1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How long would you give Powell this season ?

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Aug 26, 2013.

1. typical

typical Well-Known Member

Is Solly really that good? I can't see him making many first teams in the PL? Such is the mediocre rubbish we have in our side that very soon, we will be putting a price on our kit man.

Solly is here to stay. The crap at cafc that haven't got a new contract (yann aside) don't deserve one, that's life, it happens in any other business, you wouldn't want a third rate heart surgeon would you? Why we bitching about players that are not good enough? Including the manager. It's the boards money let them decide who is worth keeping and if they can't give 100% for cafc then they can work in KFC next year as far as I'm concerned.

2. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

So assistant managers should be free from criticism, eh? What is the point of having them if they are not accountable for their input?

And you seem to think that because one person wants one manager out, that same person must have wanted all the previous managers out. Your blanket approach is really rather lazy.

Yes, I think Powell should leave, but I never thought that of Curbs (a true managerial genius) - nor Mervyn Day for that matter.

3. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Ponders,

I spoke to Curbs in April, and during the chat asked him what Mervyn was up to these days. He chuckled and said 'waiting for me to get another job'

<whistle>

4. Iwantabettertakeover

There are many posters I've noted over the years who have called for every single one of our managers to be sacked, so yes I'm referring to them...

Mervyn Day got it all the time in Curbs day ... How the hell do they or you, truly know the worth of the asst. Manager... Digging out the Astt. manager, it's just another boring old excuse that gets dug up by the knee jerkers... Are you down the training ground every day..? Do you know everything he does with the players..?

As for " lazy", the calling for manager's to be sacked every time a club is on a downturn has got to be one of the laziest acts we all see in football today...

5. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Is CP now the longest-serving Championship manager?

6. typical

typical Well-Known Member

Possibly till next Sunday

7. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Mervyn Day was seen as the weak link by many of the players at that time. Bibs, balls and cones <ok>

8. Ponders Revisited

I'm sure MD is not scratching about for a living. Besides, I'm sure Curbs wouldn't have wanted a liability hanging about his backroom team for all those years.

SuperC mentions bibs, balls and cones. Getting back to basics is what this current team needs.

Since day one I have criticised the appointment of Alex Dire, and I base this judgement on solid information, not just a personal opinion.

CP wants 'yes' men. Powell's pals.

9. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I said at the begining of last season that I thought Alex Dyer would be the scapegoat. Only 1 year off <laugh>

10. Thurrock Addick

I think this is an excellent point FHB.

For me it is a question of fear. It is far easier to go hiding and not show for the ball rather than show for the ball and risk making a mistake and potentially being the scapegoat for costing your team a goal. The crowd appeared to get on the backs of Morrison, Wood and Dervite for the passing across the backline and back to Hamer, but I applaud them for keeping it on the ground and not going long. The finger should be pointed at those in front of them for not showing the grapefruits to get on the ball and try to make something happen.

When you are playing well and confidence is high everyone is demanding possesion and making runs off the ball in order to recieve it. However, when you are in a rut, players do not want the ball and just want it as far away from their own goal as possible. It is the players that as FHB states stick their heads 'above the parapet' that for me are undeserving of the same critisism as their team mates, even when they have such howlers as Pigott and Pritchard had vs Millwall.

11. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

Wasn't it Hogan Ephraim who said he'd come here primarily because of the quality of Dyer's training regime?

He may well be a genius at what he does behind the scenes, but his public image is disastrous. On matchdays he just seems to stand there looking clueless wearing those bloody silly shorts. Gives you no confidence at all in him.

At a minimum, he needs to visit The Good Doctor's tailor...<ok>

12. Captain Blackaddick

Captain Blackaddick Well-Known Member

What is this solid information? Pray tell.

13. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Steve McLaren's been snapped up by Derby, so we're too late there. Damn!

14. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

Devastated - I'd just had a red and white umbrella monogrammed to welcome him... <laugh>

How is this going to move Derby County one inch forward?

15. Ponders Revisited

I would have done, Captain B. But there is whiffy undertone to your request, so I shall not divulge any further.

16. Captain Blackaddick

OK. I shall treat your negative opinion of Alex Dyer as completely groundless then.

Were you not rather childish in deliberately misspelling his name?

17. Captain Blackaddick

I wrote that in a bit of a rush. Apologies, both for that and for the undertone of my previous post.

I'll make my case in favour of Alex Dyer, pretty much in the same way as I have made my case for Chris Powell. If he is as bad as you say, I don't understand our success over the past 2 years. He is a man Powell trusts, and it is thanks to him and the other members of backroom staff, as well as Powell, that the team has done so well.

18. User deleted as requested

@ Captain

Personally I have no issue with a manager appointing an ex teammate, on merit, as his assistant. There are lots of other examples. McClaren has just appointed Paul Simpson at Derby. Ditto Ince and Rae at Blackpool, and Lomas and Harford at Millwall.

I have picked up little signs that Dyer's input is not all that it should be. Specifically, when we were 1-0 down at half time v Millwall, our subs Cousins, Harriott, Stewart and Sordell stood on the pitch at half time giggling like a bunch of school girls when they should have been warming up. Many fans noticed this. Dyer should have been out there drilling them IMO.

19. Ponders Revisited

Perhaps Damian Matthew is the real brains behind the unit. Is it so unthinkable that there may be a weak link in the set-up?

Besides, I don't see too much tactical nous flowing from Powell and his assistant, do you?

And yes, I am rather childish. Parp!

20. User deleted as requested

Reports today that Tony Pulis has been lined up to replace Dave Jones at Sheffield Wednesday. I hope that Jiminez is currently rooting down the back of his sofa for some spare change, and makes the call to T.P first. Get him in during the international break, even on a six month incentivised contract.

We are going down with these players under CP.