1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Impact of Brexit on Inflation/Jobs

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Mar 22, 2017.

1. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

As is consistently pontificating the opposite view. It's a case of wait and see!

2. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

No. That's just raising the opposite view. Views (assuming honestly held) are not pretences. It's nothing to do with that.

You'd be better off not trying to get involved repeatedly because I have little interest in your irrelevant contributions, especially given your treatment of me.

3. canary-dave

Are you saying you think pontificating means pretending?

4. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

In the short term there will be pain, but longer term I don't think it is beyond reason to think it could be economically beneficial. The EU and more specifically the trade union is certainly beneficial to all involved but it also acts as something of a straight jacket to dealing with the world beyond it's boarders. Can our politicians, business leaders and people, take advantage of that? Time will tell, though the worst thing I always thought about Brexit was that it would be our useless politicians that had to negotiate it.

Bah!

carrowcanario likes this.
  5. Canary Rob

No. Read the quote you took from my previous post.

6. Canary Rob

I agree with, but the trouble is it's even more finger in the wind pipe dreams than the economists who predict that Brexit will be profoundly negative for the economy (they, at least, are experts and have detailed analysis and assumptions).

I particularly agree with you on our politicians, and frankly that's my main issue. (It might seem strange but) I honestly think Brexit could theoretically be a huge success, I just simply cannot see it with our current jokes of politicians (or indeed the voters that repeatedly put these self-serving creeps into power). That's actually my biggest issue here - as I said earlier, if Brexit had truly been about making the establishment/elite feel punished and brought back down to earth, with real significant reform (starting with the House of Lords), I would be the most fervent brexiter you could imagine. But the establishment has a firmer grip than ever, the rich will be better off than ever and the same people will continue to suffer (I am making unsubstantiated predictions here, but if the "low tax jurisdiction" threat comes true, then it will be substantiated).

JM Fan likes this.
  7. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

8. canary-dave

Well Rob, as you appear to be the gaffer on this thread and you've ordered me off, I will comply. I have no interest in your ****-spouting anyway!

Canary Rob likes this.
  9. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

... and breathe.

This is that quiet period where Rob's asleep, or reading through his EU mandates.

(<laugh> sorry mate, no offence) <ok>

10. Canary Rob

I need a rest from all this pontificating

On a serious note, Duncan and I were discussing immigration above so I thought he (and others) might find this interesting:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4361876/May-admits-immigration-WON-T-come-2019.html

Which means that in addition to the £350m per week which won't be going to our NHS, the exit bill which May has agreed we will need to pay, the EU laws which we've acknowledged we're going to have to continue to abide by, the sovereignty we've lost with putting trade position in the EU's gift and the irreperable damage to our democracy, we won't actually be able to control immigration post-Brexit.

So I'm struggling to see what the benefits of Brexit actually are (other than a chance that our economy might do brilliantly at some unknown point in the future, contrary to expert opinion...)

ncgandy likes this.

11. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

What were you doing reading the mail?

Bah!

12. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

What she has said is that the amount of immigration will depend on what we need to bring in.....that is controlling immigration.

It appears that the only people that thought the 350m was 'promised' to the NHS are those that voted to remain.

13. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I was always under the impression that we 'could' spend the money on the NHS, not that we 'would', but why let fact get in the way if it doesn't fit your agenda :emoticon-0105-wink:

14. johnnywarksmoustache

Tim Farron is a sly little ****er!

"Give the people a second referendum once the deal is known!" - Basically inviting the EU to offer us the worst deal possible so that we would reject it in favour of staying!

KIO likes this.
  15. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

No mention of a second referendum here should the result not go the way of the 'Liberal' elite <doh>

please log in to view this image

16. johnnywarksmoustache

Ah but according to Tim and his mates we were all too stupid to know what we were actually for! <doh>

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  17. Canary Rob

<laugh>

I thought someone might say that! I assumed people wouldn't want to read the same story if it were in the Grauniad or some similar bleeding heart liberal snowflake rag... ;)

18. Canary Rob

How, in the name of sweet Jesus, can you suggest the leader of a tiny party is in any way part of the "elite"? The elite establishment, the likes of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, David Davis, Theresa May - people who have been in and around power for years, went to Oxbridge, Tories - they are firmly in control (more firmly than ever).

To suggest that Farron is anything other than a noisy irrelevance (and I quite like him, obviously) is suspect. To suggest he's elite, well to be honest that's giving him much too much credit!

19. Canary Rob

I don't know if he actually said that and, clearly, it's always a range of people on both sides, but tbf to him the demographics do suggest that people with less education were much much more likely to vote for Brexit. So if he said it like that, he would be correct <ok>

20. Canary Rob

No she didn't - read the quote. She said that the are lots of variables. She refused to guarantee it would be a drop.

You might have been wise to the NHS promise (which seems weird that you were happy with the campaign dishonesty, there we are), but read the comments on the article. It's pretty clear quite a few people thought the NHS would be getting that money.