1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Henderson and Anton

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Steeley89, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Steeley89

Steeley89 Member

Personally I can understand why a few of us feel that these lads played poorly today (and elmo possibly too) but from what I see Hendo's job was to man mark Lampard. Lampard is so experienced he just popped in and out of the game while taking Henderson out of it (personally didnt feel as though he was AS much of a threat compared to Anelka et al.). This obviously ran poor Jordan ragged and without any other out and out CMs on the pitch we were pretty screwed against that midfield.

My defence for Anton is that he was man marking Drogba most of the match. Bramble did the cleaning up while he took on Drogs. Now again Drogba was arguably Chelsea's worst player today, which is suggestive that Anton did a half decent job on that front. I read on one article someone say Drogba was brilliant today? Errrrr... he wasn't bad but for his standards defo NOT brilliant.

Also i must say, completely agree about the ref (should be shot) and Terry is a despicable human cheat, sorry i mean being. For all their brilliance their lack of sportsmanship did spoil them.

2. Do the Asamoah Dance

Thing is, even if that was his job, he did it so poorly that he was a waste of a SAFC shirt last night.

Agree with what you said about Anton mind.

3. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

lol, who would you play instead of Henderson to man mark Lampard? Cook? Colback? Reed?

Lampard is a player who any midfielder would struggle to mark, never mind a 20 year old lad learning his trade.

Ferdinand is good 99% of the time, but that 1% lets him down against top teams. Mensah would of done a better job imo.

4. trevmacksw

trevmacksw Member

lack of a ball winner in midfield next to hendo against a team like chelsea was always gunna make us struggle along with the high balls to gyan against terry did not help,and wont against stoke ,dont think anton was that bad to be honest gordens rush of blood to the head dident help like

5. BishopSAFC

BishopSAFC Active Member

I do not think we played poorly last night just thought chelsea played well,henderson looked out of his depth,mainly due to that we did not have a ball winner,henderson cannot tackle to save his life.
    Once cattermole is back it will leave henderson to play his natural game,wide right.
    He is not a play maker,you could see this by his passing,it was either sideways, but mainly backwards.
    Until we get a stricker in the mould of kevin davies we need to keep the ball to feet as trevmacksw states stoke and teams in that ilk will win the ball everytime in the air.

6. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Granted, Henderson did have a poor game, but some of the negative comments about the young lad are way out of order...

7. BishopSAFC

BishopSAFC Active Member

It's not being negative it's a fact,i like the lad he can only get better with age and experience.

8. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

I thought Drogba was class, scored one goal and created space for the likesof Anelka and Lampard, he held the ball up, led the line and gave nothing away. Henderson looked out of his depth, he did not put his stamp on the game and gave their midfield far too much time and space. I feel a bit sorry for the lad as it's not his natural position, the sooner catts and munt are in the side the better. Anton and Bramble did well but the lack if protection in front of them was their undoing.

It's got to be a first choice 11 against Stoke, it's also got to be players that can match them physically.

With that in mind:

Gordon
    Onouha Bramble Mensha Bardo
    Hendo Catts Munt
    Sess Gyan Ricco

433 going forward 451 defending. Harsh on steed and Anton but it's a must win game and it's going to be a real tough one.

9. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

I think Henderson has one massive problem and its one IMO Sunderland fans must get a grip of, all the reports of 20 mil bids.

I know I, and I think some of you, have listened to the hype about how good Hendo is, seen he is a 20 mil player and then, regardless of what we value him at, keep expecting a 20 mil performance out of the lad. He is still very young and very raw with a 20 mil potential. At Man U, Man City, Chelsea or Arsenal he would not play every game because they have the squads to allow him to grow. With us he is a star so is there every game and exposed. With Sess and Muntari now with us we at last have good option, world class options so maybe he can be rotated, rested and the heat taken off him.

10. mmickey1

mmickey1 Member

Henderson's problem is he doedn't have the physique for a CM.

Once Muntari becomes available he should be back out on the right

11. InBruceWeTrusted

"thought Drogba was class, scored one goal and created space for the likesof Anelka and Lampard"

He didnt score lostinvegas ha

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Member

Bulls Eye Syd

13. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

He doesn't have that physique yet....

14. safc till i die

one man on the bench to man mark lampard last night john mensah he has the pace and strenght to stifle any body.