1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Hungry like the Wolves?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Bigalreigned, Mar 6, 2017.

1. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I reckon Mick will make the decision to quit himself at the end of the season.

Nuggets likes this.
  2. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Awkward decision for Mick come the summer - walk and he'll forfeit a lucrative compensation package.

However, stay and be " backed " like he has been this season, and what in gods name can he or anyone else for that matter achieve? Murphy going on transfer deadline day then PRAYING Leon Best is FULLY FIT and INTERESTED for AN ENTIRE YEAR is like guessing the number on a Roulette machine but there we go.

It's clear as mud this summer especially we need quite an overhaul of personal - all three current loanees have certainly added something more than we have so I'm quite happy in how we've used this market.

My question for people - should Mick walk which I can understand many want - then regardless of who comes in our transfer budget that's visible to all will be say
    £2-£4mil. Realistically are we likely to be able to compete with the top 6 next year?

When considering the vast ££££ other clubs are spending ( Wendy have spent over £20 mill this season ), Villa and Nodge will go again, Derby chuck ££££, three more relegated clubs with the laughable FFP warchest, are we REALLY likely to compete?

We're now getting gates of 15.000 - 15.500 which of course is poor. I understand bar season ticket holders what in gods name is the point in people paying £25-£35 when the seasons as good as done. I understand many will be staying away due to not being a fan of Mick's " football " - hell, even I'm not. I like the guy and think he's a good manager and feel for him with the situation at Portman Road, but even during 14/15 play off season I cannot pretend we played sexy Joe Royle footy. Nor is there any point regardless of manager of us trying to play the good stuff when competing in a division where 14 or so clubs can pay more and get better players than we can for it - so I get why Mick goes for the mega ugly footy. It doesn't mean I like it. I don't!

On that subject, Clegg said the club will be looking at tickets for next season so lets hope they are going to finally give something back. The ticket " promotion " for the Wolves game of buy a full priced ticket for Brentford, get 50% off your Wolves ticket borders on insulting. Prices are far too high and need to be looked at before we get 13.000 / 14.000 a game next year. I f ing hate Chelsea fan Clegg after meeting him. Arrogant idiot.

The only positive for me at the minute is the academy is churning again - Dozzell / Emmanuel / Kenlock / Bishop. Okay, now certain players should have had more minutes however they are certainly in the mix. We have others coming through, could Benyu push on?

Don't get me started on the Kiefer Moore situation - jesus.

It just seems from my perspective, we're a club going absolutely nowhere at the minute.

fieldmarshall and Nuggets like this.
  3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I hear (and I'm not sure how genuine this information is) that it will be by mutual consent

4. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

We've ended up with more draws than IKEA!!

ostlan and Scowey like this.
  5. itfcptc

I don't understand your argument Westy of there be no point trying to play good football!! Brentford, Barnsley and Preston are all in similar positions to us and play half decent football.

Mick would never play good football at whatever level he was at or what ever transfer budget he would have. I actually think he's a good manager and has certainly stabilised us and in terms of points you can't really argue with bar this season with the most talented squad he's had. However I have 2 main gripes, the uninspiring football and the fact he's always more willing to play bang average players even if they're on loan over developing our youngsters, I could understand it a little more if it was clear those players were streams ahead of our youngsters but they're not!!

I also have to question our transfer policy, yes we need to spend more money on transfers but apparently in terms of our wage structure we're up there in the top half..... so does that mean were paying a bunch of average players more than what they're worth? If our wage structure is competitive surely no matter what we're spending on transfer fees we should be competitive!!

San Diego likes this.
  6. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Exactly,itfcptc.What's the point in playing s***e football to a half empty ground of disgruntled loyal fans just to grind out bore draws and spawny 1-0 wins to end up lower mid table.I am sure we could achieve the same position using most of the players we now have but playing more attractive football.That's all I,and almost everyone who I talk to and go to PR regularly are asking for!Take the last five drawn games, if we had gone for it and really tried to win them we may have ended up with two wins two defeats and a draw . Marginally better in terms of points but much happier fans.

There really is no point in comparing what we do or don't spend in the transfer market with"bigger" boys.It's a bit like the fans who were "pleased" we sold Mings for £8 million, the fans ended up with a worse left back and none (or very little of it) used to improve the team,cheers ME!We are where we are and have to live with that.All ME has to realise is he's not going to sell as many Season Tickets,and maximise the Club's commercial potential, with the prospect of another Season of dross footie.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  7. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

I used to think give Mick a decent budget and see what we can achieve but I'm not sure now. As it's been said 1 step forward, 2 steps back at the moment. From one perspective you can say he's done a good job and we are tough to beat, unfortunately too often tough to watch too. I'd rather we lost last night 3-2 in an end to end game. Seriously, I nodded off last night to sound of Mick Mills and a half empty stadium.

