1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

is it only me who doesn't want us to spend over 10m for a player?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by WayneLikesBlobs, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WayneLikesBlobs

When the summer arrives i've no doubt that we'll be investing some or all of that lovely 35million.

BUT

people are mentioning 15m for rodellaga, 12m for n'zogbia, 10m for bendtner.. WTF are we all thinking!

how about we spend WISELY like 5m here & 6m there.

if we spend big for 3-4 players we'll end up wasting the money away.

this opportunity is unique, we have money to invest! ..for once. so the youth or young players is where i believe the money can best be spent.

anyone agree?

2. Tim Kruls Zulu Shield (:)

id spend 10m but only if it was on the right player, i think bendtner is worth 8-10m, i really like him, i reckon if he got a few games in a row then he could be class, but yes i would like to see sensible signings.

3. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

Not sure.

The fact is, proven players are worth a lot of money. Simple as that. Young players are cheap because they're unproven and therefore a gamble. If we buy young and inexpensive players, we need to really do the research and make sure that they will be worthwhile.

I say we spend on at least one proven quality player in one of our most needy positions, and then invest in young or foreign talent who are relatively cheap.

4. trevstanleyII

trevstanleyII Member

5. beardface

beardface Active Member

We need a proven striker to replace Carroll or we will be in danger of struggling next year if our young gambles dont pay off. Simple.

6. WayneLikesBlobs

a proven player with experience & goals... I'D SPEND NO MONEY ON - perhaps Elmander on a free?

in the meantime i reckon more tiotes & enriques are essential.

wolfswinkel and djao (spelling) sound good. young and arond 5m.

bendtner for 10 million? you serious?

£6,750,000m TOPS

7. brigtoon

brigtoon Member

£6,750,000m TOPS

HAHA, such a champ man type of amount!

8. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

The problem is, you can't just click your fingers and get these types of players. If such quality players were readily available for cheap fees, every EPL club would be going for them.

If a player has proven skill and ability and teams are aware of it, the value of the player skyrockets. There's a big element of luck if you find a relatively unknown player who turns out to be a class act.

9. beardface

beardface Active Member

Elmander as a proven player with goals? He's had one run of form this season - other than that he's done **** all since he moved to the prem.

10. Spiderman-Mask

Spiderman-Mask Well-Known Member

The last player we spent 10 mil on has come good, but remember what a waste of money he looked in his 1st season. Spending a lot can be very risky

11. AH

AH Active Member

I'd think it would be a wise investment to spend a little bit bigger on a proven striker.
    We're not just going to snap up another Tiote, when we bought him for that little we had no idea just how good he was going to be.

Don't wanna see us taking that risk with strikers, especially when that's where we're lacking at the minute.

12. je ne sais quoi

I want us following Arsenal (Wenger Philosophy) Buying youth talents cheap and concentrating on our youth academy/ development centre and bringing through local players aswell like we did with Carroll I don't want us spending alot of money on 1 player also I don't want any old players with no resale value or spending money on rubbish like Carlton Cole, I hope Graham Carr has a good say in the tranfers like he did recommending Tiote and Ben Arfa.

13. Son of a pitch

Son of a pitch Active Member

Agree! e.g. A proven striker!

14. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

I agree, we can't waste this money. We could buy cover for both full back positions, a right winger and a striker or two for £35m. I wouldn't mind spending £15m on a class striker, because at the end of the day they are expensive. But not on ****e like Bendtner.

Tiote was £3.3m, Spurs signed Van Der Vaart for just £8m. I'd like to see us go for someone like Lallana for £4-5m, perhaps Van Aanholt for a couple of million. I'm not sure about strikers though, there are no obvious candidates. I wouldn't be comfortable going into the next season with our current crop, but I'd rather that than blow £20m on someone who isn't worth it.

15. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

Barnetta would also be a good buy. <ok>

16. S.Taylors theatrical handballs

17. I Bleed Black & White

You know Fabregas only cost 1.5mil and Van Persie cost 3mil.. I want to see deals like that! lol

18. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

The more bargains like Tiote we uncover the better but you have to replace quality with quality, especially up front so I wouldnt mind if as much as half as Carroll's fee went on a proven replacement.

19. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

If we spend it wisely for 35 million we could rise massively and if we use it all effectively, next year could be a really good year, if we don't then next year will be relegation (well provided we don't end up going this year).

20. alexwolf

alexwolf New Member

I would like to see Van Aanholt back as cover for Enrique next season. He could even be pushed up to left midfield to give that position a bit more competition at times. Maybe some more cover at right back and let Raylor move on.
    A versatile winger (maybe Albin) would be quite nice as well. Obviously we need 2 strikers, someone like Wolfswinkel for fairly cheap and then maybe a proven prem striker for around 10-15. I dont want Bendtner, Pavyluchenko would be great if he could be persuaded to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.