1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If I were Garry Monk

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 17, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In his first season at Elland Road, Garry Monk has worked miracles.

I cannot think of many Leeds fans who would have believed that we would be in contention for a play off place with three games to go!

BUT, Garry Monk does not know what it means to wear the shirt.

If I were the gaffer, after giving the team talk / tactics in the dressing room prior to the remaining three games, I would invite a different Leeds legend to each remaining game to give a moral boosting speech of their own.

This would hopefully give the players that little extra edge; that extra 5% endeavour which can be the difference between defeat and the sweet smell of success.

Whether you agree or not with this method, which three legends would you select to give your speech(es)?

I would use :-

Lucas Radebe

John Sheridan

Vinney Jones

2. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

Shez would be pissed
    Vinnie is more a don than leeds.

He needs to give them three days off!
    They look fecked.

LeedsLover likes this.
  3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When we played Newcastle the other day, David Prutton was on Sky. The other guy asked Prutton what does he think Monk will say to the team at half time.

Prutton said that Garry Monk writes down three problem areas or issues, he then leaves them to discuss if for a few minutes on their own before returning and seeing what they have to say and hearing how they are going to solve it.

He said Monk likes the players to think for themselves, he likes them to work out what they are going to do to improve.

Now how true any of this is I don't know but I am guessing Prutton must have heard it from somewhere.

Not passing judgement on this, just thought it was a good thread to share it on.

4. ellandback

Forum Moderator

I heard exactly the same some weeks ago, though I cannot remember who I heard it from.

The speeches would be more a lift rather than attending to a problem area.

5. ellandback

Forum Moderator

It's hypothetical, Shez is the Manager of Oldham I believe, so it would be very unlikely he could do it in the first place.

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In all honsesty, if you are that close to the riches of the PL with 4 games to go, should they have needed a team talk or motivation.

But in the spirit of the question

1) Strachan
    2) Alf-Inge Haaland (just to be different)
    3) Vinnie

ellandback likes this.
  7. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

It's crucial a player/players can identify what has to be done to fix a problem out on the pitch. If they are not aware of the problem then they will very likely not be able to solve it. This is a reasonably new method in modern management and it's excellent at improving a players understanding of what is required of them on the pitch so everybody knows their job. Ask the players to discuss what they feel is going wrong and how to fix it. If they can't think of where the problem is then you can explain what you think it is and then ask them how they think it's best to solve it. Generally they will come to the conclusion along with a little pointing in the right direction by the manager. Then the team will know exactly what to do to turn things around on field, or at least try. It's not easy to just turn it around but this method is the norm, especially in the younger breed of manager. It promotes a good understanding and gives the player a great feeling of power and responsibility and with that, confidence.

If I were Monk, I'd keep doing what he's done all season. A few poor results at the wrong time is just that, bad timing, but it's not the end of the world and can be turned around still. Changing method now will hint at untrust in what he's been preaching all season and a team will sense that. Stay strong minded and clear in your thoughts and efforts and if it's good enough then so be it.

ristac, FORZA LEEDS and ellandback like this.
  8. Chippy / Glory

Agreed. Matt was talking bollocks, you just explained why better than me.

9. ellandback

Forum Moderator

I am talking about a moral boosting 2 min 'get up em' PRE MATCH SPEECH after the gaffer has finished his tactics etc.

Obviously at half time you look at your performance and try to overcome the problems you have encountered in the first half.

10. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Sorry, El, but I wouldn't have any of them in the dressing room. Bottom line is that they appeared to bottle it today, I've never seen a Leeds team so preoccupied & nervous. Nothing went right for them. The last thing they need is the added pressure of a legend giving them a rah-rah speech.

I'm not being flippant when I say that I'd rather Monk did his half time team talk before each half. They don't appear to listen to the pre-kickoff speech, so let's have the half time one twice.

ellandback likes this.

11. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

I understand what you are saying, it's definitely something that could be done but not at this stage for me.

It would have to be a leader in the dressing room ie. the captain or another person in the squad who is able to speak well and is looked upon as a leader within the team to pull them together and tell them what's at stake. If that's not enough I'd worry about the overall state of the squad but I'm sure their is a few leaders among them who can re focus their mental state. Having been in a relatively stable league position for sometime, character is needed aplenty now.

12. ellandback

Forum Moderator

But if they bottled it, being that they are professional players a rah-rah speech could inspire them and give them confidence, not add extra pressure.

We're talking a couple of minutes after the gaffer is done, not war and peace...

13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Yes indeed, character is needed. I actually forgot that Bridcutt was Captain until it was mentioned earlier. Don't think he's capable of the rah-rah that the lads need. They need a lift....

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  14. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

****ing hell what a load of old bollocks <doh>

LeedsLover and Chippy / Glory like this.
  15. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Evening Essex

16. Chippy / Glory

Bridcut needs dropping if viera is half fit.

17. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

El <ok> sorry mate but that's a daft idea

If a bunch of highly paid players can't inspire themselves to reach the the playoffs then they don't deserve to, simple as that

LeedsLover and ellandback like this.
  18. ellandback

Forum Moderator

I'm scared that they don't realise the enormity of how close they are.

Just thinking a rah-rah just before they go out on the pitch may just do the trick.

The difference between wining and losing is so small, and it wouldn't do any harm as worse case scenario?

19. Chippy / Glory

Put the shovel down the hole is big enough.

20. ellandback

Forum Moderator

You wanna go one on one with the great One?