1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Happy Wembley Day...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, May 24, 2017.

1. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Whatta Day! Dad loved it!:emoticon-0106-cryin

2. southerntiger

southerntiger Well-Known Member

I loved it too.
    At that point i had been going for over 40 years and had begun to think it would never happen.
    I think i will watch the dvd this weekend

3. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

Stayed right away and watched it on TV. Had been at several City matches since leaving the UK in 1966 and never seen them win.

Obviously it did the trick!

4. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

That was the moment that I fell in love with the club, and have no regrets. Just can't believe it's been 9 years now.

5. FILEYseadog

FILEYseadog Well-Known Member

Strange really

It was a ****ty day for me.

But a great day last sunday

X

6. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Different times

Sir Cheshire Ben likes this.
  7. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

That was the pinnacle of 45 years of supporting City, and can never ever be surpassed...First time at Wembley, first time in the top division (how weird does that sound now?), two City legends instrumental and one or two new ones created.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  8. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Some of the turds who mock Phil Brown have forgotten how he moulded that team, how he built a team of experienced leaders all over the pitch, how he talked the whole thing up constantly, how he got us to train at Arsenal's training ground, how he got the players to Wembley on the day before the game and let them take all their pics etc there and then, making sure they turned up in their 'work' gear on the Saturday unlike Bristol who got all giddy in their poncy suits.
    An eye for detail and the Man with a Plan, when no one in this city really knew The Way.

104 years to break through that glass ceiling, I was beginning to think I would never live to see it.
    I remember on tv when Stoke got promoted on the last day of that season, some commentator mentioned the 'unbelievable' joy and celebrations as Stoke ended their long 20 year exile from the top flight.
    How does that compare with emotions after our 104 year long wait, you donkey?

Tickton Tiger. and askewshair like this.
  9. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

Bang on as ever Askew <ok>

askewshair likes this.
  10. askewshair

Remember watching the NYD Made in Hull screening on the City Hall building, showing Deano and thinking how ironic nearly 9 years ago (and exactly 9 yrs today) on that same building he was pissed up dancing/stumbling/balancing on the wall of that balcony, with 20 odd (?) foot drop. Fantastic moment seeing a legend (at the time) feeling as exuberant as us.
    It could quite easily have ended tragically, same day Duff nearly got wiped out by a Holderness Rd bridge.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    dennisboothstash likes this.

11. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

Many of our ''fans'' gave the credit for our the win that day to Big Sam ....... you couldn't make it up.

askewshair likes this.
  12. City Man

So many little indicators that season of what was to come. Drawing at top of the table Stoke when they were banging it into Row Z to stop us getting the winner. The victory at WBA about 5 weeks after they had outclassed us at City. That win that night at Oakwell when Ash headed it in. Ash's late late header against Palace after dirty **** Shaun Derry had opened up Deano's calf with his studs while Warnock watched on approvingly.
    Great pacing that season and momentum going into playoffs.

13. askewshair

When Browny first came as caretaker, he immediately played 3 upfront. Fagan and Mcphee(?) provided the pacy width. Cant recall the striker. Certainly in England that formation was unheard of at the time.
    And apart from the obvious, I'll be eternally grateful for him giving me the opportunity of seeing cameos from JJ Okocha. Browny claims that JJ inspired the team that year despite only fleeting appearances.
    Everything he touched turned to gold in his first few years. Was it just his ego that took over? Seems to have settled in to a lower league bog standard manager now.
    What is it that lit that spark for that few years? He could even motivate people to want to live again when they'd already taken that first step off the edge of the Humber Bridge. But why could he never get close to reproducing it?

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  14. City Man

Maybe.
    Our transfer business after the first season up was pants. Out Turner and Marlon King in Ghilas and Altidore. It has been a constant feature of our 5 seasons up there...we nearly always **** up recruitment.

15. askewshair

I know what you mean, I was convinced we were going up that year and yet no real reason to believe. In fact the only ever season I actually bet on City getting promotion ( I rarely bet at all). Won 70 odd for a five pound bet, not sure at what point I'd get 14 to 1?

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  16. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

17. City Man

Oops! Forgot the win at NewFilbert Street at Easter. Deafening triumphant support, jerry built stand shaking, and carrot cruncher Holloway looking on disconsolately as Lesster slide into the third division.
    Result never in doubt from minute one.