1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How long do we give him?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by GozoCanary, Aug 25, 2013.

1. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

Sorry, but it has to be asked.

2. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fairly irrelevant to ask now, seeing as he's just spent circa £25m of the club's money.
    Plus we've not yet seen a full-strength starting eleven play, with Bassong and Pilks out and Snodgrass only half fit.

To quote Superman last season "have patience, young man" <ok>

3. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I find the question stupid , uneducated and completely out of order!

<steam>

4. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

I said at the end of last season he should be given until December and I will stick to that, if we are still looking poor more times than we look good or even acceptable, then perhaps the board will need to have a think about his future <ok>

5. GozoCanary

Why? Do we stick with him if we are bottom after ten games, twenty, thirty? If we have more games which are the same? Why is it stupid to ask this question? Last season we were constantly told that CH is a magician - he kept us up with perhaps the poorest squad in the league. Well, I don't think we were that poor, and now we have one of the best forwards in the entire league. So I think he should be accountable.

6. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

Same goes to all the people who say 'Hughton out' there was quite a few of those yesterday.

But I guess we're not going to make the top 4 this year, Hughton out lol.

7. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Sorry vc but we've spent around £25M on some excellent players, we have a couple of big players out, another one or two not at full fitness, we've just played our SECOND game of the season, the game we lost was due to a very soft penalty, otherwise Hull would not have scored in a month of Sundays!

We lost yesterday not because of the manager but because most of the players forgot to turn up!

8. GozoCanary

I want to make it clear that I'd love to be proven wrong, humiliated, made to look like a fool, when we go on a ten match unbeaten run again. I want CH to succeed. But nothing I saw yesterday suggests that CH has learnt anything at all from last season.

9. GozoCanary

And I also accept that it was only the second game of a new season and that the performance against Everton was very hopeful.

10. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So, judging by that comment, you basically admit it was pointless to even start this thread then?

11. GozoCanary

No, I don't. I think there should be some kind of discussion about what represents success or failure. And, for the good of our club, I think we shouldn't stay loyal for too long. This isn't last season. This is his team. If he can't get them to perform, we should find someone who can.

12. Phuketcanary

Phuketcanary Well-Known Member

this all day long. We looked good against everton. We have big players coming back or in for the first time. We have players who need to adjust to new styles (eg, through ball to RVW rather than silly shot form distance) and we have just started the season. After 10 games i think we'll get a good idea of where we're heading. If we're bottom after 5 games we shouldn't panic.

13. GozoCanary

Agreed. But we should see some kind of progression from last season.

14. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

"How long do we give him? Sorry, but it has to be asked."

no, no it doesn't. utter, utter tripe.

it's nonsensical to even contemplate the question at this stage, let alone the answer.

get a grip ffs <ok>

15. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Even with key players missing, City had 13 shots on goal, four of which were on target. Decent for an away game. Even the MotD pundits said City should have had at least one penalty and the Hull one was 'soft'. If RvW's bullet header hadn't produced a wonder reflex save and if Fer's header had gone the other side of the post and if Redmond's shot had hit the inside rather than the outside of the post things would have been very different. It's one game! Frustrating yes, but not the end of the world. CH has assembled the best squad City has ever had. Let's let them show what they can do before we start carping, ffs!

16. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I'm gonna say far to early to be asked, I believe that by Xmas with the quality we have the worries should have been dispelled. And the answer then is till the end of his contract and beyond as a strong established PL club. We are a club of long term plans and I can't see any knee-jerk decisions any time soon.
    However that performance does raise the spectre of performances past, all to common last year and whilst I don't think things will be like this, if this is the start of a similar struggle to from xmas to April I find it difficult to imagine then that there won't be a fair few calling tor his head. By the way if CH plays Howson out of position for the next 3 games, I take it all back Hootun out!

Bah!

17. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I'm still going with second best squad for now, them of the Mike walker vintage where at least on a par for quality, but had greater experience, there's a thread in this!

Bah!

18. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

So vietnam, no doubt you´ll be calling for Pellegrini´s head tomorrow morning, as they haven´t just brushed Cardiff aside, currently 3 -2 down with no minutes left. We lost a game, so what, get over it, we´ll lose plenty more before the season is over.

19. carrabuh

carrabuh Well-Known Member

I disagree.

The team was completely perplexed as to what to do when in possession against the ten men. It had no idea because of a formulaic attitude instilled by the manager. Did the team adapt to the situation? did anyone see any changes tactically or positionally or in attacking vigour. I didn't. Whats worse that it had the stench of familiarity about it.

If we have indeed signed excellent players then why did they struggle to create the slightest whiff of a decent chance. I personally have no idea why there is all this fuss about Redmond as I don't think I've seen him create a single chance other than long distance efforts for himself. He can't pass for toffee, or cross, all he seems to like doing is running into players. I have doubts he's ready for first team football at this level.

The injuries excuse is total rubbish, it was pretty much full strength and no different to plenty of clubs who won up and down the country.

Hull wouldn't have scored in a month of Sundays, I dare say they wouldn't given they were down to 10 men hardly a ringing endorsement of our play. The issue is that DESPITE spending 25 million on "excellent" players we wouldn't have scored in a month of Sundays. Hull were not the issue, we were the problem.

That performance had Hughtons grubby ideas all over it, no movement, flexibility, ideas or self expression. Those elements should be inspired and developed by the manager.

In the teams defence, I would say that the passing intent was the best for a long while, sadly he's not bought enough/any players who are good enough at it, too much emphasis on the physical areas.

20. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

For crying out loud, we have played 2 games this season. Just couldn't wait, as soon as one little blip its gung ho on the Hughton out brigade! It flaming drives me up the wall... I could probably guarantee he will be charge in 12 months time what ever league were in!