1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Have saints gone into limbo awaiting take over at end of season?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beddy, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

It could be just me but I get a distink feeling that Saints are reluctant to do anything, IE spend money if they are going to sell to someone at the end of season. I hope to heck I'm wrong but I have this feeling in my water and I can't seem to shake it.
    Apart from the odd newspaper we have been linked with very few players, certainly nothing we can get our teeth into. I know Saints don't advertise what they are doing and nor should they.
    However it is no secret that we are definitely very goal shy.
    My source is telling me that the atmosphere at St Mary's has definitely changed especially in the changing room, as well as amongst the coaches and the staff.
    I have heard the rumours of unrest but surely that is not surprising after the resent run of defeats?
    Even the board seem to be in disarray although that is just my source's thoughts.
    Am I barking up the wrong tree, have I got this completely wrong?

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

You might be right, but I think January 30th or 31st is probably the time to discuss that rather than January 5th. No point spiralling until it's time to spiral.

It would seem all is not rosy in the Southampton garden, but that's a good thing right? I would hope that there's not too much back slapping going on after the recent run and a few feathers are being ruffled. A test of the overall management of the club.

3. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

distink

Archers Road likes this.
  4. Beddy

It is the atmosphere around St Mary's that is troubling my friend. He is usually an astute person but I hope you are right. Even if Saints were to go out and buy someone it is only likely to be a stop gap.....We will have to see, I just feel that a lot of people seem to be treading on us at the moment. something we need to correct and soon. Just my opinion for what it is worth...........

5. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

Maybe not the right tree, but probably in the right wooded enclosure.

I think, not so deep down, that "the club" were probably slightly disappointed that the last two seasons have been so good. It has set the bar & expectations very high, when heart on heart, the club is all set up to be not much more than a treading water mid-table Prem side.

As a business model, that is the IDEAL scenario for a Prem team to be. Bring in the maximum amount of TV money, but spend as little as you can to stay up. That should mean huge profits. Where those profits actually then go... is a whole different ball game. That's whats attracting foreign owners, not the glamour, not the sport, just the massive profits to be made now. As I've said before on here, how those profits are treated from a tax purpose, will be interesting. But I imagine that money will be filtering OUT of clubs and OUT of the country (not just at Saints).

Saints spend very little on St Mary's. Only had to witness the plumbing disaster in the Itchen Stand the other week to realise the stadium is not that well maintained. The much hyped Saints in the Community is run on a shoe-string, when it can (and should) be doing so much more in the local area. Many other areas of the club, I am told, have to go cap in hand after budgets were CUT this season. Why cut budgets when TV income has almost doubled & and we still receive in way more in transfer fees than we spend out??

Yes, something is a bit "off" at the club right now. Yes, Liebherr is actively trying to sell it. She has been for over a year.

So, Limbo, is probably right.

6. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Funny how there's always rumours of 'problems in the dressing room' when the fans want to have a moan.

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  7. Beddy

Thats a fair point....but these rumours were around before the run of recent losses. In local circles they were being talked about as far back as Mid October I understand. So very little coming out of the board room for support of the players or the manager......

8. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

That's all your opinion though, not fact. I do think the club will be sold soon enough though, which is why I very much doubt we will spend much/anything this month.

9. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

Well, of course it's my opinion. But, an informed one.

10. tiggermaster

tiggermaster Well-Known Member

Your ability to turn any given Saints situation into a positive is wondrous!! Oh what a beautiful morning, Oh what a wonderful day, We got beaten by 3 goals again, everything's going our way..

Lovelocum likes this.

11. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

The question that keeps bugging me is, when did Saints fans become such a spineless bunch, going to pieces at the first sign of adversity? Has there always been this childish sense of entitlement that leads us to demand success on the pitch as if it were a human right?

12. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Ah we may have been beaten by 3 goals, but at least we weren't 2-0 up with 20 to go and they beat us. That would have been demoralising ;)

13. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Isn't it more about seeing a foundation maintained? Felt to me that there were many good things going on at saints. League standings but one. Seems like it's gone off track a bit....

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

My brain switches back and forwards like a roller coaster. I want a positive message from the club, but would that make it see like a real problem rather than a blip....perhaps the board isn't panicking. After all, Koeman said during his 'blip' that the board were calmer than he was. The players are unhappy....but they should be...are they looking for a scapegoat....has Puel lost the dressing room. You could go on and on in ever decreasing circles.

Should we read too much into budget cuts...happens in all businesses. A bit of book balancing...our Finance Director mentioned the need to clear the debt to Katharina as a business shouldn't be left exposed. (?) It isn't as if all plans have been abandoned. The club have seen our strength as a training facility....hence the American links. They have planned a big youth competition in the summer and have expanded into women's football. Neither is without cost.

Are the club happy to drift along in the middle of the table this season? Do they then mean to invest in the summer...are plans in place? They have to be careful....this is the last chance to buy before May. We are 9 points (+GD) above 18th....does that worry them? Do you buy an expensive player to placate the team and fans....or is that financially foolish?

We can only wait and see.

15. Archers Road

We're all feeling the pain, it's how we deal with it that seems to have changed. Maybe it's a generational thing? A quote from Mick Channon, taken from his son's book; "never show weakness, to any ****er ever". A bit of an absurd approach to life maybe, but surely better than endless bellyaching?

16. SaintinNZ

Really balanced view. imo not trying verrrry hard to buy/loan in January would be irresponsible. We need more goals. They aren't there at the moment. Relegation form is where we currently are.

17. Archers Road

I would be astounded if we went down. No way are we one of the 3 worst sides in this division.

18. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Personally for me, last season's poor run under Koeman has taught me that patience is required in these situations. I was massively leaning towards giving him the boot, then he turned it around magically.

This season feels very different though, the players actually look so frustrated at each other, the manager, the fans.

It wouldn't surprise me if we don't buy anyone, as I'm not sure now is the right time. I think we will have to face a limbo season.

19. SaintinNZ

I agree. Are we one of the 5 worst though?What is undeniable is that form needs to change dramatically or the threat is real.

manxsaint and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  20. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Mmm you think that I think things are positive? I'll translate my post into simple words :) : I am pleased if people are having a bust up - it means they are not happy and want to change that..... because I don't think things are great

Now maybe I manage to put across my concerns in a way that isn't whining and moaning and griping or bitchin or slagging of the club or how it is run ... if that is what you meant, then I thank you. It is a good trait I have :emoticon-0148-yes: