1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is Our Squad Really That Thin?

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Leeds United Super Sub, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Leeds United Super Sub

I was looking over who we have, and yes, in some areas we are very thin, but lets actually go over who we have.

Goalkeepers
    Rachubka

1 goalkeeper, so there's the obvious need for another signing there.

Defence
    Left Back: Ben Parker - Aidan White
    I think Ben probably deserves a second chance as he was thrown right in last season and he was barely fit after the injury, give him a pre-season and only SG can make the decision on him.
    Aidan has now been developed as a winger so he will more than likely play here when he does play, but he provides back up if push comes to shove and an injury occurs.

Right Back: Paul Connolly - Alex Bruce
    Paul did the job last season, he did it discretely and not many people noticed, just before Lichaj came in people started to realise what a good job he was doing, he was unlucky to lose his position but injuries occurred and that's football.
    Bruce had his good games and his bad games, he prefers CB but he'd be decent back up if we needed another RB.
    I'd love to see Lichaj come back but I don't think that will happen.

Centre Back: Patrick Kisnobo - Alex Bruce - Leigh Bromby - Andy O'Brian
    To be fair, I don't actually think the majority of our problems were our centre backs. It was the people around them. The central midfielders were too weak and they also had the handicap of McCartney who was good attacking but shocking defending. Bromby played brilliant when he got his chance and I really do believe he could so easily be one of our staring players this season. Paddy is 50/50 we all know why. He's ever going to be class or awful. Like I said earlier, Bruce has his good games and his bad games. And O'Brian wasn't as bad as people were making out, his bad games weren't just his, they were team bad games. The problem is when your whole team plays bad is you look bad even if you're playing good because you're trying to deal with everybody else's mistakes too.

Midfield
    Wingers: Robert Snodgrass - Max Gradel - Lloyd Sam - Aidan White
    Quite a strong select bunch. If Aidan can reproduce his form at Oldham and step it up a league, he will be good back up for our starting wingers, I don't quite think he's up to the Championship yet but then again he did set League One alight and was scoring for fun. He'll be good back up, so will Sam. Gradel and Snodgrass can't make mistakes with these 2 on the bench because they are capable of stepping into their shoes. Sam didn't do much wrong at the start of last season to lose his place and was scoring for fun.

Central Midfielders: Jonathan Howson - Adam Clayton
    Perhaps our weakest part. We all know the quality that Howson possesses when played in an attacking role. Last season this wasn't done enough and it seemed when he was played in this role we scored for fun. He has to be our Taarbt. Lets design a team around him so he has the role he wants and lets let him bang them in for fun.
    Not quite sure about Clayton. In this position we need at least 2 more, maybe even 3 more if SG doesn't think Clayton is up to it, he's another that only SG will know if he can cut it, as he'll seem him through pre-season.

Strikers
    Davide Somma - Lucciano Becchio - Billy Paynter - Ross McCormack

Perhaps our strongest position. People have been saying Billy is crap and everything but when you actually watch his matches you cannot argue with the fact he had been unlucky on so many occasions. And sometimes it's not all about the goals. A striker can have more to him than that. He provides that stength and size that is sometimes needed up front. He also has a lot of space when needed. I can't remember which game but it was near the end of the season and I remember watching him charge like a rhino with his speed and size. Just knocked the other player of the ball with a shrug of his shoulder. You don't lose the ability to score goals. We NEED to stick by Billy. He has the class, he can score lots of goals, that isn't something you lose. Come on Billy.
    Somma and Becchio I don't really need to put much about them, you've seen what they can provide. Becchio can hold the ball up well and wait for support. Maybe usefull when playing with 1 up front. Seems to be an Argentine feature where the ball sticks to your feet. He can also shoot. Somma has the skill, a great touch and a great finish. McCormack a winger, he's fast and agile but has a good shot too.

