1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

In All Fairness - So Far, So Good and THEN..?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Mar 24, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

How changed Bristol City has appeared since the departure of John Pemberton and Des Taylor

Andy Stockhausen discusses how things have improved at BS3 since the sacking of the assistant head coach and the chief scout

Andy Stockhausen

please log in to view this image

Jamie McAllister
    It is fair to say a majority of fans reacted with a sense of incredulity when news first broke that the Championship club had summarily sacked assistant head coach John Pemberton.

Announced barely an hour ahead of kick-off in a potentially crucial Championship fixture against Norwich City at Ashton Gate, the decision was greeted with widespread dismay and shock by those who pay at the turnstiles.

Surely, they argued, those responsible for the day-to-day running of the club could not countenance parting company with such an experienced football man at a time when the club was battling relegation.

After all, it was Pemberton who was widely credited with having put the Robins back on track following the dismissal of Steve Cotterill as manager in January 2016. The Lancastrian took the decision to revert to a flat back four, promoted Bristolians Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid and Wes Burns to the starting line-up and helped affect an upturn in fortunes before ever Lee Johnson arrived to take up the post of head coach in early February.

Not surprisingly, there were dark mutterings of betrayal and there was no shortage of commentators prepared to speculate that Pemberton had been metaphorically stabbed in the back by the new regime.

Bristol City Manager Lee Johnson and Assistant Manager John Pemberton
    Disapproval at seeing so much Championship knowhow heading through the exit was compounded by a feeling that Johnson, having presided over a dreadful sequence of results, including an ignominious club record eight straight league defeats, should be the one to lose his job. Many had anticipated the young head coach being given his marching orders and being replaced, albeit on a temporary basis, by the wily Pemberton while a new long-term replacement was sought.

Those who argued in favour of such an outcome were clearly misreading the runes. No sooner had Pemberton departed, than Johnson’s position, and that of assistant Dean Holden, were immediately strengthened.

It soon became clear that, far from contemplating a change at the top, majority shareholder Steve Lansdown was adhering to his erstwhile policy of staunch support for the head coach. In the event, the dire portents predicted by some among the fan-base have, so far at least, failed to materialise.

Jamie McAllister and Dean Holden
    Having demonstrated spirit aplenty to twice come from behind and draw 2-2 with play-off contenders Norwich, City staged potentially season-changing back-to-back victories over fellow strugglers Wigan and promotion-chasing Huddersfield, in the process scoring five goals without reply.

And there are other off-pitch indicators that point to a sea-change in attitude and mood following a management reshuffle that also saw chief scout Des Taylor depart Ashton Gate.

The togetherness that proved instrumental in helping City come from behind to claim a point against Norwich was again apparent on the long coach journey to Wigan.

A source informed me that the mood on board was much-improved, Johnson and new assistant Jamie McAllister sitting together while the players relaxed and enjoyed the ambience. I was reliably informed that this represented a departure from previous journeys, when the mood would sometimes be fraught.

A member of staff who shall remain unnamed also informed me that the mood on the training ground was much-improved. Johnson, Holden and McAllister were singing from the same hymnbook and confusion had been replaced, almost overnight, by understanding and clarity of purpose.

In possession of this information, I made a point of studying the body language of staff and players alike before, during and after the games against Wigan and Huddersfield. While occupying my press box perch at the DW Stadium, I was struck by the encouragement and support offered to their team-mates by City’s substitutes as they warmed up on the touchline. I had not witnessed this in recent weeks and, again, it suggested a strong team spirit and a renewed sense of togetherness.

Understandably, it will take more than a four-match unbeaten run and a short-term change in mood to convince those who doubt Johnson that they have got it wrong. But for now, all the available evidence suggests Lansdown and his board of directors might just have backed the right man.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-changed-bristol-city-appeared-13305

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

.....and then ~ Brentford, Preston, Wolves, QPR, Blackburn, Barnsley and Brighton our April matches then we can make a fair judgement.

3. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

I must have fallen asleep during the Norwich game because I'm sure I was there for the whole match but cant remember us coming from behind twice to draw 2-2

4. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

It was 1-1 wasn't it?

5. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Not according to Stockhausen in the report above

6. Reliant Robin TC

Reliant Robin TC Active Member

Ah, fake news - it's all the rage now you know!!

7. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

one of the main reasons I do not bother with the EP or AS is it is all drama queen stuff .. made up on the spur of the moment with often misquoted or inaccurate info .. just read through the transcript after the comments made and it reinforces my judgement

ROD 1-1 <ok>
    LOA no you didn't fall asleep <ok> it was 1-1 but we did come from behind, they scored after 39 mins and 39 mins later we equalised then had 5 shots saved/ in the last 15 mins!
    note... double vision often from a bang on the head <magic> or when severely p****d <ale> / or other :huh:!

PS BOTH SCORERS STARTED WITH THE LETTER W

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  8. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I think Stockhausen is alright, he makes a few mistakes but don't we all and the last line of his report read..

' But for now, all the available evidence suggests Lansdown and his board of directors might just have backed the right man.'

I would of thought that makes all of you 'Johnson Luvvies' very happy and old Stockhausen a popular kind of guy..<whistle>

9. johngalleyfan2

OR he is preparing his plate for the future ! After occasionally being hard/controversial on LEE et al ... and making sure it is clean and big enough for humble pie!:emoticon-0105-wink:

10. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I think the jury is very much still out, and will be for some considerable amount of time on that one..!

11. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

NOT a 'lovvie ' as hopefully my posts earlier will prove, but seriously Wiz, would you sack LJ now we are picking up points?
    I would have got rid of him after the second Cardiff game, but surely it would be madness now we seem to be picking up?

RedorDead likes this.
  12. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Currently we are in a precarious position and despite my calls for Lee's removal I think now would be the wrong time. Disruption is not what we need and seeing as Lansdown is clearly a fan of Lee, rightly or wrongly, then we have to go with the status quo for the remainder of this season. Hoping to stay up is our biggest issue and if that job is achieved successfully then we have to wait and see what transpires during the summer off-season and obviously in the early stages of our next campaign. Let's not write off Bristol City but I think they have a long hard road ahead to convince us that their intentions are valid and that they can back up the support they get from the fare paying passengers.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  13. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

No call for getting complacent or cocky.
    We are still knee deep in ****e, and could very easily get sent down.
    And even if we don't, it hasn't exactly been a season to crow about has it

14. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

one way or the other its going to be an interesting month or so,:emoticon-0107-sweat

15. johngalleyfan2

staying up is only half the battle .. the bigger half is replacing Tammy!