1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It is not called the EPL

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by xLuKeYx, Mar 4, 2011.

1. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

You honestly do not understand why Scots would call it the EPL?

2. COMAS

COMAS New Member

yes i do, but at no point is it called the epl anywhere officially or legally, therefore it is not the epl. I understand why you would call it that, but it is simply not

3. COMAS

COMAS New Member

its like your fa it is actually called the scottish football association, our is not it is the original association it is the FA there is no english before it, it is the original

4. COMAS

COMAS New Member

"The FA is a member of both UEFA and FIFA and holds a permanent seat on the International Football Association Board (IFAB) which is responsible for the laws of the game. As the first ever football association, it uniquely does not use the national name (i.e. English) in its title (compared to the Scottish Football Association, for example). It is based at Wembley Stadium, London, United Kingdom having moved from offices at Soho Square in 2009."

Hence why it is not the EFA the original organsation does not need to site nationality in its titles

5. COMAS

COMAS New Member

what next you call the priginal fa cup the E.F.A cup :p

6. DevAdvocate

And as far as I can see no one has ever argued that point. EPL is simply shorthand for Scots (and others) to say which league they are talking about.

There is no such word as "thx" but people type it every day when using a mobile phone text service.

7. COMAS

COMAS New Member

i understand why you do it, but it is not the efa, that was the whole point of what i said. I woudlnt refer to yours as the sfa because to b ehonest i would never talk of it as it is irrelevant

8. COMAS

COMAS New Member

you should type pl for the english league as that is its name and SPL for your as again that is its actual name

9. DevAdvocate

It's so irrelevant that you have spent the last half hour arguing the toss.

10. COMAS

COMAS New Member

people use thx because its a shortinging of the name, epl is not a shortening of our league it is simply the premier league, spl is a shortinging of your as it is the SCOTTISH PREMIER LEAGUE

Scotland have an fa cup do you call it the fa cup??? and ours the EFA cup?

11. COMAS

COMAS New Member

Im talking about the premier league

12. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

<laugh>

13. jinius

jinius New Member

Its known as the EPL everywhere except England this is to distinguish it from other Premier Leagues and because many broadcasters will not use the sponsors name in their titling. For the people posting the SPL is so called because the league is the Scottish Premier League, you are wrong. The SPL's official name is The Clydesdale Bank Premier League, which like the English League is named after a sponsor. Another example is the Carling Premier League, many leagues have sponsors in their official names but for clarity and consistency they all have an underlying name eg SPL, EPL. It is no different to any other sport for example the ATP AEGON Championships, formerly known as the ATP Stella Artois Championships is always referred to as Queens, because that is where it is held.

14. spurtle

spurtle New Member

It was the EPL last season and now this coming season it is the EWPL (English and Welsh Premier League). Next season it will go back to being the EPL again, sorry Swansea fans.

15. BrixtonR

BrixtonR Well-Known Member

Personally, I live in London and just call it the prem cos I'm lazy. My Scottish team (Cally Thistle) play in the SPL.

But you've got me thinking... how English is the prem? Like it or not, it's become a world football circus with all too few British, much less English managers and players... Should I call it the world prem?

Nah. I'm still lazy and it's still the prem! You call it what you like. EPL, BPL, aPL, who gives a ****? We all know what we're referring to.

16. JamieT567

JamieT567 Member

This whole debate is stupid, From a Swans fan I honestly couldn't care if you called it the English Premier League, You are factually wrong in saying it but I honestly don't give a crap.

17. Scottswan

Scottswan Active Member

It´s only EPL to you because your league is also called the Premiership, and the bigwigs cunningly put your countries name before it, same as ours did when it was formed in 1992.

To anyone watching on TV in other parts of the world it´s known as the EPL because all of the teams have always been from England, and it´ll still be the case, but it doesn´t stop it being wrong! The sponsors pay, so it´s the [sic]"insert-sponsor-here" Premier League. End of.

18. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

It is now officially called the 'Anglo-Celtic Premier League' to celebrate the day Swansea won promotion!.........
    please log in to view this image

19. Mrmagooooooo

Mrmagooooooo Member

I dont care what its called either. Could be the Tampax league for all i care.... as long as we're in it thats all that mattersm :bandit:<ok>

20. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

It's the Premier League in much the same way as stamps from the United Kingdom are the only ones in the world which are not required to state which country they've come from - an image of the reigning Monarch is enough.

And as Welsh clubs can also participate (Swansea being a case in point) calling it the English Premier League would be inaccurate.