Charlie Adam for £500k which was an ambitious move.

Swansea have spent around £4m over the last two seasons, Norwich have spent £5.5m. Check it out on transfermarkt.de if you don't believe me. In general these days, if you want to get promoted, you have to splash the cash. Over the last two seasons, Leeds have spent a paltry (in comparison) £1.5m. Now we've done well getting players like Becchio, Snodgrass, Gradel and Somma on the cheap, but when it comes to the crucial positions we need to strengthen right now, it's time for fees not frees. Emboldened that bit because it sounded so damn good. :p

3. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

They're hardly colossal amounts of money Norwich or Swansea spent over two seasons. Though. If money was that crucial, then surely we wouldn't be able to compete with the three teams relegated this year. I agree though one of Graysons managerial weaknesses has been his transfer dealings in general. Like all managers he insists he won't sign a player unless they'll improve team but that has rarely been the case. Well have to hope we get a crop of good young un's soon and they get a chance like O'Leary did for a while

4. Jerel Ifil

Just looked up the other teams who made the top six this year and their transfer outlay over the last two seasons.

QPR - £6m
    Norwich - £5.5m
    Swansea - £4m
    Cardiff - £6m
    Reading - £7m
    Nottm Forest - £7m

You're right that it's not all down to finances, but the bottom line is this: finance helps an awful lot, without serious finance it's very hard to get promoted, and the £1.5m we've spent pales in comparison to that spent by all the other clubs I listed above. They may not seem like colossal amounts, but they certainly are when you compare them with our figures. Spending won't guarantee anyone success, but not spending will pretty much guarantee you a lack of success.

It's a sad state of affairs that one has to buy one's way to success these days, but by abstaining from expenditure, all we're doing is hurting our future promotion chances. You never know, we might all be surprised this summer and see Ken get his wallet out and buy some class replacements. But if it doesn't happen and we miss out on promotion again, we'll all know why.

5. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

I think we should spend a couple of million getting players for our key positions, CM and defence. And isn't Andrew Taylor available on a free? He looked decent whenever I saw him play.

6. MarkoLUFC

MarkoLUFC Well-Known Member

isn't it rumoured we've offered 2 mill for Joey Barton?

7. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

Is it!?

8. Jerel Ifil

Can't find anything about Barton on Google or Newsnow. It would be an unbelievable piece of business though.