1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gustav Engall - £2m player on Loan..

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Mar 14, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Club confirm Bristol City transfer agreement, announcement to be made soon

Swedish club Djurgarden have confirmed they’ve reached a transfer agreement with Bristol City for the loan of Gustav Engvall. The Swedish club’s Director of Football Bosse Andersson revealed the agreement to Aftonbladet.

Speaking to the Swedish newspaper Andersson explained: “We are in agreement with Bristol that Gustav Engvall will play for Djurgarden. He will join us shortly.”

The Swedish football season starts the first weekend of April, and the transfer window doesn’t close until the end of March, making the move possible.

Engvall off the wage bill, hence the agreement over the player’s Ashton Gate exit.

The two clubs arranged the deal a while ago but worries over Tammy Abraham’s fitness led to Bristol City pulling out.

Djurgarden have loaned Engvall for the whole Swedish season, which runs from April until November, although Bristol City have a callback clause they can use during the summer.

• please log in to view this image

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

It's strange that we tie all of this money up in players like Engvall & Taylor- Moore and we are looking almost doomed after a season of failure at the bottom of the Championship, yet we have these luxuries playing elsewhere.

"There aren't many young, English centre-halves as good as he is," said head coach Lee Johnson ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37184021

"This is another big transfer for us and it's taken a lot of hard work from a lot of people," said head coach Lee Johnson.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37230484

Sorry but this is yet another area where our little genius has let us down badly, I know I am going to have all of the Johnson luvies and happy clappers making the obvious statements ' building for the future' or ' investment in youth' or 'building strength from with in' , we are in the bottom 4, half the star signing can't even get a start in the first team at the moment, we are signing average players, inexperienced players or League 1 standard players that can't seem to hack it.

"I think we've got ourselves a natural goalscorer," Bristol City manager Lee Johnson..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38808100

"I'm pleased to have Adam back with us," head coach Lee Johnson told the club's official website.
    "He certainly fits the bill in terms of quality and experience at this level."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36914116

"He brings that experience, he's very assured as a human and also as a footballer," City boss Lee Johnson told BBC Radio Bristol.
    "He's very calm in possession of the football and he's very calm in his decision making and defending."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37271257

Poor management, bad investment, below par signings, poor judgement, god help us..

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  3. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Anybody who thought that Moore or Engvall would be ready for an immediate impact in the Championship is quite frankly an idiot. These players are the poster boys for the building for the future scenarios. Its not their fault that the players who should be making an impact this season are not doing so, which focus people's attention on these two signings.

Supcon72, RedorDead and BCFCRob like this.
  4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Anybody that invests £15 plus million and leads his club into the position of insecurity we are now in is the idiot, a complete idiot, just look at his failures with his signings and all of the other areas I won't dwell on.

I have just given some simple facts and I will let them demonstate the inadequacies of the man.

5. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

£15 Million is nothing in the Championship, its average spend for a club, (not forgetting that we are actually in profit on our transfers dealings), there are 17 or so teams in the Division who have been in the Premiership at one point all another, competing with these teams on any level isn't a walk in the park. Anybody that thinks £15 million is a lot of money in the Championship should probably go and support Mansfield Town or some similar club. This is football in the modern era, not your jumpers for goalpost's game from thirty or forty years ago.

Yes its a disappointing season but the building for the future policy is a good one and the likes of Engvall, Moore, O'Dowda, Brownhill, De Girolemo, Magnusson and even Zak Vyner have plenty of time to come good and look astute signings.

manxrobin, Supcon72 and RedorDead like this.
  6. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

THE GULF is getting bigger, teams like Norwich, Newcastle, Villa,QPR and Cardiff are all in benefit from parachutes...possibly Reading and Wigan still having residual amounts1 that's almost 1 in 3 of the teams. WE cannot compete with that, we need to try and get up there, survive a season or 2 try and build and should we fail try again = get in that loop!
    I don't think it is happy clapping to "see" what others might not ... the future, (in any form) ..investment in youth, where do a lot of the bigger teams get most of their "youngsters " from? they poach from lower leagues ! we are doing similar. Building strength from within now this comment is difficult to classify/comprehend, My interpretation would be that we get our players at an early age and guide them to how we would like to play as this would put the 1-2 - 3 of "future" -"youth" - "within" in an understandable course of action, and that wont be "a season"
    with the closure of all dealings (almost) of transfers and loans outside the transfer windows is this a bit of clever thinking on behalf of CITY!
    Imagine the scenario of 2 or more players from the same position being out right back /strikers you go and get a loan! not now Did Vyner do well? I think he did....

As for loans ... these can be very hit Tammy OR miss = quite a list

7. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I know you're seemingly arguing against each other but I think you're both correct here to be fair. Completely agree, I think Taylor Moore has a very exciting future and it's not his or Engvall's fault that the first choice XI are not performing properly.

8. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I am trying to highlight through the examples given in the thread how we have, the club have suffered by the choices made, lack of experience, imaturity, lack of quality, history of injuries, p0or temperament, low stamina and general fitness, we have inherited with some of these players ,when you read the examples of waffle handed out by Johnson it demonstrates his personality and spin and why we are sinking.

