1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How is Lukaku worth £28m

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by CFC: Champs £launderx17, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

riiiiight.....I know that, my question was how do you know Jose told Lukaku he would have to get behind Torres in "a queue".

2. Madinat

Madinat New Member

Because Torres was allowed to play football for Chelsea last season despite being woeful and he is still a Chelsea player. The almost equally hapless Demba Ba had a better goals to game record than Torres but it was obvious to everyone that Torres was a preferred pick ahead of him. Meanwhile Lukaku was busy scoring goals for another PL team. Unless Torres is being kept on to polish Roman's helmet he's more than likely going to be allowed to be woeful for Chelsea again next season when Costa isn't playing as Roman attempts to extract some more return out of his £50million investment. Surely the Chelsea fans would prefer to have a proper back up to Costa instead of Torres and a past it former Chelsea legend. Lukaku would be the obvious choice seeing as he was already at the club but he's done one. It's going to be difficult for Chelsea to attract a proper back up to Costa as long as Torres is around as it's become clear that he will be given chance after chance after chance (and miss most of them!).

3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

You realise that Torres played for Chelsea last season and Lukaku didn't because he was on loan right?
    And that Jose had told him to join our squad for the season and prove himself, but that Lukaku request to be loaned out?
    I fail to see how you can say Torres was picked ahead of Lukaku when he wasnt at the club, well of course Torres played over Lukaku! <doh>

I share your confusion as to why Torres is still at the club though, people say its because his wages are too high, but to be honest, he is just going to run his contract down.....When I saw how much money having Torres in our squad earns Chelsea Football club every year I was shocked.....
    In Spain and in Africa they absolutely love him!! Torres is still the most popular name world wide for the back of Chelsea shirts!!! Beggars belief, how quite possibly the ****test striker we have had in what, 20 years, could be loved so much. But he shifts merchandise!

Which is a ****ing piss poor reason to keep a player who you are paying 170k a week to PLAY FOOTBALL. When he doesnt do that.
    He isn't fit for purpose, and we should have taken Liverpool to court under the Trades description Act!
    Im kidding......kinda......

4. Madinat

Madinat New Member

I didn't say that. I said Torres played for Chelsea last season and was woeful and yet he's still a Chelsea player. Lukaku played for another PL team (which I mentioned in my post) and did well. The two other strikers at Chelsea who performed better than Torres last season have been moved on whereas Torres is still there which suggests that it doesn't matter what he does he gets game time. Assuming Costa is first choice he will play the majority of games. That means the understudy will get limited game time and the third choice striker (in a one up top system) will hardly feature at all. Enter Drogba who is effectively retired and can contribute as a coach as well as a squad player.

5. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Have you seen this stat - don't know if true

please log in to view this image

6. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

^ it is.

7. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

Even about the others in the list (I checked that Lukaku had scored 65 goals prior to his 21st birthday)?

If so, doesn't that answer the question in the OP?

8. Madinat

Madinat New Member

Well that's not going to go down well is it? He's been sold ergo he must be ****e!

9. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

hehe Lukaku is a great player with bags of potential to be a world class striker.
    I'm pissed we sold him when we still have Torres......
    But it is what it is.
    Lukaku didn't want to stay and earn a place in our team, and our club's accountants have fallen under a spell where they see the amount of money Torres makes us and so the bosses refuse to allow him to leave....nothing I can do about it.

10. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

Yep, you have been clear and consistent. My post was about how is he worth £28m, which is the name of the thread. Just saying his record shows it is probably fair in today's market. Many Chelsea fans suggesting that the club has done a wonder deal and he was worth a lot less. <ok>

11. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

He had 2 years left, wasn't first choice and is unproven at the highest level, we got a very good deal. So did Everton though, they've purchased a player who could go on to become one of the best strikers in the world and has proven he can play well for them before.

12. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I would say its probably fair-ish.
    Like you say, prices are inflated nowadays, especially for strikers.
    The guys that score the goals will always be worth the most moolah! (Hence Bale and Ronaldo fees)
    The guy has proven he can score goals in the PL, and more importantly, can score them with Everton, so the club know he is the right fit for them and with the potential he has, the fee doesnt appear too ridiculous at all.

When you consider that Man Utd paid the more for Luke Shaw, a left back who is 3 years younger and played half the amount of games for a lesser club, THATS insane.

13. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

You took the words right out of my mouth !! Shaws fee makes Lukaku look the bargain of the season. Will be very interested to see how many goals Lukaku scores v Costa. From where I sit, it doesnt matter who the striker plays FOR, since they all have to score AGAINST the same teams bar one. Lukaku has done that with some credit.
    I think the transfer means Chelsea 1 Everton 1. We both did well, so an honourable draw.

14. BelugaWhale

BelugaWhale Member

That would make for some shallow analysis. True we have to play against the same teams, but those teams will set themselves up differently depending on who they play - so actually it does matter who you play for and who you are playing against.

15. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

It does make a difference though CP.
    For example take Palace......Everton come to Selhurst Park, then next week Chelsea come to Selhurst Park.
    Do you think Palace will set out with the same formation and tactics in both games? No! The only team that plays the same no matter the opposition is Arsenal, which is why they get hammered against teams who have a manager with more than one brain cell and players who dont have two left feet.
    Palace will play a much tighter game against us than they will against Everton.
    Not necessarily because we are better up front but also defensively. Palace would set up to get a 0-0 against us or nick a 1-0 on the counter or from a set piece.
    Against Everton they will be bolder going forward because they figure they have more chance of scoring......

16. Matth_2014

Matth_2014 Well-Known Member

No we haven't.

17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Lukaku is a top quality player. I can't understand why you sold him and brought in old man Drogba.
    Lukaku is the new Drogba.

18. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I can understand bringing in Drogba, he is free and he can still play!
    What I cant understand is selling Lukaku and KEEPING Torres, who cost us a fortune and cannot play.....

19. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Well that as well as bringing in Drogba over Lukaku.

Mourinho has got a bit of a death wish when it comes to strikers.

20. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

Eh? Since the departure of RVP your strike force has been threadbare with Giroud being the key man! Even with a 36 year old and a useless lump included, I still prefer our strike force to yours mate.

Lukaku is also nothing like Drogba.