1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread How should we play Fulham?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They played a pathetic side last night, kept a clean sheet and in the end won at a canter. They will face a far sterner test on Saturday but how should Warnock approach this one?

Maybe the principle of "if you score 3 then we'll score 4 " is an attractive proposition to the watching fans (and some on here <laugh>) but Fulham are quit capable of reversing that scorline.

There's a good argument that we should take the initiative in this one rather than sitting back and allowing them to play their slick passing game like our FA Cup debacle. However, they are no Rotherham and can hurt any side any time.

Keeping the same starting 11 with Hoilett in for Healey would seem the way to go but I wouldn't mind betting Halford will figure in Colin's thoughts for Fulham. Halford in front of the back 4 would allow Gunnar to move further up the pitch in a dual role, getting amongst them before they start and also adding some attacking threat. That would mean Hoilett on the bench again giving cover for Harris or Noone.

Go for it and play our own game from the start like against Rotherham, or stop Fulham playing as a first option - which route should Warnock take?

2. isawronnymoorescore

isawronnymoorescore Well-Known Member

I think he will sit back and try to hit them on the break, they are a difficult side to get the ball off them when they have it, i think it will be a frustrating game that we will win through in the end.
    So he has to get the ball out wide as quick as possible and i would play Pilks and Ken up top, i would also start with Whitts as his passing is probably the best we have and can control the midfield.
    I for one am really looking forward to this game and i hope the supporters turn up in good numbers. THE TEAM DESERVES A 20,000 + CROWD.

3. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Agreed Ronny but with egg chasing kicking off around the same time i doubt we will achieve that.

Spurs showed how to kick Fulham's arse on Sunday with a high line pressing game, totally outnumbering Fulham's defence at times. they were lucky to only concede 3.

However, we clearly don't have players with the same ability and quality as Spurs so have to do it our way. I think Sparkey is right and we will try to contain with Halford instead of Healy. But with Colin you never know..............

4. william5551

william5551 Well-Known Member

I think we should sign that Sutton goalkeeper feed him up on Clarks pies, stick him in goal and they will never score.

5. isawronnymoorescore

isawronnymoorescore Well-Known Member

Would that be a Clarks Pie ? !!

6. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Fulham will come to attack. Their defence is their weakness. I suspect NW will concentrate on stopping their neat passing and overlapping wing backs & aim to let the mighty Zed loose on their back 2.

7. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

There is no doubt in my mind we be will sent out to stop them playing. I think we will be very aggressive and press high up the pitch and press their midfield when they have possession.

We will definately be up for this and Fulham will have to cope with a real physical test.

They have some good players who can cause us trouble but they are a side who arent good enough for the top 6 so a very winnable game.

We dont seem to draw these days so a win either way.

I did think a mid week match would make us favourites. Sounds like last night was a walk in the park for them against probably now the weakest 11 in the Championship.

8. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

They play through midfield with some gifted ball players retaining the ball for long periods.
    Defence is the weakest part of their game, not that we tested it much, but you can see blind panic when the ball is in their box.
    Just shows how bad we've become under Junior.
    They pass the ball forever, usually with a good out ball wide or played through.
    Concentration for you lot will be key.
    Warnock's cute, I'll bet you get a point, at least.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Cheers Redprintt. I do like the look of Fulham this season - good passing side who can pass you off the park if given the chance. They destroyed us in the FA Cup game last month. Warnock and Blackwell didn't seem to give a monkeys about it on the side of the pitch. Our performance was embarrassing.

I'm sure that will all change and we'll play the game much higher up the pitch and at a faster tempo. Disrupting their game will probably be Warnock's tactics rather than trying to compete at their level with a passing fest.

As said, if they have a weakness it's their defence which can be porous if pressed. I'd like Harris and Noone to run at them with Zohore providing the presence through the middle. The question for me is should another front man start alongside him (Hoilett), or should we bring in Halford to allow Gunnar to push forward as the extra man.

I'd be surprised if Whitts starts unless Warnock thinks we can beat them at their own game.

10. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

to be honest i think Warnock's apathy and our dire display against fulham last month was down to the cup being an unwelcome distraction. as for who to play up front, if you're looking for a front man who'll run and run then i wouldn't look further than Pilkington personally.

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I don't think Warnock can ditch the Zohore/Harris/Noone upfront set up at the moment - it would certainly be harsh on any one of those not to start against Fulham.

I also like Pilks. I thnk he's a class player but has only just come back from injury. His 20 minutes against Rotherham was a worthwhile exercise.

If he's brought in to start, I just wonder who Warnock would leave out to accomodate him. Maybe now that Healey is out, he could take up that role in the side that started against Rotherham, but that would be a very attacking formation leaving only Ralls and Gunnar in the middle of the park.

suprimir likes this.
  12. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Keep pilks to run at tired legs. I prefer him out wide.
    To be fair to zohore he seems to have a big engine on him.

13. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

i think Ralls and Gunnar are capable of holding down the midfield with Harris and Noone tracking back well recently, that coupled with Bamba having the capability of pushing forward into the anchor man role in defence would ensure a solid defence, mobile creative midfield and a front 4 who can seriously trouble their defence

14. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

That's what Spurs did to them. Will Colin gamble or prefer to contain?

15. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Nothing to lose. Just about safe so might as well go for it.

16. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  17. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Made this the match thread as there's nothing else up here before I leave. <ok>

18. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

As said, nothing to lose. Take it to them. Win this and the season is alive.

19. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Fantastic game. Should have been out of sight by half time. Great strike by the Zed but disappointing to concede soon after. Each side could have won it especially John at the death. Would have been unjust if we had lost.

Stevoldinho likes this.
  20. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Best game of the season so far to watch. We could have been 2 up in the first 10 minutes. After they got the opener, getting back to a 2-1 lead was very impressive but the longer the game went on they got stronger.

As it was we seemed a bit tentative when they equalised and then it looked like they were the only team who were going to win it. Having said that, it could have gone either way and the draw was the right result.

Maybe regarded as 2 points dropped but it was a pleasure to watch that performance from City today. I said a few weeks back that Fulham are good enought o sneak into the playoffs and after watching that, I'm more convinced now.