1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How many cup finals...

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Feb 21, 2017.

1. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Yep, been fortunate to see & attend all. 76 was just amazing & 79 pretty good also but that was maybe because I was a lil younger! <laugh> Cardiff was so hard to take for a variety of personal reasons. Could talk about 76 for hours. Hoping this is your 76 :1980_boogie_down:

RedandWhiteManofKent and Libby like this.
  2. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, FLT. Are you taking a swipe at everyone on this thread, or is it an exclusive club? I am guessing either pre-match tension or the fact the Kylie has passed you over again. She will come to her senses, mate.

Meanwhile, back at the question. All of the above!

fatletiss and Libby like this.
  3. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Been to just the JPT final. Wasn't a fan of football in general around 2003 so wouldn't have had a clue what the FA Cup was at that point. Loved Wembley and as a 14 year old at the time it was bloody good fun.

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  4. Libby

Libby 9-0

I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment or not <laugh>

Osvaldorama likes this.
  5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Some good responses here, and good to see a couple who have managed the lot <applause>

I remember for Cardiff that I could have got a ticket but would have been sat really far away from who I'd have travelled with.

At 12 my Mum wouldn't let me go :( never did forgive her, well until she wired me £550 when I was stranded in Munich back in October to get to Milan <laugh>

6. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

<laugh> The ref must have been blind to miss Claus desperately clutching at Henry's shirt. The whole stadium saw it.

I will always hold Henry in high regard for his sportmanship that day. But then I'm only 1/4 Irish :emoticon-0105-wink:

7. Mr_Saintly

Mr_Saintly Well-Known Member

Only this and JPT for me. I'm another 90s born.

Remember watching the FA Cup final in 2003 with my dad but don't think I was too interested at the time. Must've only been 10 yo.

8. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Only the JPT for me - wasn't really into football at the time of the 2003 final.

9. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I was just starting to get into football around the time of the 2003 final so didn't go (don't remember watching it either). I do remember walking to school in Sarisbury Green and just seeming like every car that drove past had a yellow and blue saints flag flying out the window on the days leading up to the final.
    My parents got me a ticket for the JPT so I came back from University in Plymouth to go to that one, red and white face paint, wig and all.
    And I shall be going to this one too <diva>

10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

It was a playful tickle...

11. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I've been fortunate enough to have been to all, except for the JPT. I was living in Spain then and just couldn't afford it. :emoticon-0106-cryin

However, in it's place, I did attend the 1976/77 Charity Shield v Liverpool. We lost 1-0, and I can't remember anything about the game, despite being there.
    Just had to look to see who scored for them - John Toshack.

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Didn't go in 76 - I was 15, and seem to remember thinking "oh well, I'll go next time". Wasn't expecting such a long wait. At that age I expected Saints, and England for that matter, to win loads of trophies throughout my lifetime.

That summer of 76 left a huge impression on me though. Southampton seemed a really happy place, I'm sure everyone was smiling all the time, though that might have been partly down to the fantastic weather.
    If you walked around anywhere in Southampton with a Saints top on, you got smiles, handshakes, cars hooting at you, all from total strangers.

My adolescence wasn't the easiest part of my life, and if I'm honest I was never that happy during the 9 years I lived in Southampton, but that summer was a bit special.

Libby and fatletiss like this.
  13. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

How could we forget such a momentous occasion?

14. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

Been to them all except the ZDS. Went to the charity shield as well but won't be there on Sunday :emoticon-0106-cryin.

15. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Glory Hunter <laugh>

garysfc likes this.
  16. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

This will be the first one I'll be attending but I well remember 1976, the fear, the joy, the happy tears :1980_boogie_down: I vaguely remember 1979 though the second semi-final sticks in my memory more because I was out at a public speaking competition that night and on pins, not because of the competition but because of Saints. 2003, I was at a Stargate Convention :emoticon-0111-blush A friend's husband who was at the same convention was an Arsenal supporter so he obviously had a great time at my expense :emoticon-0121-angry

I've been out at various highways depots today and to a man - unless they were ManU supporters - they all wanted Saints to win on Sunday so if public hopes count for anything we should win 6-0 :D

ChilcoSaint and fatletiss like this.
  17. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I wonder if that public mood will be reflected in the football media.? It used to be that way [donkey's years ago now], but these days the media just seem to want to promote the glamour club.

18. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

Been lucky enough [and old enough] to have attended all apart from the ZDS in 92. Great memories from all 4 finals, but I remember very clearly my old chap taking the whole family up to the 76 final and staying in a small hotel near Wembley on the night before the game. There were a few United supported in the hotel that didn't think we had a chance and predicted us to lose by 6 or 7. Arrogant bastards?
    I'll be there on Sunday and I'm quietly confident.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  19. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Same for me Beddy,seen em all including the charity shield.not this year I'm afraid,when we scored at Anfield my son in Shanghai phoned and said booked my flight just gotta get a ticket now.So him and his brother has got our tickets.
    Still happy though:1980_boogie_down:

20. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I think most of us who had to watch the 76 final on TV, especially if we were in "mixed" company, will remember the complete disdain, bordering on contempt, that Saints were held in by the Man U fans. I will never forget the moment Stokesy's goal went in, followed by me stubbing my cigarette out on the ceiling, followed by choruses of "Offside!" from my companions, followed by stunned silence until the end of the game as it dawned on them that the impossible was actually happening. Great times!