San Diego likes this.
  8. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

That was bloody awful, where did the performances go that we played V Reading and Leeds? Lawrence seems to have got a touch of big time Charlie and is doing nothing more than finding new ways to be caught offside, premier league? He really is having a laugh. We played boring football with hardly any serious goal attempts against a side that had lost 6 in a row for Christ's sake.
    I'm totally sick of this season and I'm glad that a few hours after the match we took off to the sunshine here in Cape Verde..

9. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Have a good break FM.....lot more enjoyable than PR at moment!

10. johnnywarksmoustache

Enjoy your holiday FM <cheers> Just think that you have all this to look forward to when you get back!!!! <ok> <laugh>

11. Westlake33

ITFCPTC – I had a similar discussion over here with a Wigan fan re the style of play and he was saying after they’d established themselves in the premier league, their fans were desperate to play better stuff. Along came Martinez, making them far too open and they quickly realised perhaps while we all wish to play like Barca, there is a balance.

Unfortunately, creative “ sexy “ players cost £££. I agree we pay a decent wage to players, however we’ve opted to go down that route more so than the transfer fee. Until we’re willing to pay a decent fee ( and I don’t mean £6-£9 mill a player ) maybe more £1 - £3 mill on 4 or 5 players I actually don’t see the point in changing the style of play too much under Mick. Sure, it’s bordered on absolutely painful to watch at times and like you all – I’m no way a fan of this but I can fully understand why some managers play the game in this manner.

To me in very basic layman terms and not to be pedantic / insulting to any of you transfer fee wise we’re probably bottom 8 in the league. I could be wrong. MOST sides in this league try and play football. So in theory – Clubs who spend more than us on players transfer fee wise – attract better than us footballing ability players – we play them the same style and we’d more often than not lose.

The main problem they all have, is if the results are terrible / poor it’s a lot harder for us to take and our patience with them runs out a lot quicker. I’m far from happy with the season, Mick, however I can understand why he’s stubborn to a degree.

ITFCPTC – regarding playing loanees / other less able players over our youth – I get that. At least Douglas will have moved on next season, I’d love to see the back of Kevin Bru too. Not good enough. We have four young players who are in and around the side – Kenlock/Emmanuel/Dozzell/Bishop which does show the academy is churning. I’m interested how Morris/Blanchfield/McDonnell/Benyu develop and whether they could get into the 18 next season. How good is our academy?

fieldmarshall likes this.
  12. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Thanks boys, that's the trouble with being a Town fan I'm sitting in the sunshine round pool with unlimited cold beer and I'm thinking about today's match at Barnsley! I've just heard that Sturgeons love child has left The Budgies, they can make the play offs, financially secure for the foreseeable future, gates in excess of 25000, sack him!
    Quality last post as usual Westy good stuff.

13. itfcptc

I'm not talking about sexy football (although that would be nice) and I understand why teams don't want to be open but I feel the way we play we make it tough for ourselves.

All I would like to see is a bit more courage on the ball, yes keep it tight at the back but it would be nice to see players wanting the ball, making good runs and passing the ball with intention rather than just hope.

I just can't understand how getting players to hoof the ball into a space where none of their team mates are any where near, not making a run because if we lose the ball at least we've kept our shape or not wanting the ball therefore giving your team mate less options makes any tactical sense. Why would anyone think playing that way makes tactical sense?

I have to say Skuse is the epitome of this. We had a few good performances until he came back in the team and Mick beat the footballing brains out of our new players!!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  14. Westlake33

Yeah fair response - the style is turgid.

For once as well we've got a good amount of pacy tricky players and not being utilised. Lets hope as well this finally puts the end to the Jonny Williams saga - absolutely no point in signing the lad again with a view to him being key to our season. Yes good loan terms but it's just not going to happen for the lad.

I haven't been around for the 3-5-2 - what are peoples thoughts on this? Are Kenlock / Emmanuel and Spence good enough to be the full backs and add energy, delivery next season? I'm going to discount Knudsen from this as he's not mobile enough / awful delivery so he could be more in the back 3.

15. johnnywarksmoustache

We are now in a relegation fight my friends.

A tough game away at Cardiff followed by a home game against Brum. A minim of 4 points is required. Anything less and we will be sucked closer into the trap door. I really fear for our future.

16. itfcptc

I think that is a good point Westy, although I didn't like it actually you could put up with Micks style a couple of years ago because he'd brought in players who were more suited to that style of play. He's now brought in more players who are better technically than before yet we are still playing the same football which actually has meant we're not as good as we were before despite having better personnel. We have players who come in who look decent and then they seem to have the footballing ability taken out of them.

