1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Highs and Lows the FFC season

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by GeraScores, May 23, 2011.

1. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

I was reflecting on the good and the bad for this season, and would welcome the views of others, especially on the highs since I’m missing a few.

Highs
    Baird’s brace at Stoke – totally unexpected.
    Dempsey also getting a brace at home against Stoke.
    Every time Brede scored, especially against ManU to (making amends for his own goal).
    Duff silencing the Geordies with his goal.
    4-0 over Spurs (partly making up for last year, but not quite).
    Bobby’s return to Craven Cottage.
    Going to Sunderland and getting the bonus of a 3-0 win.

Lows
    3 unexpectedly poor defeats against West Ham, ManCity and Liverpool.
    Going out of the FA Cup to Bolton, when we could have gone on.
    Injuries, especially to Zamora.
    My man Gera being getting a red card (for trying just too hard) on the last day.

Enjoy the holidays

2. frogman27

frogman27 Member

Great post Gera. For me the game against Spurs in the FA Cup was the best highlight. The scoreline was well deserved but the way we played in that game was some of the best football I have seen this season.

The lowest point for me was sitting in the pub in Newhaven with my son eagerly waiting for the West Ham game and then having to watch some of the worst football I have ever seen Fulham play. It was made even worse by the fact that we were sat next to a West Ham fan who could not believe that there was a team worse that his. Getting turned over by Man City 1 - 4 at the Cottage was a bit rough as well, although Tevez was immense that day.

Fulham aside, this has been one of the best premier league seasons ever. Everyone assumes that the " top 4 " have not performed as well but for me most teams outside of the top 4 have greatly improved their games. There have truly been no " easy " games this season. Long may it continue, and please, please can we start the the season as we have finished this one.

COYW

3. RobespierreFFC

While we were very disappointing against man city and liverpool, we were taken apart by some superb performances from inspired individuals such as tevez, yaya toure, suarez and maxi rodriguez, which sometimes you just have to sit and admire. For me, the undisputed low point was the west ham game. I spent a lot of time persuading my mum to allow me the day away from the extended family festivities to go to this game, not to mention the fact that it was a grade A game which is scandalous for a side of west ham's standard. It is rare when I watch fulham that I feel genuinely let down, but this was a clear example. Other notable low points were zamora's injury, gera's red card yesterday and the unveiling of that shoddy statue outside craven cottage.

Personal high point for me was birmingham away as that is the first time I've seen us win away. People are right to mention the spurs game and bairdinho's brace against stoke, but how about zamora's last minute penalty against blackburn? Great way to mark a comeback, as well as his 2 goals against blackpool in his first start back. What a hero that man is!

4. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

The Low: For me the loss to West Ham was the most worrisome thing I saw all year. FA cup loss to Bolton and Gera's red card.

The High: Consecutive away wins against Sunderland and Birmingham.

The Gooey Middle: As our form began to pick up in February.

5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

A low point and a personal high point in the same match - Wolves at home. The low is obvious: Bobby's injury, which defined at least the first half of our season. The high point was that it was the first time my eldest had actually seen Fulham win (all his previous games had ended in draws), and watching Match of the Day that night, he was clearly visible in the crowd, when they showed Hammersmith End fans clapping Bobby as he was stretchered off. We managed to get a screen shot from iPlayer and print it off - he took it in to school to prove to his mates that he had been on Match of the Day. They were impressed.

6. WhatDoesWoyWant?

High points:

Beating Spurs 4-0
    David Stockdale Showing how reliable he was as a back-up keeper
    Bobby Coming back against Bolton in the FA cup as a sub - Craven Cottage erupted

Low Points:

Losing 1-0 against Bolton in the F.A cup - (this was my Son's first game)
    Bobby Breaking his leg

Undecided point:

Not knowing if Gera's red card on sunday could have an effect on the Europa League

7. Penguin

Penguin Member

I agree with what everyone else has says but here are some more from me:

Highs

1. Clint's impressive goal tally. Very good for a midfielder (even if he did play as a striker some of the time)
    2. Whilst we're on the subject, the fact that nearly the whole team contributed one or more goals this season. 8th place really was a team effort
    3. The new signings (on the whole). Especially Dembele and Sidwell
    4. The revelation which was Jonathan Greening in the last 2 games - hope he starts next season the way he finished this one

Lows

1. Clint missing the penalty against Chelsea (although the draw was still a good result and in the end the extra 2 points wouldn't have made a difference)
    2. Losing to Stoke in the League cup. Not a disaster but disappointing at the time

8. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

Penguin (welcome, by the way), I'd conveniently forgotten about losing to Stoke in the Carling, but I know what you mean - Going out to Bolton was not good. However, the 6 points and braces respectively from Demps & Baird made up for Stoke.

9. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Highs:

Every away win. Seriously.
    Tonking Spurs

Lows:

The battering from Citeh and Liverpool
    Being 18th at Christmas having just lost to West Ham

10. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Highs for me 1) Beating Spurs 2) Bobby's return to form 3) Hughes getting the team playing from New Year onwards

Lows) 1) Clint's penalty miss 2) Losing to West Ham 3) The 0-0 draw with Sunderland. The only home match I could get to this year and it was utter Cack.

11. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

I think we all have similar lows and highs so apologise for the repeats - for me the season started off with the low of Zamora's injury and then the loss to West Ham. If I remember we started so well against West Ham and then it all went drastically wrong quite quickly and was a huge disappoinment.

A high was at the last minute I decided to take my chances and drove, without a ticket, to Stoke to witness Baird's fantastic two goals and a rare away victory. I was impressed also that the Fulham players threw their shirts into the crowd at the end of the game and a number of young fans near me were over the moon with a great CHristmas present.

A great high was the emphatic win over Spurs and seeing a friend of mine who is a Spurs fan in the Fulham end, 10 rows in front of me, politely applauding each of our goals. I was brought down to earth by another low point in the poor performance we showed in the next round against Bolton.

The Liverpool home game is also one I'm trying to erase from my memory.

but to end the thread on a high ... Stockdale's performances have been great to witness and I have to say the banter at the Chelsea away game was something I'll remember for a while.

Let's hope we start next season as well as we have finished !

12. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

West Ham has to be the low point for me. I'm man enough to admit that I wanted Hughes out at that point. We had been unlucky in the sense that we were 1-0 up and in total control until Etuhu's moment of madness gave them a way back in. The fact that I can't stand Spam and that their win dragged us further into the relegation mess just made things worse. Oh, and I think Can't Control is also overhyped beyond belief.

The high point? There are quite a few. The signing of Sidwell, Dempsey's scoring form, our improved away record etc.

13. rocky57

rocky57 Member

"I think Can't Control is also overhyped beyond belief."

Sorry that's gone straight over my low forehead! :huh:

14. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I think he means Carlton Cole <laugh>

15. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Haha yes I do, thanks for that Bidley.