1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How many cup finals...

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

... have you watched Saints in live?

Might be more interesting for the older posters, but I make Sunday the 6th in living memory:

FA Cup - '76
    League Cup - '79
    ZDS - '92?
    FA Cup - '03
    JPT - 2010

This will be the first I've managed to attend, though being born in 1991 it's only out of 3 realistically.

Anyone managed all 5? Or all in your lifetime?

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

JPT and 2003 for me. Didn't get to 76 or 79 and my mum was taken to hospital in 92 at the time of the ZDS

You said "living memory" and missed two out. I think Godders may have been around for the Bury and Sheffield Jnited finals too :)

3. Libby

Libby 9-0

Not bad then - a 50% win rate and Sunday will complete the domestic cup treble this century.

I nearly posted something along lines of 2nd paragraph but knew someone would oblige <laugh>

Can add Beddy to that too :bandit:

4. fatletiss

Same block as JPT tickets too....

5. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1 in 2003.

6. fatletiss

You must have been young then; 10 or 11? What are your memories of that.

7. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was the day after my 12th birthday. I remember finding a street containing my surname :) I remember being in the lower tier right near the pitch. I remember Niemi being stretchered off :( . I remember Henry sparing Claus a red card by staying on his feet rather than go down. I remember the incredible atmosphere - the roof was closed if I remember correctly.

Libby, ChilcoSaint and fatletiss like this.
  8. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Sadly this will be the first one I have missed. Circumstances beyond my control prevents me being there. Trust me though...while I may not be there in body, I will be there in spirit!!

Archers Road, Libby and ChilcoSaint like this.
  9. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Zds final and jpt are the only 2 I have attended.

10. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

For some reason TLL, I always pictured you as older than you are! I think it's your writing style.

I was born in 1990, so I'm in the same boat - I was at the JPT, but too young really for '03 as my Dad wasn't eligible to get us tickets!

11. fatletiss

That's pretty cool.

I'm actually impressed that you didn't remember from being 12, the referee being great. When did you change? :emoticon-0110-tongu

12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

This will be my first! Having been in love with Southampton Football Club since my earliest days, I have reached the age of 63 and a quarter years before having the opportunity to watch them live in a Cup Final. I now count myself among the most privileged people to walk this earth.

fatletiss and Libby like this.
  13. jacksk1

jacksk1 Well-Known Member

I was at the ZDS in 1992, the FA Cup in 2003, the JPT in 2010 and I will be there on Sunday. I was born in 1975 so I'm sure I watched both of the finals in the 70s on TV whilst playing in the corner with whatever toys were all the rage at the time. Does that count as a full house? :emoticon-0100-smile

fatletiss, Libby and Beddy like this.
  14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

JPT and 2003...only 2 finals during my season ticket owning phase. Wonderful atmosphere at both.

15. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

I was 9 for the 2003 final and my father hadn't started taking me to football by then. I only watched my first Saints game, 3-1 loss to Chelsea, in our relegation campaign in 04/05 and I fell in love from then on.....lucky me!

Since then though I have been lucky enough to secure tickets to the JPT final and I am off to Wembley on Sunday too! :)

16. Juniper

Juniper Member

Hi, thought I'd stop lurking and start writing - excitement of a cup final building up so I wanted to come out of the shadows and join in. Hope that's OK!!

All of the finals certainly in my lifetime, being born on the first day of the world cup in 1966 (jeez, how old???????). I grew up in Kent in a family of non-saints supporters and being 9 in 1976 was deemed far too young for that, but watched it on the TV and I do recall my dad allowing me to have a (small) beer to celebrate. But my big bro took me to Wembley in 1979 and I went to the others, so four out of five ain't bad?

Qwerty, fatletiss and Whiteley Saint like this.
  17. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

No need to lurk,welcome Juniper :)
    Just the ZDS final for me....and no not going Sunday :(

18. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Welcome mate enjoy the site.....Nice to see you posting.............

19. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

I did the ZDS and the JPT. However, the ZDS final was not only my first final but also my first "Leo". So, after gunning a four pack of Stella Artois on the platform at Southampton Central (because they wouldn't let us take booze on the train) then necking more than my fair share of proffered hip flasks en route and flopping my way around some London bars before taking our seats, my memory of the day and the game is very limited. I remember an almighty crack echoing around Wembley when Hurlock went in on Psycho early on. The next thing I remember is my very first onion bhaji in Raj Duth on Bedford Place. Great food, shame about the six hour black out!

20. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

1976 - on TV. Not really into football teams yet (I was 6...nearly 7) and I remember that my dad said to come from outside and watch this as it was our local team. I asked him which was the team he wanted, he said the yellows...so i said I want the team in red to win then :( He practically threw me off his lap when Stokes scored and I cried. Not because Stokes scored, but because the red team would lose lol. I need us to win this to banish the memory...

1979 - From what I recall it wasn't live on TV, as I have memories of listening on the radio? can anyone confirm?

2003 - I was there - a friend got us in a box on the halfway line. Amazing experience, crap result.

2010 - I was there :) enjoyed every minute of it.

2017 - I will be there :) I will enjoy it. I will love seeing VVD 'do a Terry' and lift the cup fully kitted out :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017