1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Højbjerg: Why Saints was right for me

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

It was that same motivation that led to Højbjerg making the choice to leave Bayern and move to Southampton last summer.

“It's like when I was small,” he says. “I could be there, I could be in maybe one of the best teams in the world, I could be in the team photo and all the posters and make autographs and say 'I'm a Bayern Munich player' but would I be happy with that? No. I know I wouldn't be happy with that.

“I was not happy to just be a part of it. I was not happy just to be in the biggest club in the world, with a fantastic coach, with fantastic people around it. As much as I loved Bayern Munich, as much as I felt at home, you need to leave home to grow up.”

“I came to Southampton because I spoke to the people there and I felt immediately captivated by it,” he says. “I remember calling my agent in the morning, and I said ‘I spoke with the coach, I spoke with some people and it needs to be this. Forget everything else, I will go tomorrow to Southampton.’

“It’s like a flower that is about to blossom. I saw so much potential in the club that I said ‘Ok, this is the right place for me.’ I also said to people, ‘I don't go to Southampton to make the next step to a bigger club.’ This is not the reason I'm here. I go to Southampton to make Southampton go to the next level.

“I know that I will not do it alone and I will not do it just me, but I can be a part of it and I believe that I can be in the team where we change things to something better.”

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2016-12-25/pierre-emile-hojbjerg-saints-magazine-feature

Just a short part from his long interview. It's worth a read.

Dell Boy, VVD, holierthanthou and 5 others like this.
  2. steve79

steve79 Well-Known Member

Posted this yesterday in the saints thread:1980_boogie_down:<cheers>

3. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Deserved a real thread tbf and didn't see your post, sorry. :emoticon-0110-tongu

holierthanthou and steve79 like this.
  4. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

I like it. Good man.

5. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

This is so good for the ego of the Saints fan!

6. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Happy Christmas Pierre.

Avoid Saintsweb, and probably this place too following any disappointing results.

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

The criticism he gets sometimes is a little unfair. Too many fans seem to feel the need to criticise every miss-placed pass. The young lad clearly has bags of ability, a good football brain and a maturity beyond his years. He's going to be a fabulous footballer, but amazingly he doesn't seem to have walked on to our hallowed turf and become Lothar Mattheus overnight.

8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

If a player was faultless and brilliant every match, he wouldn't be here and would cost 80 mill. Talented but still learning is what we will get. Puel has very good reasons for rotating all the time and this will be probably be vindicated by May, but it does make it hard for players like Pierre who need a run in the team.

9. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

Love the fact that his dad was a doctor of anthropology. Had an interest in studying that myself at one point. His mum was French I believe. The romantic in me wonders how they met!
    I really like the lad. He's a nice player to watch. He has that level of technical ability that makes football (for me) such a beautiful game to watch at times. Want him to get his goal. He's a passionate and it would be good to see him celebrate.

10. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

....and he is intelligent and articulate which is bloody rare for a footballer.

11. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

1st half v Bournemouth was the poorest I had seen him play. He seemed out of sorts and struggled to get going.

He grew into the game through, didn't hide or shirk a challenge. Showing signs of becoming a very good player. Liking his attitude too.

Good lad.

ChilcoSaint and fatletiss like this.
  12. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Yep, he seems to have a top, top attitude. I'm a big fan.

13. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Was he under Club punishment at Everton for the strop he threw when subbed off?

14. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Doubt it ... I assumed it was just rotation. Not the first time a player has randomly disapeared out the matchday squad this season.

15. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Højbjerg is still very young but he has enormous potential which he will realise with the right coaching and encouragement.

16. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. He, as much as anyone, is suffering from the 'group confidence' issue.