1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Injuries and..................

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Nostalgic, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

....................how we get them.

We have had more than our fair share and most of us have seen how they can happen but I sustained one last weekend.

Sat on a settee on a patio stone cold sober and wanted to get up so used my arm as a lever to stand. Got a pain in the shoulder and though I had just twinged a long standing problem. Next day my bicep was up like Popeye's but there was no pain and I was not hampered in any way. It is not as swollen now but there is deep bruising from shoulder to elbow and the muscle threatens to go into cramp so in a sense it is worse now than the original happening.

Transfer that incident to a highly tuned top fit footballer whose muscles and joints will be more susceptible to knocks and pulls and it may put football injuries into perspective and they may not be a bunch of woosies as we generally make them out to be. In fact they could even be admired for going on the pitch with knocks which could affect their performance but us terrace coaches too often stand in judgement without knowing all the facts.

I'm worn out now so will have to lie down.

2. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Bit my tongue
    I'm knackdd

salad fingers likes this.
  3. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I once sneezed and put my back out.

I do have a very weak back, mind.

4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I put my back out using a power sander once, I had to crawl about like a dog for the rest of the day, standing up wasn't on the cards.

As for our horrendous injury list this season I've given it a lot of thought because I'd love to know what's going on, the best suggestion I've seen is that Allardyce used techniques that kept players able to carry on for the short term but didn't solve things in the long term and we're paying for it now.

I'm not sure I believe that either but it's the most logical explanation I've seen.

5. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Not sure why you imply that an athlete's body is more susceptible to injury than you would be, to be honest it should be the exact opposite.

If you did a brutal MMA training session, with respect I would fully expect you to be incapacitated for at least a short time but I'd expect them to go again 24 hours later without an issue.

Or if you participated in a rugby match I'd expect more of the same.

Finely tuned, as you put it, suggests their body should be stronger, not weaker.

6. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Ive had loads.

Usually my own fault.

7. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Wrist injuries.

Disco down under likes this.