1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

I Have to Fly the Flag and Stay Strong.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 3, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Pressure building on Lee Johnson and Bristol City as dismal Sky Bet Championship run continues
    By a_stockhausen

Pressure is building on head coach Lee Johnson after his side suffered a bitter defeat at the hands of Reading at Ashton Gate today.

Leading 2-0 with 18 minutes to go,we collasped and allowed Reading to register an astonishing 3-2 to come from behind victory.

Beaten in nine of their last ten outings, City are now down to 18th in the table, just three points above the Championship relegation zone.

A season that commenced amid such promise has turned sour and the head coach and his players must be wondering where the next win is coming from.

And a growing number of those inside Ashton Gate today are beginning to turn against Johnson, who urgently requires new recruits now that the January transfer window is open.

Johnson admits his team requires strengthening in the January window, saying: "We do need some new faces.

"We don't need radicalisation, we need a couple of additions that can change our world. If you bring in good players with decent experience and a good pedigree, it can give the other players a lift.

"I cannot gloss over the form and the results and I'm looking forward to turning it around. Our mind-set has to become different, because we need to get a result.

"We need to bring some players in to help change things for us and we are working hard to do that."

Tammy Abraham netted twice inside 47 minutes as City forged a 2-0 lead, but their inability to keep a clean sheet again cost them dear as the Royals scored three times in the final 18 minutes to consign the Robins to a sixth straight defeat.

Substitute Liam Kelly launched the fight-back when scoring in the 72nd minute and Yann Kermogant stunned the home side when scoring twice in the final few minutes to turn the tables and plunge Ashton Gate into despondency.

Johnson added: "The turning point was the first goal, because that sets the nerves going. We dropped deeper and deeper and didn't quite have the options on the bench to be able to stem the flow.

"Reading had a lot of possession, but we hit them on the break, got ourselves 2-0 up and looked comfortable. But I cannot deny that we find it hard to keep a clean sheet.

"I didn't know whether to go and wring the players' necks or give them a cuddle. They deserved both."

He said of the fans: "Naturally, some people will turn, but I have to fly the flag and stay strong. There is always pressure in football, but no bigger than what I put on myself.

"I've spoken to Steve Lansdown (majority shareholder) and I'm lucky to have an owner like him. I can see light at the end of the tunnel and we are trying to address it in the transfer market."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/pressu...reading-loss/story-30025328-detail/story.html

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

This is the line that concerns me, not who flies the bloody flag..

'Beaten in nine of their last ten outings, City are now down to 18th in the table, just three points above the Championship relegation zone'.

3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

"We don't need radicalisation, we need a couple of additions that can change our world
    WTF is he talking about ? I'm really not sure that this is an appropriate choice of words.

4. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

'If you bring in good players with decent experience and a good pedigree, it can give the other players a lift'

A good example is Lee Tomlin. He's so good, on and off the pitch, I now keep him on the bench.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Red Robin likes this.
  5. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Yep LJ certainly knows how to get the best out of him.
    Ahh a benchwarmer<doh><doh><doh>