1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hamilton to Mercedes

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Smithers, Apr 17, 2012.

?

Will Lewis sign a new contract and stay with Mclaren?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Remember when Hamilton signed with Mercedes Button said how that was a stupid move and that he (Button) would be in a better position than Hamilton? Even when Hamilton was in the team Button was constantly coming out saying he will be taking a lead and giving direction to Mclaren...somehow he had this thing in his head that he was this guru at setting up a car. We are into the second season since Hamilton left Mclaren and what can Button show for all the setup genius? Now he has started to blame his young rookie teammate saying Mclaren is suffering because they signed an inexperienced driver. So Button, who is the team taking direction from, you or the rookie?

Now Button is trying to play his mind games with Rosberg and Hamilton. And he is using this thing that Hamilton played mind games with him at Mclaren and now Hamilton is doing the same with Rosberg. Hamilton said Rosberg was faster than him in those two close races...was Hamilton telling the truth? If you check all the stats you will see that Rosberg was indeed faster than Hamilton, only that Hamilton held his nerve and showed superior race craft while defending and attacking when Rosberg got in front and he came out on top. Was Hamilton wrong to compliment his teammate who was indeed faster than him throughout the race and even in practice? If he had said ..Rosberg if was way faster than you but I didn't show my true speed then that to me would be lies and real mind game. Now he seems to be trying to put a wedge between the two mercedes drivers. Below is what he had to say. Remember this is a man who say he was going to lead Mclaren back to the top and was so excited saying how fast the car was in testing... He has the same mercedes engine as Hamilton, yet blaming his rookie teammate for the team's woes.

Sunday 18th May 2014, 14:00 by Ryan Wood

© Daimler
    Jenson Button believes Nico Rosberg will rise above his team-mate Lewis Hamilton's attempts to distract him and play with his mind.
    The McLaren driver said he's witnessed the 2008 champion's mind games first hand when he partnered Hamilton at McLaren and he expects Hamilton will do the same to Rosberg in an attempt to get the upper hand.
    "I am sure there will - if there aren't already - be mind games going on. There were a few things he played on me," Button told BT Sport.
    "It would work on some drivers, whereas others it just makes them stronger because they laugh it off.
    "Nico is intelligent to know if Lewis is playing mind games or not, which in some ways could help Nico or harm him. He might just end up getting fed up with it."
    Some believe Hamilton has already begun doing so after he claimed Rosberg had been quicker in both Bahrain and Spain despite coming second to the Briton at both.
    Meanwhile Button is certain Mercedes will treat both equally, not just to appease the pair, but for the good of the sport.
    "The thing is with that team is because they are going to walk away with it - I know we are only five races in, but they have such a big lead - they're not going to favour just one driver.
    "They will let their drivers race because they need to keep the show going, and we need them to keep the show going and let both drivers race."
    - See more at: http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/08885#sthash.zjl3Od6e.dpuf

2. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Now this is what Hamilton had to say that is helping him to do much better...and it makes sense.

Mercedes
    Share0 Tweet3
    Hamilton reveals key areas of progress since 2013
    ESPN Staff
    May 18, 2014 « 'What we need is power' - Grosjean

© Getty Images
    Enlarge
    Lewis Hamilton says he has made progress in several areas this year to get the Mercedes' handling to his liking.

Hamilton joined Mercedes from McLaren last year, but openly admitted he was not driving at his best in a car that had been designed around the driving styles of Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher. However, Hamilton says he has been working with Mercedes over the winter to find a middle ground that suits him better.

"It's a lengthy process," he said. "Obviously last year, when you request something to be changed, it takes some time because obviously you don't want to take away their focus from the most important things which is getting downforce. I think it's just taken some time.

"Michael had a different driving style to me. He required different things, different seating position, different set-up. I guess Nico and Michael both kind of gelled and went in one direction with the balance and then as I've come along, mine is slightly different and I guess we've then created a hybrid: Nico's come halfway, I've come halfway so we now require the same things from the car."

One area Hamilton struggled with last year was braking, but he is confident he has made progress in that area as well as improving the overall balance of the car.

"Particularly this year, it's been braking. Working on the simulator last year, analysing data of how hard you hit the brake, the brake pivot position, the master cylinder, different brake material and really focusing on brake settings. For example, I told them to go away and develop, I gave them a software idea and they went away and developed a piece of software which I use and which helps me come up with brake migration and all that kind of stuff.

