1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hessy Should Be Sacked

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by Lenny38, May 17, 2011.

1. Lenny38

Lenny38 Member

Firstly, as you may have guessed I'm not a Hessy fan. I think with one of the strongest and largest squads in Division 2, to not even make the play offs its absolutely pathetic. Even the much maligned Stimson managed to get us up in his first season with a smaller and weaker squad. Are we really going to attract higher calibre players with our manager that has only been successful managing at non league level?

To be fair he put his balls on the shovel at the start of the season and stated anything but promotion should be seen as a failure. However, he lost me when we didn't get promoted and apparently the season shouldn't been seen as a failure???

Anyway I'm expecting a lot of flack from all you Hessy fans who seem him as some sort of messiah so sock it to me!!!

2. Gills_Steve

Gills_Steve Active Member

A stronger squad????

Let's have a look at that claim: 1st eleven 08-09 vs. 1st eleven 10-11

Royce vs. Julian - Royce was clearly better

Fuller vs. Fuller - Fuller played significantly better in 08-09
    Richards vs. Richards
    King vs. Lawrence - Lawrence was good this season, but King in 08-09 was far, far better
    Nutter vs Nutter

Oli vs. Palmer/Spiller/Bentley - about equal, perhaps
    Weston vs. Weston - but Weston was injured for much of this season
    Miller vs. Maher - V. different players, so hard to compare
    Barcham vs. Barcham - Barcho has been injuered for much of this season, so he was much more effective in 08-09

McCammon vs. Akinfenwa - Bayo is by far the better player, of course
    Jackson vs. McDonald - About the same at Lg 2 level

So 5-1 to 08-09. "We had a stronger squad this season" my arse!

3. Lord Sondes Clock

Lord Sondes Clock Active Member

Lenny - in response to your two observations about last season's squad, one (largest) is based on an absoulte value and is therefore quantifiable but the other (strongest) is based on subjective opinion and individuals will therefore have different views. Over 46 matches, I would agree that our squad was stronger than the 16 teams finishing below us, but not as strong as the 7 above us. The retained list, particularly the disposal of both goalkeepers and a fistful of defenders, supports the view that we by no means had the strongest squad.

In Hess We Trust.

4. brb

brb Guest

Lenny - welcome over to not606, good to see you are posting your alternative views and nothing wrong in it, I'm sure you will get the reaction you so hope for <ok>

No flack, just I think your wrong, Hessy should be given at least another season, albeit he must build another stronger but smaller team.

About your point of him putting his balls on the shovel, I can't remember is exact words but I take you at your memory of them that anything but promotion is a failure.
    Then he failed, he will hopefully learn from that failure and improve on it next season with success.

Next in line...

5. Lenny38

Lenny38 Member

BRB - I agree its good to have alternative views, these forums would be very dull if we all sucked up to Hessy all the time!! I just don't think he will cut the mustard. I'm sure he will be given another season, he will buy a few non league players and we will have another mediocre season and we will have the same conversation next May.

6. BlueAndWhiteArmy

BlueAndWhiteArmy New Member

Yeah i think that it was certainly a sign of intent from Hessy, shows the players that last year wasnt acceptable and he wants to move onwards and upwards. Will be interesting to see what happens regarding the 5 players offered new contracts, seems they have been offered lower contracts than last year, could be a good idea to include win and promotion bonuses to encourage them to sign and to better their performances from this year.

7. thegillsfan

thegillsfan Member

I know for a fact Hessy was not happy with the squad he inherited and look at the players he did bring in! With two of them (Cody, Lawrence & Bayo) Being 1st, 2nd and 3rd player of the year. Imagine if he finds a whole squad of players that effective for the start of next season!

Lenny, if we are struggling at christmas then i think you can write another article about him being sacked then. Until then give him a chance.

UTG!!

8. The Shouting Man

The Shouting Man Active Member

I do remember Hessy saying that anything less than promotion would be a failure... But we only just missed out on a play off spot... And Hessy has realised that the defence he inherited was poor (maybe if fuller's contract was up then he may have been shown the door as well).

So we have to see what he does in the summer (free?) transfer market and judge from then.

I trust Nutter, Julien etc will now be joining Stimson at whichever non league club he'll be at next season.

9. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

2 of the most successful teams, ManU and Arsenal.
    2 underachievers, Charlton and Westham.

Which teams change their managers more times than their pants ??

10. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

I do not think we should sack him.

11. GeminiSwiftgfc

GeminiSwiftgfc Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lenny heard very little from you since about October. Always nice to have your cheery positive attitude. Once again though I find myself asking the same questions when it comes to your posting. What is your alternative? Who would you like to see as manager?

12. Gills_Steve

Gills_Steve Active Member

Good point, thegillsfan.

Cody, Bayo and Lawrence were all inspired Hess signings (let's not think too much about Sinclair and Stefan Payne)

More of the same please!

13. jokeykid(606)

jokeykid(606) Member

think thats a bit harsh on payne as he's young and was brought in as a cumbers etc replacement and from what i saw he was significantly better than cumbers. as for hessy i honestly dont think we can afford to let him go, by the sounds of it he's going to be working on a shoe string this season anyways so if we replace him it wont be either with someone with a track record as they will want money or if we do bring in an expensive manager he would have no money to use.