1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Great Goal by Dempsey USA v Canada

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cheetahyz, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Cheetahyz

Cheetahyz Member

USA's Gold Cup campaign kicked off versus Canada last night. Dempsey had a great goal and attempted a freakishly cool "scorpion" kick. Both highlights are toward the end.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/06/usa-vs-canada-the-highlights.html

Ps. If you do watch the whole video, that's Landon Donovan with the excellent assist to Jozy Altidore for the first goal. Both players have been linked to Fulham at one time or another ... But, then, what Yank hasn't been linked to Fulham at one time or another? Heh heh.

Pss. I wonder why Fulham has never toured the USA? There are many supporters groups here. I even own a "Fulhamerica" t-shirt. I think the support Fulham has Over here in Yankland would really surprise you.

COYW!

2. Cheetahyz

Cheetahyz Member

Also, Bocanegra captained and played well at left back. He plays that position in France for St. Ettienne who did quite good this season. I have mixed feelings about Salcido, but watching Boca last night made me think it might have been nice to still Boca for Fulham.

3. valjing

valjing Member

Cheetahyz
    Often thought that myself,re: the touring. I go every year to see my son and family in LA,
    and behind Man U, Liverpool,Chelsea, Fulham have a sizeable following,not only in
    LA but the whole of California and they are not all ex pats.
    The atmosphere in the sports bars that show,prem soccer is truly amazing.
    "Landon Donovan" yes please.

4. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Ah, the American connection rf, we've found it!

5. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

Damn Americans. Will they never stop!

I saw the clip on Youtube ... Dempsey's goal was typical of him, but the highlights showed more the quality of Altidore then Dempsey.

6. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

DR Clint is still one of our 3 best players,as was that other great yank Brian Mc Bride.
    Altidore definitely did not hack it over here.

7. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

roscafre - I was just joking about the American thing. Most of the people on this board know I'm an American, though recently the German tax office has taken an interest in making me a Deutschland resident. Fulham's actually had six Americans on staff, though really only three made a serious impact (Carlos Bocanegra, Brian McBride and Dempsey).

You're right about Altidore - he had a golden chance in 09/10 to make an impact with Hull, but just never shined. The manager said at the time that if he practiced with the intensity that he played, he could have been a star in the EPL. He's got pace, size, strength ... technically he's not bad. He always seems to play well for the US, but can't seem to find himself at the club level. He's a complete mystery.