"Set-up wise, I've been really pushing the guys because I like an oversteering car, but the car is too oversteery now. Last year I was struggling generally and really uncomfortable understanding some of the technical things they have on the car that Nico had been using for years. He knew it, so every time we did the debrief I didn't understand what he was talking about, but he was using it to his advantage, so it was really studying that and making sure that I knew how to use it to my advantage too. It took all of last year to really understand what feeling it was giving me. Last year things were happening and I just thought the car was not underneath me."

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/mercedes/motorsport/story/158731.html#g1OWJJOCtlJHx379.99

3. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

But what if Hamilton and Mercedes are CHEATING?

4. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Then let's blast them... Did you see the flapping front wings? Hey I think his earrings are giving him a bit too much downforce that surely must be illegal.

5. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not sure why you are jumping up and down about Button? Everyone thought (well most) that it was a crazy decision to leave McLaren for an unproven Merc, but had made that secession and fair play to him! What we dont know is why? Did he leave because he was pissed off, because he wanted more money, because he felt that Rosberg was a better bet than Button, or because he new McLaren would be changing engine? None of us know if it was an inspired decision, pure luck or because he felt that had couldn't win a WDC with Button in the same team? Regardless, I say fair play and good luck!

With regards to the development and KM thing,it's a team issue that their car is ****e, just as it's a team success that Merc's is great - not a driver failure or driver success! He didn't slate KM he stated a fact that a Rookie will struggle with feedback compared to someone like Hamilton - that's pretty Fukin obvious!

6. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Well... By all accounts, it seemed that he and Big Ron had a bit of a tiff, and McLaren were generally making one bad decision after another. It was just time to cut the cord and look for greener pastures. If RBR would have taken him, he'd have likely gone there, Ferrari were team Alonso, so the natural choice after that was Merc, and it looks like it might pay off.

Long way to go yet though.

7. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

I don't think Sgt was surprised..he predicted he would go over to mercedes..lol

Button keeps saying things that make him look foolish... This is what he said..

"We're not doing a good enough job, we're really not," an unhappy Button told the BBC.

According to the Englishman, the team are paying the price for appointing an inexperienced driver in the shape of rookie team-mate Magnussen.

"It does make it more difficult, I'm not going to lie about that," said Button. "Kevin is inexperienced, and although he is learning quickly, there is a still tenth or two [not] there from him not having as much information or experience as we should have."

Button's mood was not improved by a frustrating race in Spain which saw him beaten to the chequered flag by the cars of six other teams. The 2009 World Champion was the embodiment of irritation afterwards.

What about button's input...I am sure the car was built before the rookie was signed with the team, so much of the direction if not all was based on button's feedback....and we know where that is right now. So instead of spreading discord within the mercedes team he needs to try to take advantage of that mercedes engine and the big name Mclaren has ...don't you think?

8. SgtBhaji

Simple process of elimination really. Given the options available to Hamilton and Merc's need to get one of the top crop of drivers.

9. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Well you made the call...and although I favoured Mclaren I wanted him to make the move because I was of the opinion that they were holding him back and he needed another team in which to blossom and help develop a new car with new rules etc. and mercedes was a good bet.

10. Smithers

Forum Moderator

So let me get this right. Button's feedback is **** and that is the reason that the all new 2014 car is not competitive and that Button is disrespecting KM for not be able to feedback as effectively as a Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso on the car that has always been ****? By that logic, Alonso must be **** as well!

11. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you suggesting that Hamilton has developed this car? The all new car, with the new power unit which was developed 2 years ago?

12. SgtBhaji

Drivers will always have a hand in developing the car. Be it time in the simulator or in the past, testing. How much that adds to the final product and which drivers are better at providing useful feedback is a matter of debate.

13. Han Shot First

Han Shot First New Member

Can he go back to Mclaren please?

14. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have it on reliable sources that he designed McLaren's areo single-handedly from 2007 to 2012. He got fed up with Jenson's feedback holding him back and had to leave.

15. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not true.
    He's been operating under the ghost name of Newey since 2009 <ok>

16. Han Shot First

Han Shot First New Member

17. SgtBhaji

All WRONG.. During that period he was fully devoted to building the Large Hadron Collider. Get yer bloody facts straight!!!

FACT!

^bolded for emphasis!

18. SgtBhaji

Atkinson or Weasley?

19. fevriul

fevriul Well-Known Member

<party><party><party><party><party><party><party><party><party><party><party><party><party><party><party><party><party><party><party><party> HAHAHAHAHA

20. Di Resta is faster than u

He only moved there for the money.