1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hogmanay

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by cumbrianmackem, Dec 31, 2016.

1. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Just sat watching Robbie Williams strutting his stuff on BBC 1 as we see out the end of 2016 and it got me thinking.

How many on here are old enough to remember the BBCs efforts from years ago which were entitled the 'Hogmanay Show' which was screened live usually from Glasgow.

Tradition would have it that most of the entertainment were Scots. Ranging from Jimmy Shand and his band, backing up the singing of Andy Stewart.

By midnight the vast majority of those taking part were pissed and the actual entertainment value was slowly going down the pan. This was THE entertainment for several years in the sixties and thinking back it was so bad I dont know how it lasted as long as it did.

Anyway Robbie is belting it out loud and proud so I wish you all the best and look forward to a healthy and happy New Year for you all, the football can only get better...can't it?

Nostalgic likes this.
  2. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Andy stewart was ok, but like Jooles Holland nowadays when I am pissed like now mate.

3. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Certainly different times. Sunday bus service from 6PM , Pubs closed at half ten everybody home for something to eat and wait for the midnight church bells, or as you say Big Ben on the telly, traditional first foot, then the new year started. Went to bed at 7AM many a time after wandering from one house to another. Could go anywhere there was a light on, no violence, night clubs etc. Now we live in more enlightened times, but this has made me live up to my name.

4. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

I bet Glasgow was lively last night.
    Old Firm day on New Years Eve. <doh>