1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Health v football

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Horsham TomSAFC, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Horsham TomSAFC

Horsham TomSAFC Active Member

Since I was diagnosed with a progressive lung disease two years ago,my interest in football declined for obvious reasons.
    I have spent many hours at various hospital appointments throughout this time
    More recently, during this last six months I have been going through phases of specific tests for lung transplant assessment at Harefield hospital in Middlesex.
    I eventually got to the final stage this week with a two day stay in Harefield.This has resulted in a positive result for me in that ALL test results were good and the transplant surgeons and consultants have deemed me to be a good candidate for lung transplant.
    To this end they were pleased to inform me that I have been placed on the active wait list for lung transplant.
    Whilst this has been a large hurdle to negotiate,I am very much aware that there is still a long way to go and anything can still happen
    I have remained positive throughout and will continue to be so and hope for a positive outcome.

I still retain some interest in football in general and SAFC in particular but my focus is a million miles from this.
    The whole situation has stood to remind me that life is certainly more important than football.
    Sorry if I have bored anyone with this post but just feel as a regular poster over the last 4/5 years (well not quite that regular),I consider this forum as part of an extended friends group (even though I have never met any of you ).I do still read ALL posts and threads even if I do not always join in.
    I would finally add that this is a genuine sharing of my situation and not to get any sympathy votes
    thank you for reading

2. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

hope it all works out well for you mate all the best

3. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

All the best mate :emoticon-0148-yes:

Another stark reminder which puts the game into context.

4. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Hope it all go's well for you mate.
    Is it due to pit work?
    My granda died of that.
    Mind you, he did smoke 40 Woodbines a day.
    Poor **** was on oxygen, lungs were ****ed.

5. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I wish you all the best in regaining yourself back to good health.

I've realised these last couple of years that there's much more important things in life. I used to be football crazy and couldn't go a day without being fully immersed into it. Now I prioritise just about everything before it and see it more of a passing hobby than a real passion. I didn't bother going to the game last night or watching it, there's nothing wrong with me, just cracked on with something else instead.

6. Horsham TomSAFC

Billy
    what I was diagnosed with (Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis),the first word basically means unknown cause ,even after years of research they don't know how it comes about (it is a very rare decease).It is not genetic and they have not been able to pinpoint what causes it.Heavy smokers get something called COPD which can in turn become Emphysema.Then there are other lung deceases such as pneumonia,Asbestosis,Bakers lung to name but a few.Overall they know what causes most of these,however with mine the cause is unknown,therefore no known cure.They used to treat it with steroids but over the last few years they developed a drug which blocks signals from the brain to help slow down the progression of the decease.
    Obviously your grand dad must have had a version of Bakers lung,in his case years of breathing coal dust instead of flour dust particles.In years to come builders will develop an MDF related illness but probably to a much less level due to compulsory wearing of masks and safety equipment whilst cutting the stuff..

Enough of my ramblings as I must have bored you enough

Billy Death likes this.
  7. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Best wishes to you Tom. Hope all goes well.

8. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Not bored me at all mate, all very interesting.
    Like I say I hope it all go's well for you.
    My dad died of lung cancer but it never stopped me smoking.
    One thing I wish I'd never started.
    In my granda's case, I guess it was a combination of pit work & smoking.
    The bloke was in his 80's when he died but even after all those years of being retired he still coughed up jet black phlegm.
    Lungs still full of coal dust.
    Best of luck mate, let us know how it go's.

9. Horsham TomSAFC

Thank you somb your best wishes are gratefully accepted

10. Horsham TomSAFC

Billy, I was in my early twenties when I was what you would call a social smoker,ie if out with a group who all smoked then I would have a fag.Probably smoked less than twenty a week.
    Have not smoked for almost forty years now.But then this decease cannot even be linked with smoking!!!!
    I will keep everyone updated

Billy Death likes this.

11. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Good luck mate hope all goes well

12. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Best wishes to you mate. I hope everything goes well for you and you see better days ahead.

13. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Not bored us at all mate. It's good you feel comfortable sharing. Best wishes to you and hope all goes well.

14. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

All the very best to you mate.

15. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

All the best to you fella, hope this happens for you sooner the better. Mind if I ask you some questions? Will you be getting two lungs or one? Will the donor be deceased or could it come from a living donor? If you get two lungs do they have to be from the same person or could you have a lung from two different people?

16. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

All the very best Tom, life is very precious.....I have just lost a very good friend over here in Abu Dhabi aged only 51..It reminds me to live for the day, no time for lies and bulls4it. Surround yourself with positive people and pray for a good outcome. My prayers are with you mate,

17. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Good luck for the future mate hope your op is sooner rather than later and you get a pair from somebody like Usain Bolt. <ok>

18. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

All the best, hope all goes well. We are again reminded that football isn't always that important, and that sometimes we should question why the hell we are moaning if we're fortunate not to have anything to moan about. Please post anytime you feel like sharing, there are some good shoulders you can lean on amongst the lads on here

19. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

All the best Tom. Fingers crossed on many more happy years for you.

20. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing Tom. I hope you get your transplant soon, and enjoy many more good years.

Hopefully SAFC add to the enjoyment, rather than detract from it!