1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Have we got what it takes 2011/12?

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, May 20, 2011.

1. brb

brb Guest

Just before the start of last season, I posted this thread on BBC606...

Have we got what it takes ?
    League Two Gillingham
    by brb (U14356671) 28 July 2010

I'm afraid in my opinion the answer is currently NO we don't, for the autos anyway. Sorry but I've got to say as I see it:

It was reported over 2 months ago reference Paul Scally...
    "He buys into the package that anything less than promotion is failure," Scally told BBC Radio Kent.

So despite our massive failings against Wycombe in our last away game of the season, what has really changed from that team ?
    Cody in for Jackson, Miller's gone (not a loss to some), we have lost Howes strength and commitment and...?

Ok some newbies have come in but I feel we are still lacking that extra bit of quality that is needed, King is still out until I guess at least Christmas, Oli is going to be out for 4 - 6 weeks. Although on a positive note someone who does not get enough mention on our board is Andy Barcham, now if our dreaded injury list included him we might as well pack our bags ready for the Blue Square League - LOL

Joking apart I'm afraid I have to be realistic, I'm not saying we won't hold our own in L2 but auto promotion is not going to happen with our current situation.

Is Paul Scally playing a waiting game, maybe but I just hope it is not at a bigger cost, or does he believe this current squad is good enough if so I really hope he proves me wrong!

So here we are another season on...
    What's changed?
    Well we've now lost Cody, from where he whence came!

The positive note in those comments from last season, were that we still had Barcham, well not for the 2011/12 season.

Add to that last season's addition of Bayo, who is still undecided.

So what is going on?

Yeah ok, maybe now I'm just getting a little impatient but it's starting to feel like a case of deja vu.

So I'll repeat those enduring words, I just hope it is not at a bigger cost.

Views...

2. Kedwell's Penalty Coach

I think it's far too early to say. I think once Hess bring some players in and they've had a bit of pre-season under their belt we will have a clearer picture.

The better thing now than this time last year is that we have released the likes of Julian, Nutter, Gowling and McCammon. Players who most of their time last season did not offer anything. There's a video on youtube of our highlights for this season and was surprised to see McCammon playing away at Bury. I'm fairly sure that's his only appearance in the last two seasons.

This coming season will be clearer in terms of how Hessy approaches games as this will now be his squad that he will be working with. But I think we'll be one of the favourites as apart from Swindon, I can't see any of the relegated teams doing well enough to be automatic promotion contenders and I can see Crawley and AFC Wimbledon/Luton doing what Stevenage have done this year with the momentum that they will have. The top 3 next season will be decided on who are the most consistent which we weren't with the back line that we had; winning at Lincoln and Rotherham and then losing at home to Barnet and Macclesfield just said it all really.

3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I think it's early to give a valid opinion, as it stands we are relegation fodder without new signings, Give it another month and see what new faces we have and then it might be possible to get an idea.
    As for the rest of league 2 I think the 3 failed playoff teams will be up there again along with Rotherham, Port Vale, Crewe, Southend.

4. Carras_Prodigy

unless we can keep hold of bayo, bring in someone to replace barcham, and cody, as well as a new goalkeeper, left back (unless hess puts jackman back there again) and centre back, i cannot see us challenging again next year. obviously we will have to wait until the season starts to see how the squad has shaped up.
    as for people i think will do well... i think torquay, rotherham and stevenage could be in playoffs again, but i cant really see any other team who might be up there, unless adams can revive vale or accrington can retain every single one of their players (and continue overachieving next year)

5. brb

brb Guest

I agree with everyone when they say it is to early and obviously it depends on who we bring in <ok>

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is with the cut in budget, will we still be able to bring in the quality of Cody & Barcham?

Well we have off loaded a few, so that will make more resources available, ie totally agree with quality not quantity.

Although I would ask are any budget savings being put straight back in to player resource, or are they being used to control the clubs debts?

If it was my club probably both, I just hope we are not budgeting for maintaining position in League Two rather than challenging for auto's.

6. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Still early to judge if we can mount a challange for promotion as we have signed no one but i think this season will be even harder with Plymouth and Swindon coming down and Crawley and either Luton or Wombles coming up also the biggest club Bradford have got to be better. At the moment we have no goalie no wingers and no strikers so realistly we will struggle.

7. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

I think it is a bit early to say anything, but I have to say my answer is always yes, We can do it, Top.