So we obviously need a new goalkeeper. I'm happy with the CB's. Maybe 1 new LB and RB.
    2 maybe 3 CM's and we're fine from there.
    That's only 4 or 5 signings. Last season the majority of our activity was during pre-season, you have to remember that.

2. Whiteyorkist

Whiteyorkist Active Member

Nope! - Obviously the goalkeeping problem is an issue which no doubt be resolved very soon. Anyone's guess who!

DM - Is another major issue as it was for most of last season.

We do need strengthening but things really aren't as bad as some are making out.

3. Que Somma Somma

Decent championship standard players

* Kisnorbo
    * Nunez
    * Howson
    * Snodgrass
    * Gradel
    * Nunez
    * Becchio
    * Somma

1 defender good enough

5 midfielders good enough

2 strikers

so yes we are too thin. Parker, White, Sam, Paynter, Connolly, Bruce, OBrien, Clayton are not up to scratch, so we need some of these replacing by better players such as Burke, Pratley, Boyd etc.

4. Whiteyorkist

Whiteyorkist Active Member

QSS - The two strikers, are you talking McCormack and Becchio?

5. Leeds United Super Sub

First of all, Sam had no reason to be dropped yet you say he's not up to standard. Parker had just come back from injury. White hasn't even played in the Championship. Clayton is young and played what, 3 games? Yet you write them all off. You say Kisnorbo yet he's just come back from a 18 month long injury. Do you really know what you're on about?

6. DamnedUnited

DamnedUnited Well-Known Member

I'd say a pretty good analysis of the squad there. I'm not convinced on the Billy front, but open minded, think he could still have a shout. I think Parker would be a decent left back, but I'd rather see some new blood in here. White is doing better as a winger, and Parker will either need back up or to be back up for someone.

I've never been blown away by Sam, but as a backup again, probably do the job. Would like to see Watt back, but don't really think that will happen.

7. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Danny, you appear to have missed Nunez out of the equation. But apart from that, a fair analysis.

DM & a 1st choice keeper would be my immediate priorities. Having said that, I still think there's a case to be made for either Bruce or Bromby at least using pre-season to try out in that position.

8. Leeds United Super Sub

Yeah I know my mistake, Nunez could be class for us this season.

He wasn't on the site squad when I was doing this, now he is.

9. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

I think we definitely need

1 x GK
    1 x RB
    1 x LB
    2 x CM

Maybe an extra CM and a CB. We've left out Lees so far aswell. Was Bury's player's player of the season last year.

10. Spanish white

Spanish white Active Member

1 GK loan/free
    1 LB loan
    1 RB cash
    1 DM --- this is the most important role cash....... and a decent amount
    1 CM ....cover - free

i want to see Lees given a go this year.....
    with Obrien, Paddy Bruce we have cover plenty at CB

11. Que Somma Somma

Yeah they arent good enough thats my point, itsalongwayback doesnt read posts properly, Somma and Becchio mate, cmon man keep up, Becchio is a white version of Heskey but he gets taps ins so cant complain, McCormack isnt too bad, if he was that gd he'd stil be at Cardiff

12. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Tad unfair on Becchio that. He was amazing last season for us & he positional sense is top class, which gets him the tap ins.

Shame he took a few knocks really or he could have been the leagues top scorer.

13. MarkoLUFC

MarkoLUFC Well-Known Member

Players leave clubs for other reasons that not being good enough, you know. McCormack struggled with injuries after doing extremely well for Cardiff. When he'd recovered, he'd been out that long he'd been replaced. It's because he was surplus to requirements, no other reason.

14. leedsrevolution

leedsrevolution Well-Known Member

Could we possibly see a return of Mike Grella?

15. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

I for one hope so-the guys class. Iron out his attitude problem he developed at Swindon & he'd be like a new signing.

16. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you Spanish,probably get 2 DM's though in case one gets injured,try & pick up a freebie or groom one of our existing fringe midfielders to play that role. For a pro footballer how difficult can it be?

17. billyboy

billyboy New Member

face the truth choose what we are crap and under bastard bates we allways will be