1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Is this too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Feb 29, 2016.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I get 75mbps wifi and no phone signal at all, despite living in a urban area, in my sitting room, which is where I need it. Glad it's not just me who gets the buffering on the big games.

2. Windom Earle

Windom Earle Well-Known Member

It's a sad case of population density for me ... choked in London as we have an old orange deal for £5 a month we refuse to change to EE

So in an effort to beat the choking software albeit maybe old hat
    I have a 2009 mac book pro 17 inch
    Which I ran non stop you tube anything on for 17 days this I was told was to get my demand average up as a user . Since doing it my speed has remained quick ... until my next router crash that is touch wood not for a while
    In France I am blessed as have an Standard Orange account in a hamlet which has new cables etc ... I am the only real user and again everything stay on after repeating the 17 day possible workaround

In short it's lighting quick and I download massive assets for working in seconds ... big video files
    My upload speeds again are crazy and I upload at least 50 times quicker than my works gear in my UK office and we had a dedicated line from BT

Crazy world as last week I was told that the amount of emails and activity went over 90% on mobile and tablet including business desktops

I am guessing we will see 100gb mobile contracts this time next year

The new currency is data

3. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I have just received my android TV box (OTT) and am using KODI. I am extremely impressed. It is a real paradigm change to streaming on the internet and clicking the crosses, etc.

I just hope that for the next televised R's match we are playing something worth watching! COYR's!!!!

Steelmonkey and Uber_Hoop like this.
  4. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Plus a big thanks to Steelmonkey for help and advice on what units to purchase. :)

kiwiqpr, Steelmonkey and QPR999 like this.
  5. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Quick update, just downloaded the latest version of Mobdro for my phone on recommendation from a pal, and watched the old firm game in the pub in full HD before going to Morton match....fully recommended for all Sky amd BT sports channels, as the new update apparently has some in-built buffering so streams are very good for all channels. This will work on any boxes that you guys have bought - Enjoy!

kiwiqpr likes this.
  6. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

HELP!!!

I am considering the purchase of an android TV Box. I have NO IDEA what to buy. I obviously want Sky Sports/Movies etc. I have looked on eBay and there appear to be so many different ones to choose from. Can someone do me a favour and look on eBay and PM the link to the one I should buy?

Thanks in advance.

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I've got one, but would seriously recommend you just download Kodi to an old laptop if you have one hanging around. I have found the version I have on an old Mac is much smoother than the android box, and I can project it to the telly via AirPlay. Even if you can't do this, play with it on a pc/laptop first to see if you really want one. Just search google for download instructions.

In general the more you spend the better it will be, look on Amazon and read the reviews. My £50 version is good for movies, box sets etc, but pretty crappy for live sports, loads of buffering (and I have excellent wifi). Which I don't get on the Mac.

8. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

Thanks SB but this is not the best option for me as I would like to ditch my Virgin TV boxes (I have 4) and replace them with Android. That way we can watch different channels in different rooms.

9. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

I have an Android box purchased from China for less than £30. I use it on my wifi network at home, and after I bought myself a beast of router I can watch every british and scandinavian channels plus all of the sport channels from the USA and Canada. I pay for a monthly (non-recurring) subscription though, 25 euros a month but that gets me full HD of every sport channel you can think of.
    No buffering, no interuptions. I have a 100/100 fibre network subscription from my internet supplier.

10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I am 100% certain that the boxes are not a like for like swap with Virgin or Sky boxes. All the android box is is a way to stream stuff from the web onto your TV. You can't just turn the telly on and tune into Sky Sports One in one or two clicks, you have to navigate through a bunch of different providers to find a decent stream. And you need a sensational memory to remember which are the good providers, because you start from scratch every time (at least I do, Steelmonkey is the expert on this, he may have shortcuts). You can load a 'skin' like The Beast, which makes this a bit easier and prettier.

Test it on a laptop or something first, to see if it's really what you think it is and would work for ordinary TV viewing for you. If you download to a laptop use a VPN, remember these things are inherently dodgy, may come laden with viruses. Which the dodgy box avoids, main selling point for me.

Steelmonkey likes this.

11. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Somehow I'm not surprised it works better in Norway, Norway.

12. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

I forgot maybe the most important part <doh>
    I use an app called Matrix TV. It works on iPhone and on un-licenced android boxes. It will not work on Apple TV, Nexus player or other android boxes bought from a store, believe me I've tried them all. For me it's easier and better than using Kodi. If you decide to use your PC then you don't need kodi, the place I buy my subscription from has a player built in their webpage.

13. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

It seems to me that in order to get the most out of these boxes/Internet streams etc, one has to be reasonably savvy with all things Internet/computers.
    Also, I read somewhere that
    providers such as sky/virgin/BT etc are doing everything they can to shut down illegal streaming of their pay-to-view services.

14. Steelmonkey

This is the one I recommended to QPRski couple of weeks ago....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...oid tv box&dpPl=1&dpID=412akUwtaKL&ref=plSrch

Although there are cheaper versions available.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...oid tv box&dpPl=1&dpID=51k5WahCqEL&ref=plSrch

I have four in my house, through various rooms, all loaded with Kodi, Mobdro and Showbox, with a single Virgin TV box on the lowest package (but with good internet speed).

Kodi can give you access to multiple box sets and films, plus access to live streams for all PL games. If QPR games are being streamed, but are not on Sky, I access using this.

However, the latest update on Mobdro gives me good access to all Sky and BT Sports channels, plus their other entertainment channels.

Showbox gives access to films and boxsets, constantly updates, and episodes are available normally within 12 hours of them being shown in the US - some of the add-ons in Kodi are the same.

As SB said, if you have an old laptop, give it a go, but otherwise look at one of the cheaper boxes, if you like it, then get another. They typically arrive next day, and take a little setting up - if you need some help, drop me a PM.

I dropped from £90/month to £40/month with Virgin, and access more top-rated content than if I'd had their full package. BT have tried blocking the streams, but a simple command line enteres into the BT router cures this - I've not had any issues with Virgin (yet!).

15. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

I wish I could go down this route but my internet speeds are ****e, currently paying Sky £104 a month!

16. Steelmonkey

That's cos you live in six-fingered cross-breeding Naaaaafolk <laugh><laugh><laugh>

Hoops Eternal likes this.
  17. Hoops Eternal

Absolutely spot on!

Uber_Hoop and Steelmonkey like this.
  18. Hoops Eternal

The only fibre we have around here is wheat and barley!

Steelmonkey likes this.
  19. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

We have the same problem here in darkest South Oxfordshire.

20. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

You can get Now TV for Sky entertainment, movies and sport for less than £40 a month for the next three months. I sometimes get a day pass for really big sporting events, £7. If I had Sky I would feel obliged to watch it all the time to get my money's worth.