1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If Short stays for the long term ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Assets that we (me) wouldn't mind selling.

Kone - 14m - 18m
    Lens - 7.5m - 10m
    Khazri - 7.5m - 10m
    Borini - 6m - 8m

I haven't put N'Dong in because I think he will walk all over the Championship. He's still young and could be a real force in the premiership, in a couple of more years.

We should get 35m - 40m, just for them 4. Add that to the other bits and pieces we sell and if that gets reinvested wisely (so get rid of Moyes), we could be a force, next season.

As for going with a lot of youth, next year. Our under 23's weren't good enough to get past league 1 and 2 teams, not even at full strength, in this seasons cup competition.

2. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Not that I want to see him gone but if you add Pickford into that list for £20m + and there should be money available for sure.

Add into this wages we'll save on Defoe, O'Shea, Larsson, Januzaj, Denayer & Manquilo.

Should be more than enough to get rid of Moyes surely?

3. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Short has made plenty of mistakes and many ways in which the club has been run have been poor, from the choice of certain (current) managers to the poor quality of the merchandise in the club shop. Given the way that 'sports franchises' are operated in the US I am surprised that Short hasn't managed to make the club a slicker and more profitable organisation. If he gets his act together, a year to rebuild in the Championship could make a big difference. That would require that he gets his head out of the sand and starts looking at how a football club should be run, but why should anything change after all this time?

4. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Sad to say it but I think we should sell Pickford now and use the money. If we don't go up his value will plummet and a chance will be missed so, start a price war and take the best offer over £25 million.

Mannone is perfectly fine for our level and only needs a settled defence in front of him.

We need to grit our teeth and get real tbh.

5. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

I think Pickfords departure is a case of where and when he will go, not IF. His agent will make sure the lad gets a move and I wouldn't blame him if he did decide to go, who wouldn't want to leave a club in decline?

Don't get me wrong, I would love the lad to stay, but he will most likely be swayed by one of the top 6 clubs offering him silly wages. It'll just be a question of how much we can get for him.

6. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Picks loves us and unless the move suits him I dont think he will give a toss what his agent and the club want him to do. He has 4 yrs left on his contract and I think he will give us a season in the championship. Assuming we go down that is.:biggrin:.

Moyes will only be away if new owners come in.

7. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Short knows things can't carry on as they are and the club has to be knocked into shape. For all the millions, from TV etc, we've had come in it's all gone out paying an endless stream of badge kissing slackers.

As supporters we might need to forget about 'marquee signings' etc, and see a team like Bournemouth on the pitch ..... young hungry players who play for each other and put a real shift in.

I've truly seen enough 'last big pay packet merchants to last a lifetime <doh>

8. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Back to the future, wonder who the current Burnley manager is. <ok>

9. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Thing is smug - I'm pretty sure every fan would've taken that - even if we still finished bottom and had 21 points currently, they'd (and I'd) be a lot more accepting of the team if they had that young hungry attitude and put themselves about - the "couldn't give a ****" attitude which @Teessidemakem said was on show from all except 2 last night! (and Defoe wasn't one of them sadly)

Smug in Boots likes this.
  10. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Realistically would anybody bust a gut in Defoe's position , except for a brief cameo by Big Vic, he has been the one shining light up front all season, we are down, and he will be off in the summer. And I for one don't blame him.

Makemstine Roger likes this.

11. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Get him on the telly or radio to explain himself, at least Bob murray did, I bet they are all in hiding now at this club after last nights nightmare.

12. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Moyes is our manager though who does not seem comfortable with offensive football

13. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

So why does he always make us play offensive football, Wandy :huh:

14. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

If it's true that all of your players have relegation wage reductions placed into their contracts, and clauses etc, then surely the same applies to David Moyes.

If he has then he becomes much easier to sack after relegation is confirmed, I assume.

Brian Storm and Smug in Boots like this.
  15. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

And even cheaper still 6 months down the line.