I agree the quality of our younger members is looking a lot better but It will be wasted if we drop down a league in our current campaign and we leave it to them hopefully to lift us back out of the the 3rd tier, I don't think they would match up to the quality of the team Steve Cotterill assembled and it would be a hard task to get back with LJ as our manager based on his performance of the current season.

I have got to give full credit to Johnson for his signing of Tammy, fair play he is a winner, if he , LJ succeeds in maintaining our status I will be over the moon and will pay him all due credit for doing so but let us not forget his dismal failures during the past season are down to him and he is the cause of our very poor results, judging by decisions other clubs have had to make he has been a very lucky chap, he deserves the boot based on his pathetic record but he is obviously a Steve Lansdown project.

Johnson is our weakness, what ever happens in the next few weeks it is down to him, there is no one else left for him to pass the buck to or blame, the transfers both in and out are down to him, the loanees are down to him, the players placements are down to him, the back stabbing and sacking of Pemberton and Taylor are down to him, the buck stops with him, I hope he goes, he has let us down.

I want us to stay up and I hope and pray we do, I truly don't want our club relegated and I am as frustrated as anyone about our situation, I hate being negative bit I am old enough and realistic enough to know the direction in which we are heading with this guy in charge.

9. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

And what about the smaller clubs at this level whose comparatively meagre resources when compared to ours belie their league positions because they have people in charge who have a clue what it's all about
    Preston
    Barnsley
    Brentford
    Burton
    for starters

10. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

City have brought in 17/18 new players? recently only three were in the first team. Johnson obviously doesn't think they are good enough!!!

How much do you think is a lot for Bristol City and then how much would not be nothing in the championship??? if City can afford more than nothing shouldn't they be making sure of better value and spending the money on players who will play in the first team now instead of rolling the dice???

11. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

What makes you think the manner of player you are suggesting would want to come to Bristol City when players like Kodjia, Ayling and Freeman are fighting to escape here ?

12. ibodyslamrhinos

ibodyslamrhinos Active Member

Anyone who thinks building for the future before you are even close to having a sustainable present is also an idiot and might as well sit on the FA. Another group of incompetents who are trying to emulate models that stopped working a long time ago. Deluded.

13. BCFCRob

What do you mean by a 'sustainable present'? Do you not think that with a decent manager we'd instantly be on course to that?

14. ibodyslamrhinos

ibodyslamrhinos Active Member

I'm saying that unless you are considered one of the better teams in your division (top 6) there is very little point in building a future team. Any progress the likes of Engvall or any of these supposed "future" players make, they will be snapped up off of us. So why bother? We aren't a big club, we are a feeder club to the likes of Burnley for crying out loud.

What is the point on using large resources to recruit young hot prospects that we may only have for a season? You need to have a strong first team before you worry about spending large capital on fringe youth.

You can't build for a future that may never materialise, especially if you don't have the ability to compete with what you have in the present. That's horrendous business sense and even more silly in football.

Cotterill and Millen had the right idea, loan these fantastic prospects or sign very competent journeyman looking to run out their careers, then they can take you to the next level so you can compete to sign and hold a team round them. We don't have the ability to sign a future star and keep hold of them. How long does it take to learn that? Kodjia, Heaton, Bolasie, Adomah, Maynard.

15. BCFCRob

That's completely the opposite approach to how I'd take it but each to their own. Sensible purchases and long-term planning with transfers has worked for clubs like Bournemouth and to a lesser extent Brighton. Yet signing competent journeymen was ultimately what caused our downfall in the Championship under GJ.

16. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

you are implying city can get decent. I think City do and have. Problem is Johnson.

17. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

If a cracking young player became available and the following list of managers were chasing him who would he favour...?

Steve Bruce.
    Neil Warnock.
    Gary Rowett..
    Gary Monk.
    Mark Warburton.
    Rafael Benitez.
    Jaap Stam.
    Chris Hughton.

or Lee Johnson

Frankly, we don't stand a chance.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  18. BCFCRob

But that's not how it works. You're not going to have all of those clubs interested, it's based on the market, what money clubs have, what positions clubs need to strengthen in.

We've signed plenty of mid to high rep players. Going by that logic, we'd never have been able to sign Gary O'Neil, Lee Tomlin, Josh Brownhill (very highly rated by many clubs before joining), Aaron Wilbraham, JET and Sam Baldock. Just a few examples over the past 5 years or so.

19. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Over recent years we've talked like big shots, but we can't deliver a believable or sustainable plan when it comes to attracting top talent on or off the field.

We are and am beginning to think always will be, just a small provincial football club when compared to the likes of Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and co.

And that in itself is hugely sad when I think of what we could be if a little thought was put into it............................

20. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

No doubting the validity of this argument, a mixture of a manager that suits, players that perform and their own "feed them through/ pick them up from lower leagues format. Brentford over the past couple seasons been good at that, PNE 4 years in div 1 planning for champs! in the past Crewe were good at it, finding and selling players that helped them be stable, as was Burnley long before the massive premiership handouts ..
    is this a format City is trying to adopt out with stop start/ knee jerks and lets do as builders do put in the foundations and then build a skyscraper !