1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Huddersfield thoughts

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Apr 4, 2015.

1. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Mate I totally agree with you on that ......when you can't get to many games its easier to just look at the results or point tally or league position and make a judgement.......that's why as I've said before I do try to listen to season ticket holders and away day boys to get a more rounded view on performances and such....

San Diego likes this.
  2. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

That was a tongue in cheek comment....but I believe before coming here he was predominantly a LB.

3. Guru of Ipswich

Guru of Ipswich Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody is saying Mick is perfect, yet we can't and won't win every game, Weighty hit the nail on the head when he said we overachieved in the first half of the season and underachieved since Christmas so we are about where we should be.
    Hopefully a good win on Saturday will lift some spirits.

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.
  4. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Testing Spanish's thought that we'll be the first team to be auto at Christmas to miss out on play-offs.

Position after last game of calender year. Team (End of Season Position)

13-14:
    1. Leicester (1) 2.Derby (3) 3. Burnley (2)

12 - 13 :
    1. Cardiff (1) 2. Hull (2)3. Middlesbrough (16) - Appears to be worse than our collapse but still not top 2 missing out on play-off

11 -12:
    1. Southampton (2) 2. Middlesbrough (7) 3. West Ham (3)

So there we go, didn't actually have to go back too far - if we don't make the play-offs we wont be setting any unwanted records. Still - Would obviously rather make the play-offs.

5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

As someone who has been vocal in their criticism of MM this(and previous seasons)I would say my main problem with him is he too often sets us up not to win matches but to not lose.
    I accept this is fair enough away to the likes of Watford where a hard ground out performance lead to a suprise win.

What really gets my goat is games like yesterday when, with all due respect to Huddersfield,we should of put out our best/most attacking formation with a view to winning big and improving our goal difference.Instead we get this cautious sit back and see approach until it's too late and he changes things in wild attempt to rescue the day.Hoppers set out above about half a dozen games where we had to suffer this sort of rubbish and as a result got no points.

tractor bhoy likes this.
  6. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I agree that our current playing ideology is pretty outdated and ineffective against the technically good sides in this division, that monopolise possession and adapts to our more direct and predictable playing style. Some of the results in 2015, where some sides have arguably found us out, are because of Mick's tactical stubbornness, over-reliance on a few favourites, an unwillingness to change formation, and, perhaps crucially, because of our squad's frequent capacity to self-destruct, wilt under pressure, and surrender points in 'must win' games.

Maybe that's being harsh on a side which was not considered to be promotion frontrunners and, on paper, are probably rightly considered inferior to most of the teams around us. A defeat always seems to bring out the stinging criticism and all-to-familiar laments about McCarthy's supposed managerial incompetence. But while we must be grateful for Mick's undoubted improvement and development he has brought to the club, and lifted us from lower mid-table doldrums to promotion challengers, his team selection flaws and overbearing caution must be reversed if we're to salvage a play-off place this term. It'd be naive to write us off the play-off race considering the inconsistency of teams around us. Not to mention we have a couple of winnable games coming up to hopefully give us some momentum when teams around us will inevitably be dropping points.

I guess the temptation to follow the philosophies of Bournemouth and Brentford (to name but two) is appealing, especially considering their success in relation to their reputation. Also, watching attractive, on-the-floor, attacking football would be a welcome change to the often dour and grinding style of play usually served up to us. While it has brought results before, whenever a side adopting such a 'negative' style of play loses form and starts dropping points, it always looks bad value for money, especially when we're paying some of the most expensive tickets in English football.

But to realise that change of playing style, the costs would be expensive. I think there would be a necessary requirement to overhaul the squad, sack the manager and staff, bring in a more progressive man, sign technically proficient footballers who, crucially, have the temperament and composure to play with the ball at their feet, which seemingly rules most of our current squad out. We'd need a new goalkeeper, a right-back, arguably a couple of ball-playing centre-backs, and that's just the defence! This all costs money and Evans seems unwilling to bankroll any serious levels of investment in this club. This 'austerity' is arguably necessary for the club to break even and start making profit, reversing years of financial waste and largesse seen under the years of Keane and Jewell where this club went backwards. But without a strong level of investment, especially when clubs around us are spending heavily and bringing in a strong calibre of player, then we're probably going to have to be accepting that we have to punch above our weight for the foreseeable future and spend within our limited means. Such an extensive change of playing style and personnel, if done on a limited budget, would likely set our club back and reverse the gradual improvement we've seen under McCarthy. It'd no doubt be interesting, but I doubt some of us would have the patience for such a long-term, risky strategy.

7. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Spot on SD! We have considerable talent waiting on the bench...every game.

8. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Once we have won the remaining 5 games and secured our place in the Play-Offs all this will be irrelevant,

9. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

That's the spirit...........and it would have been a great season with Mick a genius....<cheers>

10. Southcoastoldgaffer

Excellent post Nuggets, encapsulates all the depressing issues & choices very well.

I have been a pro- MM supporter for most of his tenure, and heaped praise on him and his team when playing well, even tho not necessarily winning. I am convinced the critical period was just after New Year, when we could all summise what was needed, a bit of real investment with 1-2 game-changers to shore us up; we were begging for it! If ever there was a time for ME to write a cheque, than that was it. Then, our old negative, defensive style gripped us once again, and the odd unfortunate injury has led to this calamitous run since January. With a few honourable exceptions, Watford, we have played well below par.

Where I am critical about MM is that time and again, he has chosen (seemingly obstinately) to choose the wrong team to start matches. And compounds this often by putting on the wrong subs in wrong positions!
    Like others, I do believe that if used properly, we do just about have the talent, determination, and squad depth, to still pull this off by the skin of our teeth. But only if he dramatically changes his long held beliefs and tactics.

I indicated during 1st half of Uddersfield game, that unless we took a point at least, we wont make the Play-offs. Others are on a good run, we are left to scrap for possible crumbs and others loss of points. Not the most desirable or likely outcome.

Lets hope I am wrong!

11. Southcoastoldgaffer

If only!

12. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

While there is hope Gaffer.....<cheers>

0 points against UddeRsFeeled is not good but 1 against Bournemouth is a good point and three against Watford was unexpected so imo that puts us about where we would have expected after those 3 games admittedly the points came from unexpected places.................it's the same old story our hopes are lifted then dropped only to be lifted again.....:emoticon-0107-sweat

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  13. Hoppersblue10

Hoppersblue10 Well-Known Member

That's a fair point Weighty but teams above and around us are not dropping points either.

14. johnnywarksmoustache

Brentford play Wolves at the weekend don't they?

15. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

I'm sure one or two will drop points between now and seasons end................well I hope.

16. johnnywarksmoustache

Brentford play Derby and Wolves Play Birmingham

If we can beat Blackpool by 3 or 4 then we should gain points on teams above us!

17. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

I'll take a 1-0.......<laugh>

18. johnnywarksmoustache

We need to give Blackpool a darn good hiding!

2-0 <laugh>

19. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

As Hoppers said, Parr is a right footed fullback, Varney is the closest thing we have to a RM, Anderson is dog ****!!
    Nice try, do try harder!!

20. Southcoastoldgaffer

God, just a win please, a win....and 3 pts in the bag!