1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hull

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by armchairblue, Oct 1, 2016.

1. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

guess Conte wanted no repeat of Cahill to Opp assist third time.
    to me that is excellent call given the cirumstances.

2. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Once they had some time in the new formation, I thought they all did pretty well. Moses repaid my opinion of him as our most impressive winger so far. It's his size that helps.Costa will not be criticised by me again, I'm won over. Alonso is coming good, Kante was the bollocks, Matic got better as the game went on, Luiz was all action. OK , not one of the top teams as opposition, but with JT and Zouma to come back, this formation just might be the way to use what talent we have in the best way. Can see Mitchy, Chalobah and RLC all being able to slot in somewhere in this line up. Well done to all.

Bullet tooth Tony, Diego and StanDMan like this.
  3. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Exactly, this is a beacon of hope.
    Conte showed his bollocks by dropping Ivan instigating fear in the playing squad that nobody's position is given.

He has tried a new formation against a gritty side away. I would have taken a draw with what he is done. 3pts is great.

I agree this is a season of tranistion. I would be happy with top 6 provided Conte continues the transition successfully by giving youth & new formations a try.

4. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

Lets hold back a little on the positives coming out of a game against Hull. Yes it was a win when last season we may have lost, the first half was not so good and Hull could have been in front. Second half we definitely were better and they could not maintain the level of work rate that needed to supress us. We are far away from where we want to be at the moment, but under Conte we have a very good chance of getting there. Costa, Kante and Alonso were the stand out players for me, just can't wait for Zouma to get back we will be stiffer opposition to the top sides then I'm sure.

StanDMan likes this.
  5. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

bottom line - Conte needs to sustain this change. There will be wobbles down the road.
    But
    he cannot / shouldn't go back to the 'Old Guard (Liabilities)' for any reason.

Diego likes this.
  6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I hope our man sticks with benching Rooney and Fellaini, change has to happen but in a slow respectful way with some.,

7. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Agree with Fellaini. I am still confused with Rooney tbh. Long run Rooney will fill in for Lingaard.
    Rooney isn't too bad, evidence crucial assists in the last 2 games. I know they are miscues.
    But Rooney was like on the money, on the right spot & time.

8. Chelsea Pensioner

Good assessment. We are still behind Arsenal, Liverpool, City and maybe Spurs as well so far, but....... Conte is now pretty much on top of how good his players are, what kind of game they can play, who is simply "out of form", and hopefully, which players compliment each other. That should mean more cohesive selections, and more complete performances. My point earlier was that hopefully he now also knows who is the right sub for the way we are set up in ant particular game. Hope we might soon see a formation with Michy and Costa as twin striker. But if any one of our youngsters can slot into the set up, that has to be a bonus.

9. Bullet tooth Tony

CP we are definitely behind Spurs, for me that is not a maybe. In Pochettino they have a very shrewd manager that can produce the best out of players quickly. The writing on the wall was Southampton, he brought them to a new level in one season regarding status, and you have to credit Spurs no matter how much it hurts they did a damn good job in hiring him, moreover Southampton also for bringing him to the prem in the first place. I really think Conte' will have done well if he gets us to the europeyleague, any higher and it will be a bonus but realistically, I will take top six this year and then with a few additions and even more importantly, a few reductions, next year we will be heading in the right direction. FORZA AZURRE'

StanDMan likes this.
  10. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Exactly - this season is going to be crazy difficult climbing up the table.
    Jose is already huffing & puffing in his own league, still it is his league to lose.
    No way City is shoe in for title - never. I will be impressed with Pep if he makes Top 3 tbh.

Conte needs to go with Youth & right Defence to make Top 6. If he persists with dead wood WE will struggle to get Top 6.
    I have confidence in Conte after last game changes. Up the Blues.

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

After the fallout Jose caused last year and with a manager new to the PL, you should be looking at top 6/7 this year and a proper assault next year. I still think you have the players for top 4 though if they click fast enough.

StanDMan and Bodinki like this.
  12. Chelsea Pensioner

Absolutely spot on. Crazy to think we could win anything this season, even top four is a stretch, though not entirely out of reach. My Spud son in law is making my life a tad uncomfortable, but he has copped plenty from me, so for now I grin and bare it. My hope is that Conte has now made his assessments and is now ready to build the team as he sees it . I think we will see more kids get chances, and that our youth Policy becomes more in line with those clubs who blend youth and experience. We are only a couple of players away from being really good, unfortunately the midfielder and defender we need, whoever they might be, will cost a fortune.

13. Bullet tooth Tony

I've seen reports we are going to bid 60/70mill for Bonnucci. He is a damn good defender and just what we need but for that price we could buy an entire back line if we scouted hard enough. Other clubs seem to unearth gems but somehow all we seem to do is buy them.

14. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

personally I don't agree with that buy. We are not Moneybags like Manchester teams anymore.
    For a 30 year old - that sum isn't good however good he is.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  15. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Bring back Christensen and save 60 million on a player nearly 30. Not sure how this fits with our policy to only give over 30's 1 year deals ;)

Barca apparently looking at Christensen as well. Need to show this kid he has a future.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  16. The Ginger Marks

Indeed he is a future talent.

17. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Latest rumours: Hazard + cash for 29 year old Bonucci. Wow..

18. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Hopefully just rumours. That would be madness. More likely to be Oscar or Matic.

19. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Yes, Oscar or Matic will be sensible. Hope this pisses off Hazard and he recaptures his early season form.

20. Chelsea Pensioner

Christensen to the first team looks like a no brainer. Then again, Loftus Cheek to get some game time under Conte also looked likely, but isn't happening. Surely we won't drive him out like so many others? I understand it's hard to play lots of youngsters, especially when we are not exactly flying up the table, lets hope a decision is made regarding our long term development, as opposed to trying to do everything this year, and we can at least play the youngsters enough to determine just how good they are. Conte has got a big job ahead of him, hope he gets the backing to pull it off if things take longer than one season.

Bodinki likes this.