1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is Cristiano Ronaldo the best player ever

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Jun 3, 2017.

?

Is Cristiano Ronaldo the best player ever

Poll closed Jun 17, 2017.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Another majestic display by CR7

2. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Getting on for 600 goals speaks for itself

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The one sure answer to your question is he definately thinks he is.........:D

The problem you have is comparing players of yesteryear to players of today. Kit is different. Upbringing is different. By that I mean food as a kid to start you off. They are bigger, faster and heavier today. Training is different. If you could only take a bygone great and bring them forward to today having had all of the advantages of kids today then you might know. For example with all of the above what would a George Best have been able to do now.

4. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

I'm with you greeny you just can't compare players now from years ago. I was privelaged to watch Jimmy greaves at white Hart Lane on many occasions to me he was the best striker I have ever seen.I saw Maradona a couple of times and he was amazing but I saw Rodney marsh Tony currie Glenn Hoddle etc they were all in a league of their own.it's very hard to pick one player out I watched George best play a few times and he was superb no defenders could get near him.I will leave my options open on who is the greatest ever.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Rodney Marsh and Tony Curry wow!!!! What a pair of midfield mistro's they were. I think both of them could play today without any diet changes. Turn on a sixpence and pass a ball 60 yards to feet nine times out of ten. Funnily enough they never threw themselves on the floor either.

6. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

All you can do is compare with today's players as you say how would he have coped on the pitches of yesteryear & in this generation of the last 15 years I would have to say he is as a player he seems to look after himself totally not like some you could name

7. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

Very late onto this (not checked the forum in a long time!) but its nearly impossible to compare players across the eras, other than looking at how well they do against thier opponents of the time. I find it hard to call CR7 the greatest of all time as I dont believe he is even the greatest of this era - that award going to Lionel Messi.

Has to be said though, CR7 was the better player this campaign without a doubt, and those 2 are a clear cut above the rest

8. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

Personally I think Trevor Aylott deserves a shout if Ronaldo is up for the worlds best.

Rocky blue army likes this.
  9. brb

brb CR250

Simple answer NO. He is nothing more than a glamour boy in a much weakened physical game.

Yes, players today are more athletic, however, in decades gone he would not have lasted 10 minutes on the pitch.

Anyhow I hate the Ponce. How I'd love to see someone smack that smirky grin off his face.

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I take it he's not on your Christmas card list then brb <laugh>

brb likes this.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Sounds a bit bitter to me Ron. Think he must have nicked his girlfriend or something. Mind you I'd love to see him play in a game like the 1971 cup final. I doubt he would have lasted 10 seconds in that one or even made it to kick off. They'd have chinned him in the tunnel on the way out.

brb likes this.
  12. brb

brb CR250

Ronaldo in 1971 <laugh> the poser would be like a lamb to the slaughter.

13. Rocky blue army

You like him then BRB <laugh> . If he came up against Tommy smith dave makay etc they would have put him on his arse so many times in the first 10 minutes he would have been playing up the other end of the pitch as a sweeper. Because he wouldn't go near them again. <laugh>

brb likes this.
  14. brb

brb CR250

Bloody game has turned into a pansy parade. Bring back the good ole days of Vinney nut crunchers.

15. Rocky blue army

Couldn't agree more ....diving rolling around the floor like they have been shot. Overpaid lightweights wouldn't last 5 minutes in the seventies

brb likes this.
  16. Rocky blue army

I remember seeing pat vanden haugh and Stuart Pearce going in for a full blooded tackle at white Hart lane you could hear the crunch from the stands both were limping but carried on playing. You wouldn't get that nowadays

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Bit of a controvertial answer to the diving and rolling around but here goes. If a player is found to have dived the player who was nearest at the time should be allowed to have a proper free kick at him with as much force as they can muster. This will instantly show the offending player the difference between acting like a prick and actually having to pick his prick up from the turf. My guess is they would soon stop. It would be a great watch as well.

Rocky blue army likes this.
  18. brb

brb CR250

The last player I can remember even at the Gills who took no prisoners was Charlie Lee, always made me laugh when the opposition would take the ball to the corner flag in the dying minutes, there was a few visiting players that hobbled from our ground regretting that decision lol.

Yeah he got a few to many cards in his time but at least you knew you had a warrior or pitbull as I called him.

All we've done these days is created a load of diving cheats, back in the day if you dived you would have been hauled up by the neck.

It's gone from a man's game to an athletic one.

19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think, overall, the technical skill has improved. Unfortunately there are too many drama queens who role around "in agony" from a tackle but are fine once they have won the free kick and it is being copied by young kids (particularly the tricky little buggers). Some of the tackles I used to make would probably be penalised these days but there seems to be far more malicious tackles these days, the elbow in the face was never heard of when I played.

In France the technical skills are taught from a very early age. At my grand son's club they have skill and speed tests every now and again and their progress is recorded (eg at the age of 10 they have to do 50 keepy uppies, left and right, and 10 with the head. When my grandson was trying some new boots in the sports shop he did 200 keepy uppies, alternating left and right. When I was a kid I'd never heard of keepy uppies. Football for me was to score goals and stop opponents from scoring at all costs <laugh>. Different World.

20. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

Surely Ron that is still the point I can understand the keepy uppies up to a point because they learn how to control a ball, it has never won a football match yet.