1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is Harry Kane our best since Greaves?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Spurf, May 19, 2017.

1. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Kane does it again. Over 20 goals for the third season running, a feat only equaled by Alan Shearer, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Thierry Henry in Premier League history. That's illustrious company but is he becoming Spurs best striker since Jimmy Greaves?

I know he has a long way to go to equal Jimmy's fantastic record but there are signs that he could approach it if he stays at Spurs.

Their playing styles are different and you might want to argue that Greavsey was more of an all round footballer, but one thing they do share is making goal scoring look easy by having an inbuilt ability to be in the right place at the right time.

Many of Kane's goals look simple and that was always a characteristic of Greaves although there are perhaps less of the goals where Jimmy seemed to appear from nowhere in Kane's armoury.

With Dele sometimes reminding me of Gilzean and Spurs best results since the 60's the comparisons keep occurring to me.

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

3. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

I would suggest that Kane is the more all round footballer, Kane defends, never one of Greavsey's strong points. Both have/had a brilliant first touch, which sets them apart from wannabees, both are/were a little more gready than perhaps they should be, but isn't that the sign of a good striker. Greavsey was a better dribbler, better at beating his man, but Kane is still improving so who knows?

Hindsight is a fine thing, ask me the same question in 10 years time.

As for Alli, I can see the Gilzean similarities, but with a bit of Gasgoine and a bit of Hoddle thrown in. They were taking to piss last night, little chips over the defense to put the other one or Son through. We've already had the push and run, perhaps we should call this lot chip and score. Long may it continue. England had SAS, now we've got our own AK47 (or is it AK50?)

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

He is well on the way to being that. Time is on his side too.

5. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Yep, from what I know of Jimmy Greaves, he was an astonishing goal scorer, wasn't aware that he got involved around the pitch (be interested to be put right though if that is wrong), whereas Kane is our first line of defence. Kane will never be the finisher Greaves was - still hits the keeper too often, Greaves seemed to find the corner very easily, but Kane has other attributes.

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

We have SAKE.

Son
    Alli
    Kane
    Eriksen

So when we butcher teams, their responses will be "Oh for **** SAKE" :emoticon-0103-cool:

7. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Or we can
    Wanjama
    Ali
    Son
    Trippier
    Eriksen WASTE them.

redwhiteandermblue and Dier Hard like this.
  8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

As for Harry, without a doubt the best since Greaves. I wasn't around in Greaves' era but I know enough to say that he was a phenomenal striker and Harry is certainly becoming one.

With potentially two golden boots in a row, in which one season he had a drought at the beginning and the other he missed about 10 weeks, there's no denying just how good he is and will become.

I genuinely don't think I could name 10 better centre forwards than Harry in Europe right now.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  9. humanbeingincroydon

Just as long as we don't end up talking about the attacking lineup of...
    Kane
    Lamela
    Alli
    N'Koudou

We might end up with a few West Scam regulars showing up in support.

deedub93, Diego and Dier Hard like this.
  10. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Yes. Yes, he is :)

11. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Different styles. The one thing that does remind me of Greavesie is his coolness in front of goal.

It was one of Jimmy's hallmarks, that deadly assassin's calmness in front of goal.

12. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Kane = Shearer + Sheringham - a bit of heading ability.

He's not that quick and he's not going to do a million stepovers, but he works his bollocks off and relentlessly finds the target.
    You still hear people moaning about him now and not getting it, which suits us down to the ground.
    Go and spend your money elsewhere please, Real, Bayern, Barca and the like. <ok>

13. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Quite a claim given we've had Chivers, Gilzean, Lineker, Sheringham and Klinsmann

14. humanbeingincroydon

Not sure about the Shearer comparisons - he doesn't elbow several years off the career of every defender he ever faced...

15. Or if they all put in transfer requests we can sing 'oh don't FOUR SAKE us, oh, my darlin'!! (Once again for those of us of a certain age!! <laugh>)

The Changing Man and Dier Hard like this.
  16. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

You are tempting Wanyama / Alli / NKoudou / Kane / Eriksen / Rose / Sissoko ...

Lovearsenalcock, Diego and Dier Hard like this.
  17. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

How dare you use our players names in vain.

18. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Kane is turning into a fantastic goal scorer but he has the benefit of pristine pitches to play on, Greavsie had to play many games on essentially mud. Greavsie will always be the boss, but if Kane keeps improving and he stays with Spurs then it will be interesting to see how they compare.

19. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

It was a different game Billy that's for sure. so difficult to compare but it's always been about scoring goals so we can perhaps compare that.

20. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Comparisons have been made with Shearer - and they are probably fair.
    He don't watch him and think that he has any great attributes - no mesmerizing skills, no lethal pace etc - but he is ruthless in front of goal and totally professional.
    He's not a goal poacher like Clive Allen or Defoe, he's not as good as Klinsmann or Lineker and he's not as smart as Sheringham, but overall he's n the same league as all of them.