The other gripe is that despite average players performing poorly Mick still doesn't seem overly keen to develop our youngsters. On paper MEs 5 point plan I'd agree with however he's got a manager where it doesn't come naturally to him to play good football or bring through youngsters.

It's a shame because Mick gets alot right and is a decent manager unfortunately he doesn't do the things that gets fans excited and fall in love with the game.

17. Westlake33

Agreed - I mean he got a midfield of Anderson / Tabb / Skuse + either Bishop or Bru top 6 in the league for heavens sake.

I actually think he was convinced Murphy would stay this season OR he was assured by the board if Murphy did leave, we'd definitely be covered uptop. There is no way in hell McCarthy would sell then gamble on Leon Best / McGoldrick staying fit. Sears / Pitman are both good players however they aren't enough to rely upon to get you into the mix. They are fine as part of the four main strikers, but main two they are not.

I think with a focal point, someone to hold the ball up we would have seen an evolution of style this season - why the hell else would he sign Lawrence, Ward, Williams if the idea back in June / July was more head tennis. Not saying we'd have achieved the aim but think the season would have at least had an opportunity to do what we wanted to.

Regarding bringing players through, I don't think he's horrific - but he's certainly no Joe Royle. Royle would have given several a go and seen whether they could swim or sink.

Mick or someone else at the helm, unfortunately I do not see us moving forward as a club anytime soon unfortunately. Far from impressed with the goings on at the club these days.

San Diego likes this.
  18. itfcptc

Yes exactly.

Completely agree the loss of a target man is a huge blow. There are ways of combating this but unfortunately it's not in Micks DNA. I actually think both Sears and Pitman are good enough to be relied upon if paired with the appropriate partner and we play to their strengths but this does involve having a player to take the hits next to them.

Sears was on fire at the start of last season when paired with Murphy until he got put on the wing. His movement was superb. I think they looked a far better partnership than when Murphy and McGoldrick played together.

And Pitman is a very clever player, unfortunately this season he's been played as a target man when he's much more of a poacher and again needs a target man alongside him.

I think Micks recruitment recently has been pretty good, I'd question some of the loans but he's brought in some decent players in. The ones which annoy me are the journeymen who are no better than the youngsters we've got and also he's brought in a fair few loans particularly in attacking midfield which has stifled the progress of our own players.

I think Mick has been one of the worst in terms of bringing youngsters through in quite a while especially as the production line is up and running again. He just doesn't have the mantra if they're old enough they are good enough. Considering we've been floating in mid table for a large chunk of time, he hasn't given many a chance. What's the point in hanging them out to dry in dead rubber games at the end of the season?

San Diego likes this.
  19. Westlake33

True re Sears and Murphy, during 14/15 minus Dids they were a very good partnership. I just have to say I wasn't convinced Sears would be good long term. Not a fan of him at West Ham, however he arrived after banging in quite a few at Colly.

The loss of the target man has for me been the biggest blow. Completely agree re Pitman, that he is not! Needs some movement or someone to hold the ball up. Pitman sadly for him is better suited to 90s footy when two strikers always played together. A little outdated and limited as a player, but a great finisher none the less given service.

Agree re his recruitment - given the budget allowed it's been pretty good for the most part. Douglas is a player people slate but he was certainly worth a go on a free - two year deal HMMMM but he did score eight for Brentford in their play off campaign and was captain. He's used the loan market well but been well and truly hung out to dry on attracting a good striker as it would cost £1.5 mill minimum I'd say and we don't seem to wish to invest in fees - more wages so it's tough.

We'll have to see regarding youth what the next gafa does after Mick to say for certain if he's got it wrong - however it does appear he's at times reluctant to use. With the academy quota going up, he along with other managers are going to have to be braver.

And in a nutshell, I've banged on about this before and I will again - that is what I took from the meeting with Milne 15 months ago. We're going to adhere to FFP where many other clubs will not ( wait for the penalties and them selling players ) and we should have enough bodies to fill the young player quota in the matchday 18. It seems the club barring some freak results of 14/15 do not wish to be obviously ambitious in terms of having a crack at top 6 and therefore I feel whoever is in charge we're short term next three years absolutely f......ing snookered.

That said, what league will we be playing next year!? Just five points off - Brum + Wigan home do allow us to more or less confirm our status, allow Mick to start having talks with Evans and perhaps blend a few youngsters in - however like you say ITFCPTC again they would be playing in meaningless games......

Unless Brum and Wigan have other ideas however, then really god help us. I feel should we drop this season ( I don't see it but barring Burton one traditional big club will ) we could well be stuck in league 1 for the forseeable and be the new Sheff Utd. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear......