1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hoofball or Relegation Dog fight?

Discussion in 'West Ham' started by Bzzz, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Bzzz

Bzzz Active Member

What would you rather?
    We all know we would rather play "the West Ham way" but when we played that these are the results:
    2009-2010: 17th on 35 Pts
    2010-2011: 20th on 33 Pts
    The "Hoofball" tactics got us promoted and most likely will keep us safe with a 12-16th league place finish, now don't get me wrong I hate the long ball tactics but if that is the type of Football needed to play to keep us up I can accept it.
    I think we can all agree that if we try and play good football we will be lucky to avoid a Relegation dog fight (With the current sqaud) the last thing we need after coming back up the hard way is to have to do it all again.
    Ofcourse there is no easy way out, if we play the long ball stuff we could find ourselves in a dog fight but I feel we have more chance of staying up than playing good football.
    What do you guys think, would you rather we played it long or would you rather we played good stuff (I know we can) and find ourselves in a relegation battle?

2. Cockney Eyetie

We played some good stuff for the last 2 months of the season, so i reckon, no hoofball and no relegation scrap<ok>

3. Bzzz

Bzzz Active Member

I know we can but for example the reading match, we played great football for the 1st 40 mins and came in at HT 2-1 down, that is what I fear could often happen in the Premier League.

4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

We'll play when we can and hoof when we have to, Allardyces Bolton used to beat West Ham by playing it on the floor then would resort to hoofball when playing the likes of Arsenal and United. The aim of the game is to get as many points as you think you can out of a game and if you stick to the same tactics and formations you will be caught out. I'm fairly confident we will finish 13th or higher.

5. Lee263

Lee263 Well-Known Member

**** playing "the West Ham way", that ****e hasn't won us anything for decades. Let's focus on staying up at any cost.

6. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

West Ham should play the "West Ham Way" which is good attacking football (as long as you don't finish above the Swans) <ok>

7. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

What makes you think you will have a choice,it will be hoofball all the way to survival

8. Bzzz

Bzzz Active Member

Because last year, we had spells of both even when we needed results.
    The Bolton team BFS kept in the EPL for a good few years played hoofball and on the floor.

9. peter1954qpr

With big Sam you know what what you get,no surprises,when the going gets tough return to type,get it forward big man up top little man picking up the pieces.

10. Big Ern

yeah, no one seems to remember Djorkaef, Campo, Okocha, Anelka et al

11. peter1954qpr

He still went long with these players and then played from the knock downs.

12. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Hoofball or Relegation Dog fight?

_______________________________-

If Grants the answer then I think we know its option A..............................& B. ;)

13. factamondo

factamondo Well-Known Member

from what i saw of west ham on the box last season they need six maybe seven additions....apart from nolan,rob green and maybe collison they look weak in all departments...vaz te/cole wont shake up too many premier league defences and tompkins will get slaughtered ...........gonna be hard season for the hammers...fantastic fans but small time mentality owners!

14. Bzzz

Bzzz Active Member

Most of our Players have allready spent seasons in the Premier League, Hopefully a break in the Championship will have the same effect it did at Newcastle

15. Bzzz

Bzzz Active Member

+ You forgot Noble who was our best Player last season

16. factamondo

yes noble is ok-ish but over 38 tough games?????.....why a club with 35000 loyal home fans wont back that support with decent wages for top names amazes me.imho west ham should be a bigger club than the tarquins from the bridge and ive always seen them as my 'second club'!

17. Big Ern

buying big names and paying huge wages is how we got in the **** in the first place. we didn't play hoof-ball all season, some of the play was fantastic, but if you play on the floor all the time you will be unstuck sooner or later. We certainly aren't a Stoke or a Hull, but you can only play with the players you have, and quality costs money. I'm sure SA would love to have Messi and Ronaldo and play like the Brazilians of the 60's and 70's. As to the owners spending money, spend what you can afford, or do a Portsmouth? I know which I prefer.

18. Bzzz

Bzzz Active Member

We still might get some big transfers in.
    Gold and Sullivan know that if moving to the OS is going to be a good move, we need to be in the Premier League. They will invest to keep us in it.

19. factamondo

i totally agree old son.....i just see west ham as potentially bigger than the tarquins from the bridge and at least the equal of spuds if proper investment on the playing side was made!

20. Murdoc

Murdoc Well-Known Member

If you've got a tall side, there's no harm in playing the 'hoofball'. It worked, you went up.

I went to Upton Park for the last game of the Season and we have a team of ****ing oompa lumpa's and West Ham exploited that through intricate passes from midfield up to people like Cole and Vaz Te.

Maybe you should have some smaller attackers to just allow Big Sam to mix it up if needs be.

I reckon West Ham will stay up this year.