1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hopes for next year

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by PioneerBlueinOZ, May 10, 2011.

1. PioneerBlueinOZ

Hi Guys,

I am a new poster but have been reading all the posts during the last few years on 606. I have been a town fan all of my life and my first game was Ipswich 3 - 1 Manchester United 1 circia 1980. Now that I am living in Oz, this is the only way I get the feelings and opinions of the fans. Just wondering what people think would be a acceptable finish for next season considering that we basically have to build a new team from scratch!

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Hi Pioneer

Good to have you on board!

I'm trying to get a sticky post for people to introduce themselves...

An acceptable finish will be playing good football and making progress. I think we have to be looking for signs of improvement and a Top Ten finish for Jewell to keep his job.

3. Tractor Tim

Tractor Tim Member

My biggest hope is for a 20,000 plus crowd regularly. If this is the case, it should mean we are playing attractive football, enjoying some success and making Portman Road a pleasure to be at again. This (last season) was certainly not achieving this and the attendance levels are a direct correlation with the team's performance. A few more clean sheets would be nice too!!!

4. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

How about playing good football with a couple of creative/inventive players and someone who can score goals, or is that too much to ask for?

5. PioneerBlueinOZ

I agree 100% and am glad those on here have not gone for promotion at all costs. The Ipswich I remember and have always supported have had attacking creative players who love to play football and go forward. I also remember a loyal fan base even when results were not going our way (pretty often as a Town fan).

I would love to build a young, exciting and attacking team and see them develop into a championship winning side in the next few years, who would then progress to the premiership without having to replace them with established premier players as the quality would already be there. I am dreaming I know, but I am glad most fans have learnt from the hasty Roy Keene promotion in two years style. I think PJ needs time as long as he is making some progress, buying the right players and playing the right football. Seems like Keene put us back about 5 years, if not more! To me Ipswich were always better when we had to rely on our youth and shrewd signings rather than throwing ME's money around unwisely!

6. BedfordBlue

BedfordBlue New Member

I've been a season ticket holder for 15 years now in the NS and for me the greatest sign of improvement would be in making PR a difficult and almost impossible place for opponents to come to, just as it used to be under Joe Royle and even Super Jim.
    Our home form (results) this year has been nothing less than woeful.
    If we see good attacking football which results in goals goals goals then it will be a step in the right direction.
    Play-off contenders should be a minimum expectation. I'm not saying that will be easy but if that's not the minimum we're aiming for then what are we all doing?
    I guess a lot will depend on ME's funding in the next month or 2 but I fear that another very poor mid-table finish and ME will lose patience and stop providing funding.

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

He won't Bedford, he is worth almost a billion pounds and if Jewell is given money we will succeed.

The sticking point will be whether Clegg and Evans continue to be tightfisted, in which case we're not going anywhere.

8. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Like most of you say I think a top half finish would be acceptable, with signs of progress and a real sense that we are building something for the future. In my opinion we have high expectations for next season when we don't even have a team of players.

Like you say Oz, Keane has put us back a good few years, so it will take time. But unlike when Keane took over with a 2 year plan, which in my opinion was definately achievable with the squad and resources we had, we know don't have the squad and I fear ME has a little less patience in terms of spending his money!!

9. KingLambert01

KingLambert01 New Member

Canary in peace

Come on Town!!!!

We need an EA derby in the prem!!! Its not that hard is it!?!?!

No, In all seriousness, losing norris and mcauley is a big blow for you, although you will obv know more about your own team than I do! Who would you guys like to replace them???

I think Jewell will do well with u lot. If he can add a touch of quality to an already decent CCC team (especially in defence) then top 10 maybe play offs could be realistic....

I know there is no love lost between City and Town but I for one will be hoping you join us in the prem!!! Provided we stay there of course (which i think we will)

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Hi KingLambert

They are no great loss - they were good players but both participated in shameful performances all too often, and both leaders, leading us to what you have to ask...

The writing was on the wall as soon as Jewell joined and Norris gave a characteristically un-captainlike interview in which he was not particularly worried about the prospect of moving on when his contract was up.

We want players who want to be at Ipswich and we won't miss either of them - even if we don't sign anyone.

What hasn't changed is that Jimmy Bullard is a huge talent and that we desperately need a potent striker or two. Norris and McAuley don't come into that equation for me.

11. KingLambert01

KingLambert01 New Member

Lancs

Agree my friend, I have seen what it can do to have players who WANT to be at the club, not just for the pay packet. You need the sort of players Lambert has brought to Norwich. Im not making any comparisons, or suggesting anyone is better, but take a leaf out of Citys book. Its not about names when its comes to signings, its about passion, committment. Lambert has said many times, its all about getting players to run through walls.

I can see Jewell pulling off a few coups this summer though.

I Didnt know that about Norris, always thought he was a good player though. RE Bullard, what are the chances of you signing him?? I heard he got your P.O.T.S???

Agree you need a striker, Scotland is way off the pace!! Literally!! lol

12. Tractor Boy Steve Getting Slimmer

I would like to see us stay in the Championship and play our feathered friends in the EA Derby there...Why you ask...Well I have a few quid with a "budgie" that NCFC will not last more that one season in the Premiership...
    But on the other hand, I would like to endorse what really has been said already in the other threads.
    Bedford Blue is correct when he says that we should get PR into a fortress. In fact he is a wise fox with his wording, and I quote: Play-off contenders should be a minimum expectation. I'm not saying that will be easy but if that's not the minimum we're aiming for then what are we all doing?...
    Sadly though in opposite to what LYHLitfc said, all players these days are mercaneries when it comes to the brown pay pack on a friday. We will have to go with them, until further players come through the ranks from youth level. This is what PioneerBlueOZ said as well.

Still lets see what the new season brings. Lets keep behind the team/club and support them not knock them.

COYB

13. KingLambert01

KingLambert01 New Member

you would rather play in the CCC than in the prem????
    every derby day is good but in the prem, it would be immense!!!

14. KingLambert01

KingLambert01 New Member

if its anything like the last two anyway :)

15. Tractor Boy Steve Getting Slimmer

LOL King Lambert...Of course I want the EA Derby to be in the top flight, who in their right wouldn't!!...My first couple o flines in the earlier thread were tongue in cheek, as I paid out this year on your promotion and i want me dosh back on your relegation...Seriously though, your right it would be immense, if we could get promoted...Only time will tell either way, if it is the Premiership or Championship...Yep you got the better on the last two, but we have always had the better of you over the years...We only let you win, to stop Cardiff getting auto promotion anyway!!!...well thats my excuse

COYB