1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

"I’m Sitting Here Now With a Big Smile On My Face," Explained Lansdown

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, May 2, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Steve Lansdown talks about his long-term vision for Bristol City
    The Robins majority shareholder was speaking on Talksport radio today and re-stated his aims for the club

please log in to view this image

Bristol City majority shareholder Steve Lansdown.
    With their Championship status secure, Bristol City can now begin planning for mounting a promotion assault in the 2017-18 season.
    But it won't be funded through lavish spending on players. That was the message delivered by majority shareholder Steve Lansdown on Tuesday after he spoke to Talksport radio's Jim White.

The Robins supremo once again stated that he hopes to get Bristol City into the Premier League and to remain there, but it will have to be done on a sustainable basis, with clever recruitment and via the developing of young players.
    "I’m sitting here now with a big smile on my face," explained Lansdown with City winning at Brighton on Saturday.

"Whether it’s me or someone else, I want to see Bristol City in the Premier League. I won’t jeopardise the club though," explained Lansdown, who said that he hopes to make the west country into more than a footballing backwater.

"We have great support and when you come into football you hope you can make the difference and take [the club] to new heights.
    "We’ve made huge progress away from the football like the community work and developments with the training ground," he said.

Lansdown also went on to discuss how he was pleased to have seen the club's strategy work out this season including supporting head coach Lee Johnson.
    “I knew he was a young manager and I knew he would make mistakes,” said Lansdown, pointing to the success of Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger who have been given time to build up their clubs.
    "I think we had a good transfer window last summer and we felt confident we had the right formula in place."

And on running Bristol City generally?
    “There aren’t any real secrets in football – they always sneak out there one way or another. It’s an open book every day of the week. Let’s face it, fans aren’t quiet at letting know their opinions."

Talking specifically about the £45m that has been spent on City's home ground, he revealed:
    “The development of Ashton Gate was for the football club and something the city needed.”
    http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-lansdown-talks-long-term-41376

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Got to be honest, Lansdown I like, I am glad he is with us, that's where I'll leave it..

Bigjohnatyeo and BCFCRob like this.
  3. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

I think most of us felt it was a huge mistake to stick with LJ during the barren run, myself included. Maybe Steve knows things that we don't and could see the light at the end of the tunnel....or maybe he just got lucky in time.

No-one can ever doubt his support for the club. It doesn't matter how much money you've got...he could have easily bought a nice yacht and a Learjet rather than redeveloping Ashton Gate. He's a shrewd businessman and maybe, just maybe, his business acumen will see us in good shape for the long term.

I truly hope that we come out of the traps flying next season, as we did this one. At the end of the day we've proven with good away results at BHA and Newcastle, that we can play with the best. If we could just do that with the mid table bunch, what a different story it might have been.

4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I think referencing SAF and Arsene Wenger is a little presumptuous.

Time will tell, but we've heard it all before.

5. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I say good on him for his backing to the club and standing by his guns when the going was tough.. no knee jerk reaction when we went on a bad run and replacing LJ with any old manager that was available at the time.. Move on and see where it leads us..

Bigjohnatyeo likes this.
  6. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

That has been our problem for years, we just move on and see where it leads us.

7. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I will reserve my comments until I see how it pans out for the future and only the results he is promising will fully satisfy me. Perhaps he can one day meet his supposed target, and like all others I hope he does, but these things and more have been said before.

8. oneforthebristolcity

But in the past we chopped and changed manager like most clubs.. this time we have a bit of stability, even if LJ doesn't work out, lends well for the next potential manager..
    Now, I read from many posts on here that obviously LJ listened to them (not sure he did) and started playing "high up" and 442 and it was "obvious" that would improve results!!
    But the good thing about LJ, he did change it and did get results. I also imagine he will continue to change it until he finds the right formula for the players he has and the teams we play against.. I've got no problem with that.. it was SC downfall, not changing things.. At the moment I back him all the way.. think he will come good..

Bigjohnatyeo and manxrobin like this.
  9. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I'm sorry mate but with regard to LJ I just couldn't care less anymore..I hope Bristol City do well.

10. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

<ok><ok><ok><ok><ok>

11. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

A relieved smile more like.

As far as I am concerned the slate is wiped clean again. SL, LJ, the club and us too are very fortunate.

12. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Fortunate for what exactly ?

To have an owner whose opinion of his own appointed lapdog wouldn't have been swayed even if we'd been relegated ? Who is now sitting there with his usual smug grin because he gambled and won for once ?

Johnson himself who didn't do the honourable thing and walk away when he gave us the worst losing streak in our entire history ?

In my humble opinion, no one has been exonerated nor should they be slapping each others backs and saying well done.

We've survived after one of the most unpleasant seasons I can ever remember. Firstly because there were clearly at least 2 teams who were worse than us, and because at times we did compete and get results.
    But there were long stretches when we were abject.

And so for me the slate is most certainly not wiped clean..

13. johngalleyfan2

I do not think WSC is the right terminology, we have a owner and a manager who are both in station and moving on to the next phase...season 2017/18. So agree for most who throughout the season has HAD A CHANGE FROM support to vitriolic distain regarding the peeps who they felt had let them down.. and I can see that, accepting them is likely going to be a very big uphill process.

one of the most interesting things about our very good and diverse board is that whatever is said, it never leads to out and out "fisticuffs" we all have opinions and sometimes "arguments" are protracted, but we all seem to end up on friendly terms when the season ends. I THINK Lee did the right thing in staying, I never called for him to go as I have seen over the past 70 years or so, and not just in football, seen many scenario's of situations not unlike unfolded at CITY this season, been in a couple myself...and came out on top and wish Lee well !
    sometimes successful people, those that command £150k - £1m + salaries and company owners etc have only been a success because they see things the likes of us DONT ! WILL THE PRESENT AIMS AND MEMBERS OF STAFF be testament to a new era? Well the clock started ticking @
    3pm on the 6th August 2016

14. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I mean we are all fortunate that results improved and we climbed to safety.
    At one stage it looked like we were doomed to relegation.
    Yes it's been a horrible season for the most part and I am not in any way trying to talk it 'up', but the climax to a really horrible season would be relegation. That hasn't happened. That's why I think we were fortunate.

15. oneforthebristolcity

I think a side ( and manager) that can dig deep and get results when needed is a good reason for optimism!!
    Had we finished just below playoffs the doomers would be saying exactly the same thing!! "With the funds blah blah"
    It's been a bad season, get over it and move on!!

16. johngalleyfan2

HAS IT REALLY BEEN SUCH A BAD SEASON? A diverse selection of our posters have varying ways to, at the start of the season or early in the season come up with comments" like to early to judge, season is 46 games long, it all evens out etc etc" or similar such jewels. Oh how some jump off or fall off their own convictions when things awry!

M
    aybe 1 game early to give a true analysis as we could finish with 1 or 3 more points...

no one had us in bottom 8
    but 10 of 15 of us had us in mid 8 .... of which 6 had us below 12th ( 13th 14th or 15th ) so around 60-61 points to finish about 12th
    or 55 to 66 points to finish in the middle 8
    Currently we are close to fulfilling their dreams ! although some have had nightmares along the way <yikes> :emoticon-0105-wink:
    a general concensus is the season averages itself out ? well had we WON 1 drew 1 and lost 1 we would have 60 points what let us down is we only drew 9 ! hence 54 points
    SO A BAD SEASON?

Well after our "easy start" and some welcome points yes just a little disappointing, but bad for me? yes , as I expected a top 6 finish.

17. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Let's just say it could have been a fantastic season if the apprentice new what he was doing earlier in the season.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  18. johngalleyfan2

???

19. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I find it odd that people say we have fortunate of late with good results, yet don't consider we were unfortunate in our bad run. Memories are a great thing, the Preston game aside we have not lost by more than 2 goals all season, and you can count on one hand how many games that has happened, so out 46 games we have only lost by 2 or more goals 6 times.

My point is we were a lot closer to nicking a point or 3 in our bad run than we wree of losing points in our good run, yet we are deemed fortunate the tide turned.
    So, have we had 2 lucky spells and 1 unlucky spell or not?

20. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

I think is was the manner of some of those defeats. Sheff Wed,Cardiff and Reading in particular and from being in such a good position at Derby and Newcastle.- We gave away a goal late against Wolves and QPR, but neither time did I feel those sides coming back further.We did get much, much better closing games out. Against Barnsley, once we got in front, there was only one winner.

Bigjohnatyeo likes this.