1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How much would YOU sell Defoe for?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by David Moyes' Stupid Face, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Your reply wasn't tongue in cheek, it's just you trying to scratch your way out of it. You wouldn't have asked me to call you 'petty' if it was tongue in cheek.

Having said that, **** was a bit harsh... apologies for that, the rest stands.

2. adz_safc

adz_safc Active Member

As others have mentioned there is no logic in selling him for a realistic amount that someone well into their 30's. I'd want £150m to cover the cost of a replacement and the £100m TV deal we'd miss out on when his replacement didn't score as many goals as him and we go down.

3. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Damage done, we move on.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  4. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Just to jump into the Zlatan v Defoe, debate (Yes I know it's not serious)

Zlatan has had a massive 86 shots at goal, this season. Defoe has had 52.

I think that shows who the more clinical striker is...

5. Tel (they/them)

Do those shots include the 10 pens Defoe has scored <laugh>

6. Deleted #

Yes, it does. 5 penalties he's scored.. Just the 5.

If you would like to discuss penalties as a separate subject, I'm more than happy to do that. I think we've scored over 20 in a row and haven't missed one for about 6 years <laugh>

MrRAWhite likes this.
  7. Tel (they/them)

That's a pretty good stat to be fair.

Borini is good at taking them as well.

Mackem-Tiz likes this.
  8. Charley Farley

Charley Farley Well-Known Member

So JD has scored 6 in open play this season.
    That doesn't appear as impressive as 11 and if Borini was our penalty taker he could also have 6.
    Keep both of them of course, two of our best.

9. Deleted #

A goal is a goal, mate. No matter how they go in. Not sure why you seem to be playing Defoe down on here lately. That 2nd penalty against Liverpool was a very good goal took under extreme pressure.

Should we also remove any tap ins and freekicks from the stats? He's a key players and the only goal threat we have. He runs defenders ragged and pulls them all over the place for our wide players to find space to run into. He's the most important player we have, by a mile.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  10. Tel (they/them)

You can't underestimate the value of a good pen taker like, plenty of points are gained and lost over penalties. Michael Owen was notoriously bad at them, IIRC, blew so many opportunities when he stepped up. Calm head is what you need, we used to give ours to Irwin in the early/mid 90's as he was just cool as ****.

JD is reliable, looking at some squads like Chelsea... Batshuayi for £30m or Defoe for half of that? It's a no brainer, they'll ship that kid out for peanuts or on loan soon and go scratching around for the next big thing again.

11. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

Quote from Brian Clough, from when he was a player,---

I don't care how they go in. Penalties or off my backside, they still count.

Deleted and clockstander like this.
  12. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Hey Tel never knew you bought Cecile Urwin thought he was one of ours,..............<laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

13. Deleted #

I remember Irwin, he was cool as **** on set pieces. He was part of some **** hot defences for you.

The same happened to us in the mid 90's. We missed at least 10 penalties in a row. We couldn't score for ****, then one game away at Millwall, we got a penalty and up stepped our left back, Martin Scott, and the rest is history. He took them all after that.

Mackem-Tiz and Tel (they/them) like this.
  14. Tel (they/them)

Most pro footballers should be able to score from the spot, it's not exactly rocket science is it? But the mental side of it screws so many players. I was never comfortable when RVP took ours and he was technically sublime.

Mackem-Tiz likes this.
  15. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

How many players are able to score as many goals Defoe does? Then ask how many english players are able to score like defoe does. Out of those, how many would be sold for less than 25 million. And out of those, how many could we convince to come to Sunderland

For us, he is priceless.

low and hard into one of the bottom corners. You do that and the GK can't stop it. But as you say, the mental side of it gets to them. Defoe just steps up and calmly does it.

Tel (they/them) likes this.
  16. Deleted #

I'm not sure it's as simple as that, mate.

If a goalkeeper can read which way the player is going, then he's always going to have a chance. A keepers natural reaction when diving for a penalty is to go low towards a corner, not high. David Seaman was a master at it.

Before Defoe came to Sunderland, he scored 13 penalties and missed 9.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  17. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Was just about to comment on Defoes previous record at pens and I was sure it wasn't that good but 83's beaten me to it.

Darren Bent another one, proper poacher and good finisher but never comfortable with him standing over a pen.

Borini on the other hand, cool as a cucumber, just knows he's going to score.

18. Deleted #

It keeps coming back to confidence. Borini is one of the most confident footballers I've seen, not sure why he's that confident, tbf <laugh>

Defoe always had a bad record and especially under pressure. He missed a few against his former clubs, maybe as he's getting older he's a lot more relaxed and it's showing in his penalties.

19. Deleted #

Sorry mate, I don't get notifications so I miss a lot on here.

I think any professional footballer should be able to beat a keeper from the centre of goal and only 2/3 into the box.

Yeah, I believe it comes down to mental focus and belief. Like everything in life, really.

Tel (they/them) likes this.
  20. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I don't get it when there's a penalty shootout and you've got defenders and even the bloody goalie stepping up to take a pen before the forwards on the pitch.

In my view if you're a professional footballer who is specifically paid to score goals and you don't trust yourself to take a penalty then you're a fraud.