1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How long a Bluebird !!!

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Boyoos99inOz, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Boyoos99inOz

Boyoos99inOz New Member

Exciting times for Cardiff these days , I've just joined these posts and have enjoyed the banter and news BBC 606 threads tremendously.
    Probably like a lot of the BLUEBIRD exiles (I'm calling from Melbourne, Oz) these notices give me a greater insight to what's happening than media reports - but I've never joined in until now.
    As a startup I'm proud to say I attended my first game at NP in 1957 and although frustrated at times never faltered throughout the years as a supporter.
    Be interesting to know how many other oldies are out there - not that it matters really - as long as you're a true blue.
    Have u ever given them away out of frustration and been won back ??
    Be interesting to know !!!

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Be interesting to know how many other oldies are out there - not that it matters really - as long as you're a true blue.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I know Proph is 106 and got Fred Keenor's autograph at Wembley.................<laugh> <laugh>

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  3. bluescull

bluescull Well-Known Member

Found you Spark!

4. concernedincardiff2011

went to my first game in 1979 but had to rely on my father having enough money to take me all the time so I only a 'every game' supporter from 1990ish

5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Scull - Hope you've still got that liniment handy in case Kav signs over here - he says he's missing your touch. <whistle>

6. irishbluebird

irishbluebird Well-Known Member

Like "concerned" saw my first game in 1979 when I moved to Cardiff.
    Hooked ever since.

7. hhotg

hhotg New Member

First trip to Ninian Park was in 1963. To be honest, I can remember more about the family size Clarks pies that we used to get on the way home than I can about those first couple of games :)

8. Boyoos99inOz

Boyoos99inOz New Member

Small things , but very true Hotg - would you believe I loved the smell of the programs around that time ! Must have been on somethin....

to tickle the memory - Early 60's some names - Graeme Moore, Joe Bonson, Ron Hewitt, Brian Walsh.....

9. FILEYseadog

FILEYseadog Well-Known Member

cardiff city......the poor mans swansea

10. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

My God scarborough - you must have been up all night working on that post. You'll be working for The Times before long. <ok>

99inOZ - Honestly can't remember the very first game I saw at NP, but I can distinctly recall watching Peter Rodgrigues (slide tackle supremo) a few times as a young sprog, and I think he left for Leicester about '65ish - I could only have been 7 or 8 then.

The abiding memory of that time was as written on my Beeb 606 profile. I was just 11 when that nice Mr. Wilson fluffed Hoenig's powderpuff shot against Hamburg in the ECWC semis. I was inconsolable and cried all the way home. <laugh>

11. hhotg

hhotg New Member

Peter Rodrigues, slide tackle supremo with a magnbificent moustache if I recall :)

I cried all the way home after the SV Hamburg game, and some other game where Don Murray ballooned a penalty over the bar and almost over the Grange End.

12. Boyoos99inOz

Boyoos99inOz New Member

Top player and servant to Cardiff was Peter Rodrgues - great left foot and tackler- had a good long throw if I remember right - in the days when long throwers weren't that common.
    You might be right Sparkey in that he went Leicester - definitely a Midlands club, but late in his career I think.

Huge memories too of Ivor Allchurch in those days - He played some great games for Cardiff late in his career. Of course he had a Swansea background but putting that aside - what a player!! - bit of a forgotten man in Cardiff's history. Certainly compares well with any forward we've ever had.

As for crying , or getting upset - I believe nothing compares with that day in May last year - I watched it 'live' over here with my son - an ozzie bluebird - but kept leaving the room , too upset to watch at times !!!

13. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

HH - that Don Murray penalty (miss <doh> ) was against Moscow Dynamo.

The Murray toe point blast meant it sailed over the Grangetown goal into the night sky as I watched from the right hand grandstand enclosure. I was asked by NASA to monitor it's trajectory.....<laugh>

99inOZ - It was defo Leicester that Rodrigues left us for, and he was only young at the time - very early 20s I think.

I do know that he finished up at Southampton, and won the FA Cup with them in the '70s. Sure he played for someone else though in between, but can't recall who. <ok>

14. concernedincardiff2011

for me Chris Pike was a legend, I remember seeing him score from the corner flag once, must have been around 1990ish.

I also remember David Giles playing for us as he lived in the same street as me. Wasn't a great player though, had more clubs than tiger woods!!

15. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

Fan since 1969-70 missed a lot during my 12 years in the army so the 80s and early 90s are a bit of a blank with regard to the city.
    I am now in Germany and I'm yet to get home to the new stadium. The internet, message boards and iplayer are fantastic tools for keeping abreat of what's happening in the world of the bluebirds.

16. concernedincardiff2011

Well done mate, bravo. did you think that up all by yourself? New board, same quality of WUM's.

17. clinging-on-just

clinging-on-just New Member

Been supporting The Bluebirds since just before the wheel was invented! Even drums were square in those days.

18. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Is there a chairman in the house?

Welcome on board your eminence.

I've been a bluebird since hair and sideburns were in fashion. Don't have either now :-(

19. Goodbyen0t606

Goodbyen0t606 Active Member

I am Australian, and I flew over to meet up with this cute Welsh girl in 1992. Stayed there for nearly a year and got to travel to all the away games with the lads back then. Loved it...I mean really loved it. Managed to get back there every couple of years to take in 2 or 3 games. I have been in Thailand for 5 years now and it is not so easy to get over. If I am lucky I will get to see them live in Malaysia soon. My Saturdays night are spent listening to Cardiff City player or watching dodgy streams. :)

20. Welshman

Welshman Member

1970 something or other. Remember going to away games on my own when I was 14, wouldn't be allowed today. Also remember sitting in the grandstand once with my mother when Cardiff played Fulham because she wanted to see George Best play.