1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is the penny beginning to drop about today's football?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by C'mon ref, Jul 9, 2017.

1. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Newland Tiger and mplooney like this.
  2. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

3. Rigsby

Rigsby Well-Known Member

There is a fundamental issue with the sustainability of both Sky and the Premier League and it comes from the fact that neither plan for the long term but instead work towards the next 2 or 3 years.

This means that they target an audience who want it now and can afford it now. However, they also alienate the next generation of supporters/audience. They've managed to make this work for 25 years but now the audience has also grown 25 years older.

I'm not so sure twentysomethings today are either interested or can afford either Sky football or Premier League football.

I also know loads of friends and family of my age bracket (40's) who are cancelling Sky and only chose occasional City games last season. There is a more cynical view of the money swashing around the game and people are no longer wanting to contribute to it.

Add in the alternatives of streaming and other platforms like Now TV and I think Sky, and therefore Premier League money, could be under threat when the next deal comes around.

4. Edelman

Yes it's a typical grab what you can now attitude.
    It's not exclusive to the Premier league as there's plenty of other leagues and sports the same.
    The NFL deals are very large with each team receiving $300 million per season

5. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Just read in Sunday paper, Messi's new 4-year deal will put him on £1m a week. Dunno what to say.

6. Edelman

That's good he might be able to pay his tax bill now the poor little lad.

7. over18and legal

over18and legal Well-Known Member

Worth every penny.
    All the shirts they sell around the world and what he does on the pitch<cheers>

It will all collapse in the long-run. Here's hoping <cheers>

askewshair and Edelman like this.
  8. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

People have been saying that for 30 years...

9. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

The thing with the NFL is there are no rival leagues that will ever get close to them, it'll always be the top American Football league.

The premier league can quite easily lose top spot to any number of more competitive and exciting leagues if the money dries up.

10. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

It's only fair that his pay reflects the vast amounts of money he generates for the club.

howdentiger likes this.

11. howdentiger

howdentiger Well-Known Member

It's no different to what some actors/singers earn over a year, why's everyone get so wound up over footballers earning it

PLT likes this.
  12. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

There are comedians touring in this country who make more. Peter Kay's last tour raked in £36million. Ridiculouscas top footnallers money is few feature in the top 30 earners in sportslet alone the entertainment business as a whole.

howdentiger likes this.
  13. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Much as we keep hearing about the demise of football, the declining interest is often a theme on RH when the likes of Gollum are on, the attendances in tbe top flight were the highest for 60 years or so, the other 3 divisions total last season was tbe highest since 1959 and the FA Cup,a competition the fans are supposedly no longer interested in, had the highest crowds since the mid sixties. I can think of some other sports which would be happy if tbey were in such a state of decline. The only fly in the ointment is that it is not the game, or at least the match day experience, us older ones knew and which made us fall in love with the game, with a different demographic. Unfortunately that is unlikely to change.

14. howdentiger

I have nothing against people at the top of their profession earning top ££, football is a business like any other in the entertainment industry....

15. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

It crazy money, but it is what it is.

But what is seriously wrong is things like trained nurses leaving the profession because they can earn as much if not more working at such as Aldi.
    That is just plain ridiculous. That's where 'the world', or at least our country, has lost the plot.
    Similar with other professions (doctors, care workers, teachers, etc etc) _.
    And if the government (not for one minute blaming Tories, as it was just as wrong under Labour) addressed these pay, condition & training issues, valuing such professions as they should be valued, the country wouldn't then be dependent on immigration to man our services, and wouldn't pay stupid money to locums, temps, etc.

16. x

x Well-Known Member

the people of the uk are not funding it, the world is, and it still seems desperate to keep throwing money at it.

17. Edelman

That's a true statement.
    It's the overseas money that's driving I up and the demand seems there for it.
    I can see it leveling out somewhat but no big reduction in the next decade.

18. over18and legal

I agree Kemps but I live in hope mate <cheers>

19. howdentiger

Nobody forces anyone to pay to watch football on TV....the money there is because there is a demand, aslong as there's demand then the money will be there, I honestly don't get why people get so wound up about it!

20. over18and legal

Maybe because it's ruined the game IMO anyway

mplooney likes this.