1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hereford post mortem

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by pirate49, Aug 28, 2011.

1. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well at least we got a point. I didn't think we were as bad as some around me did.
    I reckon the midweek game against Watford took a lot out of some players. 120 minutes then the tension of penalties took their toll. We were unable to maintain the 'intensity' of previous performances.
    I wish Buckle had not blamed the pitch as much as he seems to have done. I'm sure the groundsman will give him a cheery wave next time they meet ! It looks great. If anything the grass is a bit lush, but then the rugby season starts soon.
    Zebroski is out of form, and Carayol deserves a start. Virgo was also out of sorts. Stanley didn't look too chuffed when taken off for Campbell, who got a rousing reception.
    The fans didn't like Kuffour being taken off, but McGleish is best up front. I'd start with Harrold and McGleish up front; and Kuffour and Carayol RM and LM.
    We've got cover for most positions, but no obvious replacement for Harrold. We'd either go back to two shorties up front or put Anyinsah/Zebroski/Carayol up there.
    I overheard a good comment from a fan as I walked to the car. "I hope Buckle doesn't believe his own publicity."
    Not being a front runner this early in the season could bring benefits. At the moment teams are pulling out all the stops against us. If we can stay in touch we may be able to play with freedom.
    I'm still optimistic but not taking anything for granted.

2. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Zebroski looks out of sorts on the wing. He's definitely more of a striker than a winger. I reckon he'll get a run leading the forward line if and when Harrold gets injured or suspended, and I think we'll see a different player because he's a proven goalscorer at this level.

Kuffour is definitely more effective running from deep rather than he is holding the ball up. But he was playing at about 70% compared with the Watford game. Carayol looked visibly shocked at the crowd's reaction when he came on. Caryol's definitely earned his place in the starting line up.

To be honest, I think Hereford did quite a good job on us and got what they came for.

Buckle clearly wants a passing and moving approach at pace. It didn't quite come off against Hereford, but at times we outplayed Watford. So I think these players will persevere with the way Buckle wants to play and will come good at the right time.

I think the early signs are very good, and even with injuries and suspensions we've got good players who can come in and do a good job at this level.

After the Watford game, I was thinking "bring on Crawley"! No games are going to be easy, but from what I've seen think we've got a really good chance of going straight back up in a pretty tough league.

3. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

i think the gas are about to come into money. i hear arsene wenger is looking for 36 new players in less than 3 days. i understand matty h may be visiting the emirates tomorrow, he will have the job of leading the arsenal back to great things. this may be a long term job. good luck matty h

4. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

I was expecting a tight game tbh and predicted a 1-0 win. I suppose if our league position keeps us under the radar for the time being that`s fine but we really should be winning our home games against the likes of Hereford. Left the Mem feeling a bit pissed off but that goes with the territory. Would like to see McGleish and MH up front from the start and JK playing behind the front 2 making late runs. 4-3-1-2 that or JK coming in from out wide is the combo for me. I`m hoping we`ll open up and go for broke against Orient, nothing to lose imo.

Crawley next weekend will be a good barometer of our progress.