1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hull sack Phelan

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by cumbrianmackem, Jan 3, 2017.

1. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

Trying to remain as neutral as possible on both points:

Silva - could be a masterstroke, could backfire horribly, I'd say "exciting" is a fair description. Doesn't matter how weak the league is, an 80% win record is ****ing impressive, the likes of Mourinho, Ancelotti, Van Gaal, Klopp, etc. have never managed it. Having said that, I think it's far more likely to go wrong, given that he has never managed in a league anywhere even close to as competetive as the Prem. Will be interesting to see though.

I'm not sure how well equipped Hull are for relegation, but we are very well placed to handle it - we should be, we've planning for it for the last5 years <laugh>. All our players have relegation clauses. We would of course let Defoe go, Pickford would most likely bring in a huge fee (already being recognised by many pundits as one of the best in the country, extremely young for a keeper, AND English - I'd be shocked if we got less than £25m for him), and the likes of PVA, Kone, Borini, etc (unless he goes in the January window) would also be saleable assets to enable us to rebuild.

Our youth system at the moment is also very promising, there are several young guns on the fringes who should be able to step up in the Championship. I'd be fairly confident of coming straight back up.

originallambrettaman likes this.
  2. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Which is exactly what Norwich, Villa and QPR would have said.

You're looking at it as we are now, when we go down, most of our lads will stay. Some too old to play in the PL but very good in the Championship, others not good enough to be considered PL but too good for the Championship. We kept our squad last season, only losing key players to injury/bigger wages elsewhere once we went up. Most of yours, I imagine, will quickly leave.

We'll see next season.

3. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

That's a fair analysis, Silva hasn't managed in a big league before, so we don't really know what's going to happen. Maybe a win?

4. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

I think we've got to look at it from two perspectives if we go down, whether Short is still our chairman/owner or whether we've been bought out.

In the first instance I think we'll struggle to come back up at the first attempt. We'll have a huge rebuilding process to go through and I don't think Short will be much assistance.

In the second, God only knows what we might end up with. Might do a Cardiff for all we know.

5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

So to your mind Hull would keep all their good players but we would be stripped of all ours, righto. You don't sound blindly biased or anything.

You probably don't know because it sounds like your head is up your own arse but we have one of the best youth sides in the country. Lots of quality players for us to call on there. And then there's the current first team and the money we'd get for selling our top players, if we had to.

I know you're excited because you've got a new manager and the world is your oyster but you're talking absolute ****.

Deleted likes this.
  6. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll take your advice and get out to Europe to watch some football <doh>

'Lens is out on loan, he's 29 and nowhere near what he was at PSV'. Actually watch some continental football instead of relying on past reputation or what you think you know <ok>

Yeah, we have a lot of Chinese interest, as well. I'm not going to say they'll be funds available if they take over because I simply don't know that they will be. Good on you with your inside knowledge, though <ok>

We could comfortably get 70 million for them players.
    Pickford 30m - 35m,
    Kone 15m - 20m
    Khazri 10m - 13m
    Lens 10m - 13m
    Defoe 8m - 12m

Then of course there's...
    Watmore 8m - 14m
    Borini 10m - 14m
    Van Aanholt - 8m - 12m
    Djilobodji 8m - 12m
    Cattermole 6m - 8m

That still leaves us with
    Mannone
    O'Shea
    Jones
    Love
    McNair
    Kirchhoff
    Gooch
    Larsson
    Pienaar
    Anichebe
    All of our quality youth players.

Plus **** loads of money to put back into the team.

Nacho likes this.
  7. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It's always funny when people who don't like Sunderland have one good thing happen to their club, the mags win a game, Hull get a new manager, and decide to come on here telling us all how great they are and how **** we are.

Get a grip you daft tarts.

8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

There's only two of us on here and I haven't mentioned Sunderland at all.

I said it's quite exciting because nobody knows what to expect, he's done very well in all his previous roles, but as has been said, they weren't at this level.

He might be a disaster, he might be brilliant, it should be a laugh either way, we don't take stuff too seriously round here.

9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I didn't mean you, I was referring to your cartoon friend and unspecified Newcastle posters who only ever feel brave enough to show up here when we've lost and they've won.

You're right, it will be interesting to see what happens with Silva. New blood is always interesting.

10. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021