1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If we dont go up?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by anyobrien, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I do think Leeds had a plan. They had a go early doors knowing that has been a weakness of ours. They didn't get the early goal and Monk had them retreat into a more defensive plan. This allowed us to get to grips but once we had settled, Monk knew the way to play against our tactics is not one size fits all. You can't just play loose and attack until you score. With Rafas set up there is a 20min window of opportunity to grab a lead to defend. If you get it it can be very easy to defend it because of the way Rafa's teams play, moving the ball slowly sideways a lot. If you don't get it you kinda of get sucked into Rafa's probing style as we settle. Monk knew then quality would probably tell so he had them sit in. We struggled to break them down. Once we got the goal, Monk decided to sit tight, not concede another and then have a go in the last 10mins. It worked.

To be honest I thought Monk showed a real appetite for the tactical battle, and some proper nous to keep calm picking his way through the game. He was flexible but had clearly studied us and worked out what works against us.

We need to show a similar level of flexibility in our approach to games, particularly at home.

magpie290761 likes this.
  2. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Which of course we won't!

It's very conflicting; I was clamouring for an identity and now we have one (although it's a 'ploddy' and very, very rigid one) I don't want it anymore!!!!

3. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

As I've said as frustrating as it is we have to give him time. It could be he has seen the Championship as the ideal learning ground to embed the core principals and expand from there. Of course that is a little fanciful but you never know. Certainly I like to see any manager get 3 years unless they are an unmitigated disaster like McClaren. I don't think Rafa has been a disaster, just a bit underwhelming.

My only concern with the above is that our transfer policy contradicts this notion completely - given most think a mass overhaul is needed. Therefore why embed the principles into the current bunch. I find it all a little confused if I'm being honest. But as always I'll moan away from the ground if I think there is something to moan about, and get behind the team when I'm there.

4. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

You already said it's fanciful, which it is. For me if it looks like it and smells like it, there's a good chance that's what it is. Rafa plays, and has always played, 4-2-3-1. His "rotation" is just his way. He believes in his very fibre that you should be able to play the same system time and time again, with differing players assuming roles that are set in stone, and get results. I guess he goes on stats and fitness, that if you play such a way you can keep the goals against you low due to familiarity and a defensive set up, then add a sprinkling of stardust to get you the extra goal you need to win more than you lose.

I mean that explains it far easier; Clark/Sels to stop goals, Ritchie/Gayle/Atsu as the stardust, Hayden/Murphy as those who can do the job needed. But then, who's a lot different? The team at the top of the Premier League play more or less 3-4-3 every week. Conte has played this way most of his career. Poch plays 4-2-3-1, his full backs bomb on and he makes Dier drop back to go 3 at the back when Rose or Naughton or Trippier are on the wing! Klopp plays a very similar formation and style. This is Rafa's identity, it's not about to change.

The straw that I clutch at is this style will be much better suited to the PL, where there are a number of teams playing with a No 10 between the lines. When you're up against 4-4-2 most weeks, having 2 DM's just puts you on the back foot and leaves it being slow, pedestrian. Add in the fact your team is a behemoth compared to most, and you end up playing tentative, probing football against teams with 9 at the back. You are then awfully exposed to counter-attacking, which is what we've faced most weeks. In the PL, you can guarantee whoever you visit, or whoever visits you, wants to beat you.

I don't think we'll lose many players at all, nor do I think we need to. I think the likes of Colback, Gouffran, Diame, Perez are useful enough to have in a squad, particularly if we want to give it a go in a cup. We should only sell if a) the player doesn't fit in, or b) if they need to raise capital. For me, I think we just need to add 5 or 6 to the squad all of a level to fit into the first team.

The only position where I think we genuinely need to make room is in goal. Darlow needs more time, should not be first choice. Krul's gone anyway. Sels looks like a mistake. Elliot's a useful third choice. Woodman's got great potential. For me, we should be going to someone like Tom Heaton or Ben Foster. Very solid, very experienced and as per De Gea neither would really cost the earth, but it's vital we get someone of the highest calibre in.

In defence, we need a leader. Shawcross would be good to compliment and would work very well with Mbemba. Clark and Lascelles should not be first choice next year, Findlay offers potential, Dummett emergency cover. It's also VITAL we get a quality left back. I doubt we can get Shaw, but we've got to aim high assuming Lazaar just can't cut it. Haidara is one I'd get rid here.

In midfield, we need a genuine defensive midfielder. If you look at Cabaye, how good he was, Shelvey is the same player - potentially could be better - but Cabaye only really worked his best alongside Tiote. We need a real, genuine class discovery here. Maybe as Hank says M'Vila could be that guy, but someone in the Kante mould. Hayden is more box to box, Colback's just not good enough, Diame's also not worth a mention in these roles, but Shelvey/New Guy can't play every match so we need depth.

In attack, we also need a Number 10. It's how Rafa plays, we have to accept it, but by the same token he's got to buy a player who can play the role. We then need a PL quality striker, and then I'd add one more winger - Townsend or whoever - to complete the line up.

5. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Well, we've made worse starts.

6. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

<ok> :)

7. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

8. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

We are going up! We are going up!

<diva>

9. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Sober Jizzzzz

10. Obi Wan

So you fancy Nev in a Womble outfit even when you're sober?

11. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

The top 3 choices.

12. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

Should have called this thread 'If We Go Down.....'

salad fingers likes this.
  13. Obi Wan

But then Captainchaos might have misinterpreted and taken it off on a totally inappropriate tangent.

14. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Psychic thread title. <laugh>

15. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Or maybe not...

16. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

17. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Wooooooahhhh.

I know you are me dad and all that but don't you go all 'Relic' on me.<yikes>