1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is Mourinho a busted flush ?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Hash., Sep 18, 2016.

1. Matth_2014

Matth_2014 Well-Known Member

2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Is that why he shipped him out the second he arrived? <laugh>

3. He should have kept his mouth shut, I suppose, Trebs.

4. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's been widely reported - quoted in the media as well:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2377496/Mourinho-would-prefer-Liverpool.html

"Liverpool are a team that interests everyone and Chelsea does not interest me so much because it is a new project with lots of money invested in it. I think it is a project which, if the club fail to win everything, then Abramovich could retire and take the money out of the club. It's an uncertain project".

Can't say I blame him - Chelsea were a bit of a joke before Mourinho turned them into a big club so Liverpool at the time would have been an obvious first choice.

If anything, the whole saga was quite amusing for us Utd fans, after Liverpool chose the FSW over the Special One <laugh>

5. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

ah, the history according to Man Utd fans. Chelsea became a 'big club' when one of their supporters put 100's of millions into them in the 90's and then left them another huge sum when his helicopter crashed and he died.
    that's a decade before RA.

armchairblue likes this.
  6. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wow. So Matthew Harding's £26.5 million is now "100's of millions" apparently. Someone's been taking maths lessons from the Champion of FFP <ok>

And if the amount of money someone puts into the club is a sign of a big club then Chelsea were a tiny club back then, given Blackburn, Fulham and Newcastle had all had much more money put into them, whilst Chelsea were at risk of doing a Leeds after mortgaging their ground for £80 million.

7. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Not being a Chelsea supporter I didn't look into it, just remember him turning Chelsea into a big team and then, when he died, the media saying he'd left them 200m. It was 20+ years ago, However the point is moot, Harding, a lifelong Chelsea supporter, made them big long before Roman and Mourinho turned up, they'd been in the Euro super cup twice in the 90's winning it 98. It's not like they went around cap in hand looking for anyone who had a bit of money to help them try and buy the league, offering them the chance to do keepie-uppies in front of an adoring public, is it?

8. Hoddle made Chelsea big. The Smug One merely stood on Hoddle's shoulders.

9. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think you have it upside down - the media story when he died was that Harding left nothing to Chelsea after Bates told him to **** off. Hence the massive debt and Bates hawking the club around to anyone who had a bit of money to help them try and buy the league. Only difference is that Chelsea actually needed that money before they won it <ok>

I guess it all depends on your definition of a big club and how far down the line you are willing to go. Not sure winning a CWC really qualifies you as a big club, particularly given the CL had fatally undermined the CWC by that point, but not so fussed to argue about it.

Either way, as you say, the point is moot. The fact is Chelsea were a much smaller club than Liverpool before Mourinho, but arguably on a par with them by the time Mourinho left. And Mourinho was, and still is, a vastly superior manager to Benitez.

10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Anyone remember the last time we scored 4 in a game? Fergie's last game iirc. A good sign after so long.

11. Matth_2014

I remember we beat Bayer Leverkusen 5-0 if that counts.

Treble likes this.
  12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Ah yes fair enough <ok>

Couldnt see past Van Gaal's tenure.

13. Matth_2014

Fair enough, I do remember us beating QPR 4-0 though.

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Ffs ok yes.

But apart from that when was the last time! <whistle>

15. Matth_2014

<laugh>, In the Manchester Derby 2 seasons ago.

Treble likes this.
  16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yes yes I know. But apart from the derby 2 years ago, the QPR drubbing a couple of seasons ago, and the 5 past Bayer Leverkeusen, when was the last time...

ahh **** it <laugh>

17. Matth_2014

<laugh>.

18. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

UberMatthburn!

I hope you got a receipt for the Treble you now own Matth <ok>

Treble likes this.
  19. Matth_2014

On Jose Mourinho, I'm sure I read that his dad's not well, maybe that's why he hasn't been ''happy'' for the last couple of months.

20. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

The convicted Russian gangster came in to the game when his own 'wealth' was completely unaccounted for and, similarly, the accounting processes at clubs like Chelsea were...............slightly relaxed shall we say, not as robust as they are today. Whatever public figures are available for the early years of the convicted gangster's ownership of Chelsea you can be assured that probably as much again was washing around the club in terms of 'agent payments', player bonuses and the like. The gangster well and truly bought the title for Chelsea, he just can't produce the receipts right now.