1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Henry leaves Arsenal after Wenger ultimatum

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Jul 12, 2016.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

David Ornstein

BBC Sport

Thierry Henry has left Arsenal after being told by manager Arsene Wenger he could not combine a coaching role with punditry work for Sky Sports..

The club's all-time record goalscorer spent last season working with their young players as part of his Uefa A Licence course.

To complete the course, Henry now has to coach a team.

Wenger offered him the chance to work alongside Kwame Ampadu with the Under-18s but Henry, who worked for the BBC at Euro 2016, was not prepared to drop his Sky role.

Wenger had told him he could not be a club coach while criticising Arsenal players on TV.

Former Arsenal captain Tony Adams is lined up to take the role.

2. NLDISRED

NLDISRED Active Member

Wenger was right to take the offer back being a coach is a full time job and if he's not prepared to be full time he simply doesn't meet the requirements needed.I just hope he doesn't end up coaching at Chelsea as he will probably want to stay in london

3. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Not often I agree with Wenger, but he's done the right thing on this.

If you want to go into management/coaching, you need to give it 100% dedication and focus. If someone offers you a full-time job, it's not unreasonable for them to ask you to leave your current job.

Thierry Henry has chosen his £4m salary at Sky over his supposed 'love' for coaching/managing Arsenal. Which is his prerogative of course, but he can't pretend like he truly cares about the club if he's made this decision. Let's be honest, it's not like he would have been paid a pittance at Arsenal and he's rich enough as it is.

lazarus20000 and PINKIE like this.
  4. Smirnoffpriest

Smirnoffpriest Well-Known Member

I agree with Wenger on this - no way you can work with players and demand their respect in a coaching position while at the same time publicly criticising the senior players at the club.

But tbh I don't think Henry really wants to go down the difficult route of becoming a manager, I think he realises how full on it is and how difficult it will be, with constant criticism. I personally think he'll much rather be a pundit as it's a far easier job.

lazarus20000 and PINKIE like this.
  5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agree 100% with Wenger on this.

If only they would do the same thing for Politicians. You're an MP or a company director / paid consultant / CEO / etc.

6. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Much more concerned with the news that we are prepared to start the season with chuba akpom as our only fit striker...

7. lazarus20000

Politicians working for their subjects, that's a novel idea. Glad to hear that Corbyn got on the ballot paper after the backstabbers tried their hardest to chuck him in the river with concrete boots. You can imagine the gritted teeth from Angela Eagle after she that she was happy to go up against him.

PINKIE and Smirnoffpriest like this.
  8. Smirnoffpriest

Smirnoffpriest Well-Known Member

Are giroud and theo injured?

9. lazarus20000

Not forgetting Welbeck....But would be good to pick up a decisive CF this transfer window!

10. EmirAleks

EmirAleks Well-Known Member

Henry was one of the best players in the history of EPL, but he is one of the worst TV pundits I have ever seen. And I think as a manager he would be a disaster.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Tend to agree, I've not seen much about his analysis that really cuts the mustard. Supreme players often don't actually make very good managers.

12. lazarus20000

Maradona was one such example. Who is he managing now?