1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Impact of Brexit on Football

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Davylad, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yuk!!!!
    I've just discovered Sun dried tomato, caramelised onion and goats' cheese tartlets - delicious!!!

2. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Funny, I can't remember merging the 'Brexit' and 'What are you eating' threads? :emoticon-0112-wonde
    Must have been during the utter euphoria I felt at only losing by one goal last night!
    ;)

3. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

4. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

5. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I found the comments far more interesting, the misquoting of May with relation to "I want". I don't think people reading and commenting on der speigel are going to be your average Brexit zenophobes and racists. It appears the foreign press are as alarmist and unreliable as our own!

Bah!

6. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

I'll be honest I'm no fan of TM, but I really can't understand why people are moaning about her saying that no deal is better than a bad deal. She's also been really clever giving Parliament a vote and the Liberals & Labour we really struggle. As I understand it once article 50 is enacted we have 2 years to agree a deal, if a deal can't be agreed then we leave without any rights or obligations and fall back to WTO rule. So TM goes to the EU and agrees the best deal she thinks she can get (so anything better than WTO rules would seem to be a good deal for us & the EU. She then allows Parliament. If both the UK & EU Parliament agree to the deal everyone's happy. If either Parliament can't agree then it's WTO rules. So if a combination of SNP, Labour, disaffected Tories, Liberals, UKIP, Greens etc block the deal they are indirectly opting for WTO rules. They could of course abstain if they don't want either option. It seems to me whatever option they do is going to p!ss off some section of the public and potentially impact on MP's chances of getting re-elect.

Not only has she to some extent has she turned the tables on her home opponents, she's also turn the tables on the EU. Ever since the election they've been going on about TM not having her cake and eating it i.e. If you want to remain in the single market or customs union you have to accept everything that comes with it i.e. freedom of movement, EU court of Justice thinking that we would bend over backwards to stay in. But she's just said well we don't want to stay in either, but we're happy to trade with you and cooperate on other matters and if appropriate make some small financial contribution. So it's not just a question of what we want, but what the EU wants. If they just want WTO rules fine, you tax the goods you import from us and we tax what we import from you, but this suits us more than the EU because we import more from them than they import from us. I think until now the EU thought they held all the best cards because they thought we would want to be part of the single market and that not much was going to change and they were going to continue to receive our money. I wish the EU good luck filling the massive gaps in there budgets. Maybe we hold more and better cards than we did a few days ago.

General Melchett likes this.
  7. carrowcanario

For far too long Europe and Germany in particular has relied on the UK and the US to provide it with security. As I understand it NATO is the the organisation that is the key player in providing European security and we already are a full and active member of that club. I'm not sure but I think the UK is one of the few EU countries that meets it's Nato obligations by spending the required 2% of GDP on defence. Back to the article, basically they've got the hump because we've decide we would rather go it alone rather than be blackmailed into a mucky and painful compromise (see previous thread). I for one am happy that we seem to be heading for a full exit rather than a half arsed one.

8. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Don't really give a stuff what the EU thinks of us Cromer, basically they're running scared cos without our money they're gonna be ****ed long term.
    I've been really impressed with TM, she's kept her powder dry and now she's shown she's gonna take no **** from the EU. Oh and another thing, she mugged Corbyn right off in PM's questions yesterday and made him look like a right dick, as if we all didn't know that already <ok>

9. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

10. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Haha very funny on a very superficial level. But Sky have committed a lot of money to its latest PL tranch of games (Europe has become further dependant on the UK as a net funder having expanded its dependant states), it has become further dependant on its subscribers to keep paying ever more (As has Europe). Sky over the years have proved very adept at giving discounts when you threaten to leave. If a customer/trade partner as big in proportion as the UK is relative to Europe was to leave, what do you think happens to sky? Europe and the UK have a significant interest in continuing to trade and will even if under WTO rules, but what ever posturing is going on at the moment from either side, it is in both sides interest to come up with a compromise. I suggest Sky/EU still want our spondoolicks and so will cave to the businesses that pay their respective parties to represent them.

Bah!

KIO and JM Fan like this.

11. carrowcanario

So how about if the PL said to sky you're ruining our league we're not going to let you have so much influence and share the games around a bit more.

Sky 'you can't do that'.
    PL 'yes we can'.
    Sky 'You're be ruined, we aren't going to buy any of you're games'.
    PL 'Ok, we'll do a deal with the rest of the providers'
    Sky 'But you won't have as much money, you have to accommodate us'
    PL 'okay but we'll have more control, do you want a smaller piece of the pie or none at all'
    Sky 'Well if you're going to be like that, we want nothing to do with you, you have to play by our rules'

PL ditch sky and sell content to BT, BBC & others, but don't get as much money, but are no longer a slave to Sky.

So what would Sky do ? Not purchase any games, I doubt it they'd still deal with the PL.

12. carrowcanario

TM to Sky 'If you not going to be more reasonable, you can F*ck Off. I'm going to ban you from doing business in the UK, w'ell go with BT instead'.

13. carrowcanario

Until a few days ago the EU thought we'd be so desperate to stay in the single market they had us over a barrel. They are now starting to realise they are going to have to negotiate.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  14. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

15. carrowcanario

KIO likes this.
  16. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

17. carrowcanario

More fake news. Although apparently the slow down is set for 2018 not 2017 like they were saying last month. I guess sooner or later they will get it right

Bank of England sharply raises 2017 growth outlook

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38841747

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    KIO likes this.
  18. carrowcanario

19. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

...... and Mr Carney now saying that it looks like the UK economy will have a smooth transition post Brexit. You really couldn't make this up, that man should be sacked immediately for his outright lies, because either they were lies or he is completely incompetent!

20. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

He's Canadian, what does he know about anything other than mounting policemen? <yikes>

KIO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.